Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

25 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Anyone have any ideas where I can find clothing suitable for chunky people?

Looking for 4xl top/42 waist I think.

Struggling to find anything for fathers day :mellow:

http://extralargeclothing.co.uk/

https://www.bigmenonline.co.uk/

https://www.highandmighty.co.uk/

https://www.bigclothing4u.co.uk/

Edited by Buce
  • Thanks 1

The TV I bought when we moved house (LG 49L594V) when scanning in the channels gives a satellite dish option. I've connected it to the dish that was here when we moved. In scans in 158 channels, but when I try to watch anything it's just a blank screen. Do I need a freesat box?

45 minutes ago, Webbo said:

The TV I bought when we moved house (LG 49L594V) when scanning in the channels gives a satellite dish option. I've connected it to the dish that was here when we moved. In scans in 158 channels, but when I try to watch anything it's just a blank screen. Do I need a freesat box?

If it offers satellite as an option it implies it's got a built in Freesat tuner so you shouldn't need a separate box. Are they definitely satellite channels?

Am I to assume you don't have an aerial? I don't think there's much on Freesat that's not on Freeview

7 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

If it offers satellite as an option it implies it's got a built in Freesat tuner so you shouldn't need a separate box. Are they definitely satellite channels?

Am I to assume you don't have an aerial? I don't think there's much on Freesat that's not on Freeview

I do have an aeriel but it's very unreliable. I have to rescan the channels 3 or 4 times a week, hence looking for an alternative.

13 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I do have an aeriel but it's very unreliable. I have to rescan the channels 3 or 4 times a week, hence looking for an alternative.

Is the screen completely blank or does it say what channel it's supposed be but without any picture behind it?

1 minute ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Is the screen completely blank or does it say what channel it's supposed be but without any picture behind it?

It says which channels it's supposed to be for 30 seconds or so, then it comes up with "no signal".

So when moving out is there like a mathematical equation you can do to work out if you'll survive or not?

Me and the missus will have about £3K between us each month. Looking at renting places at £650/750 a month, she's got a PCP that's about £350 a month (which she kinda regrets now) so she's worried about what she'll have left after all the bills have come out too. I'm happy to pay a bit more if needed to keep us going but we don't want to be living on scraps at the end of each month. 

We've both never done this before so it's all a bit of a steep learning curve and we're not sure if we're forgetting bills and fees and all that stuff. 

How much do people generally have after bills come out?

Edited by Ozwin

On 08/06/2018 at 15:57, Webbo said:

https://www.freesat.co.uk/help/setting-freesat-lg-tvs/

As of September 2015, Freesat channels became available on a number of new and existing LG TVs.

Freesat is available on LG TV models UH620V, UH625V, UH630V, UH650V,UH661V, UH668V, UH770V and UH850V, in screen sizes ranging from 32” to 65”. If you own an LG TV, and have not opted-in to auto-updates, you will have to ensure your software is up to date to get Freesat.

You can do this manually by following these steps:  
Ensure your TV is connected to the internet  
Select ALL SETTINGS from the right screen menu Go to GENERAL
Scroll down to ABOUT THIS TV Ensure tick box is selected under ALLOW AUTO UPDATES
Select CHECK FOR UPDATES to run a software checks
Any new software will become available Y
ou can also download the latest software from the LG website.
Type in your product model name and download the latest software on a USB. Software update instructions are also available.
Finally, you will have to connect to satellite and enable the Freesat channels.

Follow these steps:
Select ALL SETTINGS from the right screen menu
Go to PROGRAMMES Select PROGRAMME TUNING AND SETTINGS
Select AUTO TUNING Tick the SATELLITE box, click Next Select FREESAT  
For newly purchased LG TVs you will be prompted to connect both terrestrial and satellite tuners during the set up process. Ensure you select both and connect your TV to the Internet.
The TV will run a scan and give you the option to select Freesat. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ozwin said:

So when moving out is there like a mathematical equation you can do to work out if you'll survive or not?

