Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

He'd bury Sampras more often that not on hard and clay courts if you ask me, he'd give him a good go on grass as well, some might disagree though.

The reason serve volley game has diminished is because of the ability of the players to return these days, I would honestly have Murray beating Sampras even on grass. On clay Murray wins everytime

Edited by foxes_rule1978

The reason serve volley game has diminished is because of the ability of the players to return these days, I would honestly have Murray beating Sampras even on grass. On clay Murray wins everytime

I dunno, Pete was very very good on grass. Basing that on Agassi struggling against him who was more of an all round player.

Really???? I disagree, they are above boring.

Different people have a different definition to the term 'character'.

In snooker, either Alex Higgins or John Virgo could be described as characters depending on who you spoke to.

Really???? I disagree, they are above boring.

There's note boring about Nick kyrgios lol although I'd tend to use a four letter word instead of character.

On a completely different subject no Djokovic no Murray no troicki at the weekend lol I presume we will go with Evans and Edmund. Serbian tennis players after those two? Tipsarevic? lol I'm terrible for mixing up my ex yugoslav states.....is he Serbian?

Murray's become a master of his craft and from such raw beginnings. He's a master both technically, tactically and psychologically with the help of those around him.

Today's performance was an inspiration. His ability to consistently return Raonic's booming serves into mostly useful places was effective as giving his opponent a plastic sword.

His own serving accuracy and consistency added to what amounted to almost constant pressure which left Raonic with no time, no comfort and no effective reply.

You could see it most by how often he put sometimes easy shots into the net through trying so desperately to limit Murray's pressure. But Murray's not just a retriever and slogger like so many tennis failures. He asks some kind of question - and often a damned difficult one - with every shot in terms of varying the pace, the spin, the slice and negating predictable patterns in his play.

On to of all that he's both strong, brave, aggressive and totally focused. Qualities which combine to give him a level of concentration and both calculated and instinctive ruthlessness to be effective.

His other important ability is being able to vary his tactics and to apply a strategy and it was clear today that Raonic was a novice against a craftsman, a player of potential against a now formidable and rightly celebrated champion.. .          

To sum it up in non essay form like Thrac.

Murray's return game was too good, his defense was too good and his passing shots were too good.

Djokovic & Murray are streets ahead, no point mentioning anybody else.

Edited by kingfox

GB go to Serbia with Murray as a spectator (no Djoko for Serbia either tbf) and turn them over. Fantastic stuff.

Edmund seems to be developing well, hopefully he'll continue to rise up the rankings and be a capable singles pick for the DC way into the future - he's got time on his side.

Argentina in the semifinal - not sure if GB will be home or away for that one yet.

Edmund will be a good player. Definitely top 20 material if he can improve his serve and movement a bit.

Backhand is already more solid than it was and forehand is already at a world class level.

Edited by martyn

• 3 weeks later...