Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

Anyone able to give me an idea on this.

Driving to work this morning and get a warning sign flash up on my dashboard advising the engine is overheating and to pull over. Had nowhere to pull over so carried on going for about 15 seconds and it went off.

Temperature gauge went from 80° to 130° and back to 80° in the space of 20 seconds.

Got to work and checked the coolant levels which were all good and assumed it must be a sensor error.

Drove home tonight and the same thing happened again for a similar length of time.

Supposed to be driving long distance on Monday in the shitty thing.

9 minutes ago, Rain King said:

Driving to work this morning and get a warning sign flash up on my dashboard advising the engine is overheating and to pull over. Had nowhere to pull over so carried on going for about 15 seconds and it went off.

Temperature gauge went from 80° to 130° and back to 80° in the space of 20 seconds.

Got to work and checked the coolant levels which were all good and assumed it must be a sensor error.

Drove home tonight and the same thing happened again for a similar length of time.

Get it to a garage and ask them to run a diagnostic test. It only takes a few minutes and will show up any error codes which should enable them to find the cause even if it's a sensor defect.

To me it sounds like the temp sensor went a bit bonkers and, as the dashboard warning is triggered by the gauge level rather than the actual temperature, that seems the most likely.

Similarly (if this helps) the low fuel warning chime that comes up on my car isn't triggered by the actual amount of fuel remaining but where the needle on the visual gauge sits.

Very unreliable.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Get it to a garage and ask them to run a diagnostic test. It only takes a few minutes and will show up any error codes which should enable them to find the cause even if it's a sensor defect.

Forgot to mention, I've got my own diagnostic computer thing and it brought up absolutely no error codes, just to compound my confusion 🤣

7 minutes ago, Parafox said:

To me it sounds like the temp sensor went a bit bonkers and, as the dashboard warning is triggered by the gauge level rather than the actual temperature, that seems the most likely.

Similarly (if this helps) the low fuel warning chime that comes up on my car isn't triggered by the actual amount of fuel remaining but where the needle on the visual gauge sits.

Very unreliable.

I added this as an edit to my post.

3 hours ago, Rain King said:

Forgot to mention, I've got my own diagnostic computer thing and it brought up absolutely no error codes, just to compound my confusion 🤣

That’s because it will only read the codes, when they are errored out - ie when the warning light is on.

Best case scenario is it’s your sensor.  Worst case is your water pump is going out.

I would look online for the location of the sensor, and replace it ASAP.  That way you will know one way or the other before your trip.

19 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Do people on here think people are their avatars, are there hordes of Miquel Maniacs out there thinking I look like Alan Brazil

Sometimes I will associate the picture with the user name. The worst one I find for me is thinking of @Izzy as basically looking like Tom Cruise.

Or maybe that’s the best one.

Perspective.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dunge said:

Sometimes I will associate the picture with the user name. The worst one I find for me is thinking of @Izzy as basically looking like Tom Cruise.

Or maybe that’s the best one.

Perspective.

This is nearer the mark .. 

IMG_9771.jpeg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Anyone know the best way to buy park tickets for Florida without having to sell a Kidney. ?

Yeah good luck with that.

We always bought them in advance from these lot:

https://www.orlandoattractiontickets.co.uk/

Mad prices if you want access to all the parks (and if you do Discovery Cove and fast/express passes too you'll need to see another kidney)

It maybe cheaper to buy park tickets out there but we never looked into it tbh

36 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Anyone know the best way to buy park tickets for Florida without having to sell a Kidney. ?

I get a 20% discount through my work that I think applies to these, I'm allowed to share it so remind me tomorrow and I'll check and let you know

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Yeah good luck with that.

We always bought them in advance from these lot:

https://www.orlandoattractiontickets.co.uk/

Mad prices if you want access to all the parks (and if you do Discovery Cove and fast/express passes too you'll need to see another kidney)

It maybe cheaper to buy park tickets out there but we never looked into it tbh

Yeh we don’t even want a week pass which is better value…I think totting it up it will be the best part of £1,500 for 2 adults and a 4 year old. Food and drink on top so you may aswell add another few hundred FFS. 

Hoping @FoxesDebdiscount code comes through!

9 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Yeh we don’t even want a week pass which is better value…I think totting it up it will be the best part of £1,500 for 2 adults and a 4 year old. Food and drink on top so you may aswell add another few hundred FFS. 

Hoping @FoxesDebdiscount code comes through!

And if you’re driving, don’t forget to add on the cost of parking. Most theme parks are about $35 a day now I think :rolleyes:

On 24/05/2023 at 18:59, Rain King said:

Sounds like your sensors are stuffed. Probably not an expensive part, but often a pain to access and change.

I had a similar(ish) issue once and it was actually a dodgy fuse of some sort, which was an easy (and very cheap) fix.

Edit: Should point out this was on a 90's Jag and the electrics/fuses/sensors seemingly weren't designed to last 30 years and in many cases were massively over-engineered and needlessly complicated. Hopefully its not anything to do with the pump(s) as I've had this go wrong twice on a Seat Alhambra and it took the garage ages to diagnose and costly to fix.

Edited by The People's Hero
Because I needed to edit the post? Aren't these reasons for edit a bit pointless?
  • Like 1

On 31/05/2023 at 16:24, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Do people on here think people are their avatars, are there hordes of Miquel Maniacs out there thinking I look like Alan Brazil

I don't think it's any secret that me @Izzy and @Milo have met up to play golf.

I was upset that Tom Cruise wasn't at the Pro Shop when I arrived.

Then I was absolutely distraught that Milo looks nothing like his avatar :o

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I don't think it's any secret that me @Izzy and @Milo have met up to play golf.

I was upset that Tom Cruise wasn't at the Pro Shop when I arrived.

Then I was absolutely distraught that Milo looks nothing like his avatar :o

Whereas you look just like a white capital T on a purple background :D

• Haha 1