Me and the missus will have about £3K between us each month. Looking at renting places at £650/750 a month, she's got a PCP that's about £350 a month (which she kinda regrets now) so she's worried about what she'll have left after all the bills have come out too. I'm happy to pay a bit more if needed to keep us going but we don't want to be living on scraps at the end of each month. 

We've both never done this before so it's all a bit of a steep learning curve and we're not sure if we're forgetting bills and fees and all that stuff. 

How much do people generally have after bills come out?

Time for you both to sit down and go through, thoroughly, what you earn and spend and if you'll be able to live with some comfort as well as saving, not trying to find pennies at the end of the month to meet rent.

£3k is income (I guess no children as you've not mentioned them so no Child Benefit, Child Tax Credit, Working Tax Credit etc).

Take away £750/m for rent leaves you with £2250.

Now you factor in the following:

Internet contracts
Water/Gas/Electricity bills if not included in rent
Phone contracts
Petrol (if either drive)

Car Tax & Insurance (if either drive)

Public transport (if you or her don't drive)

TV Contracts

TV License
Food & Toiletries shopping

Contents Insurance

Clothing
Council Tax (if not included in rent)

I may have missed some things off but it's worth doing a lot of research in to the above on what deals you can get within your budgets.

With £2250 you should have a fair bit of leeway to get decent prices on bills. 

What I will say, having worked in the Housing sector for a while, is that rent & council tax (if you're responsible) are your 'essential' priority bills. Anything else comes secondary to that, despite how important it may be. They face the biggest consequences should you fall behind on them - miss your rent and you may eventually get evicted; miss your council tax and you get fined or prison sentence.

5 minutes ago, Strokes said:

https://www.freesat.co.uk/help/setting-freesat-lg-tvs/

As of September 2015, Freesat channels became available on a number of new and existing LG TVs.

Freesat is available on LG TV models UH620V, UH625V, UH630V, UH650V,UH661V, UH668V, UH770V and UH850V, in screen sizes ranging from 32” to 65”. If you own an LG TV, and have not opted-in to auto-updates, you will have to ensure your software is up to date to get Freesat.

You can do this manually by following these steps:  
Ensure your TV is connected to the internet  
Select ALL SETTINGS from the right screen menu Go to GENERAL
Scroll down to ABOUT THIS TV Ensure tick box is selected under ALLOW AUTO UPDATES
Select CHECK FOR UPDATES to run a software checks
Any new software will become available Y
ou can also download the latest software from the LG website.
Type in your product model name and download the latest software on a USB. Software update instructions are also available.
Finally, you will have to connect to satellite and enable the Freesat channels.

Follow these steps:
Select ALL SETTINGS from the right screen menu
Go to PROGRAMMES Select PROGRAMME TUNING AND SETTINGS
Select AUTO TUNING Tick the SATELLITE box, click Next Select FREESAT  
For newly purchased LG TVs you will be prompted to connect both terrestrial and satellite tuners during the set up process. Ensure you select both and connect your TV to the Internet.
The TV will run a scan and give you the option to select Freesat. 

I got in touch with the manufacturer, apparently you do need a freeview box.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Time for you both to sit down and go through, thoroughly, what you earn and spend and if you'll be able to live with some comfort as well as saving, not trying to find pennies at the end of the month to meet rent.

£3k is income (I guess no children as you've not mentioned them so no Child Benefit, Child Tax Credit, Working Tax Credit etc).

Take away £750/m for rent leaves you with £2250.

Now you factor in the following:

Internet contracts
Water/Gas/Electricity bills if not included in rent
Phone contracts
Petrol (if either drive)

Car Tax & Insurance (if either drive)

Public transport (if you or her don't drive)

TV Contracts

TV License
Food & Toiletries shopping

Contents Insurance

Clothing
Council Tax (if not included in rent)

I may have missed some things off but it's worth doing a lot of research in to the above on what deals you can get within your budgets.

With £2250 you should have a fair bit of leeway to get decent prices on bills. 

