Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

3 minutes ago, Blarmy said:

Ok, @leicsmac doesn’t like what Hornby did either but disagrees with you on the part I quoted - I guess it’s hard for companies trying to do their bit to get it right. And yes, I think that’s what they’re doing - their bit. I doubt they’ll make much on these anyway, and probably could have produced a short run of something else they would have made more profit on.  

But screw em, eh? Cash or don’t bother. 

Maybe I could have phrased that better. 'Raising Awareness' is a catch-all term and in some cases can be beneficial - like what I highlighted (links to charities, giving a voice to certain minorities etc) - but in other cases is tokenistic and adds nothing. If I held some sort of local event to 'raise awareness for breast cancer' but did nothing other than put a pink ribbon on some flyers you would say that my actions were perhaps well-intended, but ultimately achieved nothing. Everyone already knows about the issue - at least superficially - so just acknowledgement of it existing isn't enough.

And as for the profitability/fund-raising, well...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Xen said:

Maybe I could have phrased that better. 'Raising Awareness' is a catch-all term and in some cases can be beneficial - like what I highlighted (links to charities, giving a voice to certain minorities etc) - but in other cases is tokenistic and adds nothing. If I held some sort of local event to 'raise awareness for breast cancer' but did nothing other than put a pink ribbon on some flyers you would say that my actions were perhaps well-intended, but ultimately achieved nothing. Everyone already knows about the issue - at least superficially - so just acknowledgement of it existing isn't enough.

And as for the profitability/fund-raising, well...

Which is what I think their second post is referring too - if it sells enough and makes enough, they will donate. You’re right, it’s well intended and I just can’t see how anyone in support of this cause can see that Hornby model as a bad thing. 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

Drug prescription packaging 

Case in point collected my monthly medicines from Boots earlier and received a non recyclable bag stapled together. Each of my 4 boxes from different drug companies then has each end of the box cellotaped to seal them shut. 

Surely theres gotta be a better solution than this? 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Xen said:

Companies seeking to profit off of Pride month and their unashamedly tokenistic gestures. Case in point; Hornby releasing a new pride-themed wagon to 'support' the LGBTQ+ community but then coming out with this clarification:

So, really, it's purely to capitalise on and take advantage of pride month in order to spin a profit. Literally nothing to do with this is going to benefit LGBTQ+ people/charities in any way whatsoever. 

'Pink-washing' is already annoying when companies do the bare minimum, but it's even more infuriating when it's entirely self serving like in this case.

Credit where it's due, they've since followed up with an apology, acknowledged the criticism and are now asking for suggestions of which charities to donate some of the proceeds to. 

Like I said, I don't think there was necessarily any bad intentions in this case (although there are certainly some companies which have done so whilst fully aware), but it does show a lack of thought and awareness as to what they were initially involving themselves in. Glad to see they're taking steps to remedy that though.

Oh and that's four years after selling a world cup to Russian gas money, where homosexuality is only fairly recently no longer classified as a mental illness, where there's rampant homophobia and where there's no recognition whatsoever of homosexual relationships. 

• Thanks 1

To elaborate on the above discussion...what grinds my gears and has done for some time now is how ridiculous interpretations of supposedly holy words, themselves written and interpreted by fallible humans, are still allowed to be an arbiter of state policy and therefore often a blunt tool of repression against groups who have done nothing to deserve it not only in some parts of the world but in most of them. Over a thousand years or more after those words were written.

Not only is it ethically awful, from the standpoint of human survival it's practically daft too. When can we move on, please?

Edited by leicsmac

1 hour ago, RonnieTodger said:

The way companies and banks do everything to avoid actually having to talk to you on the phone.

Press 1 for more automated options

Press 2 for a loop three steps back

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

The way companies and banks do everything to avoid actually having to talk to you on the phone.

Yep. A sub-element of that is the way they hide their phone number in some obscure corner of their web site (often no number under "Contacts").

That's fine if they want to encourage punters to use electronic customer service systems - but sometimes you do need to speak to someone.

On similar lines, incompetently designed online forms. I had a minor example of that on the LCFC site when renewing my season ticket today.

I got rid of my landline several years ago, but noticed my old number was still included in my details. I tried to delete it but the system wouldn't accept the box being left blank or me writing "None", insisting on a number.....so I had to leave a years out-of-date landline number to be allowed to get my season ticket...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Strokes said:

Why?

Because I'm fairly confident nobody is blaming six year old white girls for slavery.

I may be wrong of course. The girl pictured could be an active slave trader earning a fortune from the slaves she had transported from the Ivory Coast who are now working on her cotton plantation, meaning both myself and my shit for brains cousin who shared this bollocks on Facebook will both have egg on our faces

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Because I'm fairly confident nobody is blaming six year old white girls for slavery.

I may be wrong of course. The girl pictured could be an active slave trader earning a fortune from the slaves she had transported from the Ivory Coast who are now working on her cotton plantation, meaning both myself and my shit for brains cousin who shared this bollocks on Facebook will both have egg on our faces

I reckon the Japanese girl definitely has a kamikaze look about her though.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wymsey said:

I have no clue as to her stupidity except to say, in my youth my mates and I would dare each other to lie in between the rails of a mainline track. We were young and stupid and we did, but you could hear the rumble of the train ages before it got close. We were stupid too but we got out of the way in plenty of time, enough time in fact as to be away from the track by several metres and wave at the train as it went by.