Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

16 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

image.png.ea4e06ce0d4e964d69bf291c43341ce0.png

lol

If we abolish the rich that's all MPs, all top level footballers, all film stars, job creating businesses and loads more.

It's almost like she hasn't thought it through!

11 minutes ago, bovril said:

It's because Jeffrey kept trolling people about Queer Farmer. 

And posting political polls in a politics thread which some didn't like because the results didn't suit them lol

FWIW, nobody was trolling anyone.

Cheers,

Jeff

x

20 minutes ago, bovril said:

It's because Jeffrey kept trolling people about Queer Farmer. 

Tbh, I'd not bothered to follow it during its last few days. Here's an idea - why doesn't someone start a 'Politics 2021' thread?

Edited by String fellow

On the topic above and in keeping with what the thread is meant for:

How idiot neo-Malthusianism seems to stretch across the entire political compass. Far too many folks who should know better spouting "too many people" while being utter hypocrites by not doing what they could do to help the problem if they really felt that strongly about it.

We don't have a human population problem. We have a logistics problem, which in itself has several different causes of varying complexity.

Yes, there is a climate crisis that is already happening and is only going to get worse without being addressed directly, yes, people aren't taking that shit seriously enough until it knocks on their doors personally, and yes, there are social and political reasons to blame for it...but boiling it down to a ridiculous soundbite like the one above is unnecessary bollocks of the highest order.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

On the topic above and in keeping with what the thread is meant for:

How idiot neo-Malthusianism seems to stretch across the entire political compass. Far too many folks who should know better spouting "too many people" while being utter hypocrites by not doing what they could do to help the problem if they really felt that strongly about it.

We don't have a human population problem. We have a logistics problem, which in itself has several different causes of varying complexity.

Yes, there is a climate crisis that is already happening and is only going to get worse without being addressed directly, yes, people aren't taking that shit seriously enough until it knocks on their doors personally, and yes, there are social and political reasons to blame for it...but boiling it down to a ridiculous soundbite like the one above is unnecessary bollocks of the highest order.

If there was little to no logistics problem, how many people could we sustain?

46 minutes ago, Nalis said:

If there was little to no logistics problem, how many people could we sustain?

Unfortunately that's a question on which there is little consensus and a hundred different answers:

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20160311-how-many-people-can-our-planet-really-support

There's loads of different scientific papers around quoting different figures and precious little agreement. In fact, I honestly thought there was more consensus than there is, and so I should qualify my above remarks by saying that I believe the Earth can sustain 9-11 billion people (which is what some projections have it topping out at given current rate of growth) if currently existing technology and logistics, as well as new developments in growing food and sourcing water were applied correctly and evenly.

Edit: I should add that I believe this because necessity is the mother of invention in a lot of cases, we're not seeing any *imminent* signs of a population crash right now with nearly eight billion people already here despite the disparity in levels of consumption between some groups of humans and others (which I think we would if the actual carrying capacity of the Earth was much lower), and given one side of the debate involves the death of a great many human beings, because I'm not a total misanthrope I'm going to take the other side as the null hypothesis until proven wrong beyond any reasonable doubt.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Unfortunately that's a question on which there is little consensus and a hundred different answers:

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20160311-how-many-people-can-our-planet-really-support

There's loads of different scientific papers around quoting different figures and precious little agreement. In fact, I honestly thought there was more consensus than there is, and so I should qualify my above remarks by saying that I believe the Earth can sustain 9-11 billion people (which is what some projections have it topping out at given current rate of growth) if currently existing technology and logistics, as well as new developments in growing food and sourcing water were applied correctly and evenly.

Edit: I should add that I believe this because necessity is the mother of invention in a lot of cases, we're not seeing any *imminent* signs of a population crash right now with nearly eight billion people already here despite the disparity in levels of consumption between some groups of humans and others (which I think we would if the actual carrying capacity of the Earth was much lower), and given one side of the debate involves the death of a great many human beings, because I'm not a total misanthrope I'm going to take the other side as the null hypothesis until proven wrong beyond any reasonable doubt.

Thanks, I was genuinely interested as I didn't have a clue personally.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

Pointless car modifications such as;

Raised number plate text

Black carbon fibre bonnets

Metal dustcaps

Don't see the benefit of the outlay

I don't see the benefit either but it hardly grinds my gears. For some people their car is their pride and joy and they obviously get pleasure from modding it.

I think what people do to their cars is a very personal thing and a bit like music taste. What you and I think is shit, others will think is amazing. I guess if it's your car, you can do what the hell you want with it!

• Like 1

Just now, Izzy said:

I don't see the benefit either but it hardly grinds my gears. For some people their car is their pride and joy and they obviously get pleasure from modding it.

I think what people do to their cars is a very personal thing and a bit like music taste. What you and I think is shit, others will think is amazing. I guess if it's your car, you can do what the hell you want with it!

Spot on Izzy. I'm not someone who mods their car, but as you say, it's personal taste. And to some people, their car is everything to them. Some people may say the things people do to their houses are pointless, like hanging baskets, garden arches, various types of decoration inside. It's all pointless, we should all have nothing in our gardens and magnolia walls clearly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

I put some Audi metal dust caps on mine as they came with another purchase as a free gift.

They were nicked within a week. 

Yeah, sorry.

They look so much better on mine.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, The Bear said:

I put some Audi metal dust caps on mine as they came with another purchase as a free gift.

They were nicked within a week. 

When I was a lad my pride and joy was my Mongoose BMX. I once parked it outside Wigston swimming baths and had the presence of mind to take the “custom” dice valve caps off it before I went in.

I came out and my bike had been nicked. 

• Haha 3