Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

1 minute ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Thinking of buying a Nectar card as seen it advertised recently.

How does it work in supermarkets etc and is it worth having one overall?

As in a Sainsbury's nectar card? If so they are free aren’t they? 

We do our shopping at Sainsbury's so every pound you spend you get 1 nectar point. Takes a while to build up a decent amount, but I just let it build up over the year then use it on my Christmas shopping bill. 

14 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

We do our shopping at Sainsbury's so every pound you spend you get 1 nectar point. Takes a while to build up a decent amount, but I just let it build up over the year then use it on my Christmas shopping bill. 

Moreorless, yes - as often shop there and the checkout operator has often ask me if I have one when paying for groceries. I often think about getting one but not too sure of the actual benefits. Been told to get one as you can have money off next time you shop etc but feels too good to be true?

I've signed up with Shell petrol loyalty card scheme and after some time with them don't think I'm getting the most out any 'rewards' that apparently come with signing up to the card scheme after some time using their services.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

4 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Fill up my car at Sainsbury's end up with about £10 on my card at Christmas which I use towards a bottle of booze. 

That’s what I do with Sainsbury’s.

my work fuel card is a Tesco credit card extra points and always shove the shopping on the credit card for extra too.

Get about £40 a quarter and if you do the 3 x boost things get hotel stays,airport parking for nowt.

2 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Moreorless, yes - as often shop there and the checkout operator has often ask me if I have one when paying for groceries. I often think about getting one but not too sure of the actual benefits. Been told to get one as you can have money off next time you shop etc but feels too good to be true?

I've signed up with Shell petrol loyalty card scheme and after some time with them don't think I'm getting the most out any 'rewards' that apparently come with signing up to the card scheme after some time using their services.

It's worth getting one, like others have said you just collect points every time you shop, and over time they add up. I usually have quite a bit at Christmas, so just ask the cashier how much is on the card, and they take it off the bill. You have nothing to lose. You also sometimes get coupons for money off products, or extra points. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

petrol-station point cards are a waste of time tbh

if you always shop in sainsbury's then you might as well get a point card. you'll pick up points when you spend money and they send you vouchers and you might get a few quid off a bottle at xmas.

it's really not good enough to be too good to be true though lol

39 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Fill up my car at Sainsbury's end up with about £10 on my card at Christmas which I use towards a bottle of booze. 

£10? After a year? lol

How much petrol do you put in each time, one litre?

The highlighted portion has made me laugh so many times I just have to say thanks.

Edited by Max Wall

46 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

35 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

29 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

It's worth getting one, like others have said you just collect points every time you shop, and over time they add up. I usually have quite a bit at Christmas, so just ask the cashier how much is on the card, and they take it off the bill. You have nothing to lose. You also sometimes get coupons for money off products, or extra points. 

That's what I do. I shop for two of us every week at Sainsbury and by Christmas I usually have enough for the entire Christmas day food for us and my parents with a little left over for a couple of bottles of spirits. You have to spend regularly for it to mount up but there are lots of other outlets that give nectar points as people have said. Pretty sure even Ebay give you a nectar point for every pound spent on something too so long as you register your card. Bit of a pain at times but money for nothing at the end of the day.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

£10? After a year? lol

How much petrol do you put in each time, one litre?

The highlighted portion has made me laugh so many times I just have to say thanks.

I fill up each time so like £50 and that’s twice a month so why the **** I have so little points I don’t know. Maybe you get less for fuel. 

7 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

I fill up each time so like £50 and that’s twice a month so why the **** I have so little points I don’t know. Maybe you get less for fuel. 

It must be less points for fuel then. I don't have a Sainsbury petrol station near me, just a shop, so I don't use the nectar card for fuel but £10 after a year does seem pretty paltry.

I reckon I probably spent £100 a week in there and ended up with maybe £120 by Christmas I think. Those figures could actually be wildly inaccurate as I like a doob but that's not far off from memory.

Edited by Max Wall

22 minutes ago, StanSP said:

what do people see as the best cheese for when having cheese on toast?

Red Leicester, sprinkle of Lea & Perrins and some sage, job's a good'un.  Bit of mayo under the cheese for added ooh la la.

18 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Stilton for me :thumbup:

Stilton on toast? 

:kingy:

4 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Red Leicester, sprinkle of Lea & Perrins and some sage, job's a good'un.  Bit of mayo under the cheese for added ooh la la.

The f**k is this? Mayo? Sage? Gentrification gone bleedin' mad.

26 minutes ago, boots60 said:

Farmhouse red Leicester wins hands down.

Cheddar/Lancashire/Caerphilly for a change.

22 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Mature cheddar. 

Cheddar for me too. 

7 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Glad you mentioned Lea & Perrins. Few drops of that on some cheddar is perfect. 

You lost with the mayo and sage though. 

4 minutes ago, toddybad said:

The f**k is this? Mayo? Sage? Gentrification gone bleedin' mad.

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Glad you mentioned Lea & Perrins. Few drops of that on some cheddar is perfect. 

You lost with the mayo and sage though. 

Try it just once and tell me I'm wrong.