What I will say, having worked in the Housing sector for a while, is that rent & council tax (if you're responsible) are your 'essential' priority bills. Anything else comes secondary to that, despite how important it may be. They face the biggest consequences should you fall behind on them - miss your rent and you may eventually get evicted; miss your council tax and you get fined or prison sentence.

This is really helpful, thankyou! I think, like you say, we just need to break it all down accurately. 

10 hours ago, Ozwin said:

This is really helpful, thankyou! I think, like you say, we just need to break it all down accurately. 

I did a home budget recently and thought I'd covered most of what's on Stan's list, but forgot the following..

Car maintenance (tyres, MOT, service etc.)

Money spent on coffee/lunch's

Going out (meals, pub, cinema etc.)

Prescriptions

Denist

Hair cuts

Gifts (Fathers/Mothers Day, birthdays, valentines, Xmas etc)

Holidays

Charity

Subscriptions

Furniture

Appliances 

And after all that, I still added another 5% on to the total for contingency (things I forgot)

It's worth keeping a log/diary of what you spend each month and also check your bank statements.

I had a about a fiver a month left after I'd accounted for absolutely everything ;)

23 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I did a home budget recently and thought I'd covered most of what's on Stan's list, but forgot the following..

Prescriptions

Denist

Hair cuts

Holidays

Charity

Subscriptions

Furniture

Appliances 

And after all that, I still added another 5% on to the total for contingency (things I forgot)

It's worth keeping a log/diary of what you spend each month and also check your bank statements.

I had a about a fiver a month left after I'd accounted for absolutely everything ;)

A fleshlight is not an appliance so hopefully thats covered in your 5%.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Prescriptions

Denist

Hair cuts

Holidays

Charity

Subscriptions

Furniture

Appliances 

Ooh get a load of Lord Richy :)

• Haha 1

On 13/06/2018 at 23:01, Webbo said:

I got in touch with the manufacturer, apparently you do need a freeview box.

That's a bit crap. What's the point in your TV being able to detect a satellite input and the available channels but not be able to actually show them?

Perhaps it's like my Astra, which has cruise control but no way of turning it on, unless you buy a different stalk for about £40, and enabled Vauxhall to charge £1500 extra or whatever for the next model up

20 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

That's a bit crap. What's the point in your TV being able to detect a satellite input and the available channels but not be able to actually show them?

Perhaps it's like my Astra, which has cruise control but no way of turning it on, unless you buy a different stalk for about £40, and enabled Vauxhall to charge £1500 extra or whatever for the next model up

I must admit I don't understand it either.

I experienced some sensitiveness during eating recently so I tried some sensitivity toothpaste which eventually helped after a week of application.   However my question is this- do I go back to the normal toothpaste or do I need to use sensitive toothpaste for rest of my life?   My motivation for the former is simple,  it is cheaper and tasted bit more nicer but I can easily stick with latter without any issues. 

Just now, The Blur said:

I experienced some sensitiveness during eating recently so I tried some sensitivity toothpaste which eventually helped after a week of application.   However my question is this- do I go back to the normal toothpaste or do I need to use sensitive toothpaste for rest of my life?   My motivation for the former is simple,  it is cheaper and tasted bit more nicer but I can easily stick with latter without any issues. 

Stick to the sensitive stuff.

12 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Stick to the sensitive stuff.

Speaking from personal experience?   I guess I am getting older so my teeth is becoming more weaker,  I also used to stupidly swish coca cola around my mouth when I was younger as I liked the sensation of it.  

23 minutes ago, The Blur said:

Speaking from personal experience?   I guess I am getting older so my teeth is becoming more weaker,  I also used to stupidly coke around my mouth when I was younger as I liked the sensation of it.  

I could never afford it, sounds fun though

41 minutes ago, The Blur said:

Speaking from personal experience?   I guess I am getting older so my teeth is becoming more weaker,  I also used to stupidly swish coca cola around my mouth when I was younger as I liked the sensation of it.  

Yeah, I had it for years. Went away when I had a couple of teeth capped.