Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

Wait until November 5th and use it to start your bonfire.

Make sure to stand well back.

image.jpeg.6572ba6696d8c68d3754d4f9e2a3f68f.jpeg

Exactly this, or use it to get the BBQ going over the next couple of months.

Who doesn't like setting fire to shit? Especially in dramatic fashion.

• Like 1

What purchases under 1K did you buy for the house/yourself/tech items that make your life better or easier? 

Want to treat myself but not sure. Just got a coffee machine to start. 

Live alone if that matters. 

What would you say is a fair price for a kitten from a private seller? And please no comments from people who hate cats and just want to say they are worth nothing, I'm genuinely curious. These are not pedigree bred kittens, they are the result of the mother getting out and being knocked up by some random local cat. We've just had a long discussion at work about it.

In my opinion, if I'm are buying a pedigree bred animal then i expect to pay a premium because theres been a transaction between the owners of the mother and father, and also you can then breed them youself and make money. If I'm getting the cat from a rescue centre and they have footed the bill for the vets bills etc then I expect to cover that. But if your cat has got knocked up by some random local cat than £150 per cat is pushing it a bit imo. I got my cat from a rescue centre 10 years ago and he cost me £100 for the vet fees, but nothing else. Over the years we've had cats from people who's cat has been knocked up and either got them free or paid like a tenner. If members of the publics cats has kittens I'm not obliged to buy them, I don't need to buy from them, so why would I pay £150 to them plus the vet fees myself when I can pay £150 to the RSPCA and have no vet fees to pay after because its all dealt with. If I'm not bothered by the breed, why would I pay more to someone when I can pay less to somewhere like the RSPCA. Some at work think £150 for a cat born from a random local cat is a fair price. I think it's people trying to make a quick buck out of people, because a litter of 5 is going to get them £750 when they essentially done nothing to earn it, they haven't paid a breeder, they can't guarantee what breed the kittens are. I would be happy to pay a little towards the care for them before I take them but nothing else.

26 minutes ago, DanNDH88 said:

What purchases under 1K did you buy for the house/yourself/tech items that make your life better or easier? 

Sounds like a stupid one and I'm sure there's some better options out there that will sound better and do a better job but we bought a few of the Amazon Echo Show's for the kitchen, living room, bedrooms so we could have the same music on in all rooms, plus you can call/facetime each room as well. Good for music when you have a party or people round etc. and also good for making announcements to the kids when you're not sure what room they're in in the house (lazy I know) lol

35 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

What would you say is a fair price for a kitten from a private seller? And please no comments from people who hate cats and just want to say they are worth nothing, I'm genuinely curious. These are not pedigree bred kittens, they are the result of the mother getting out and being knocked up by some random local cat. We've just had a long discussion at work about it.

In my opinion, if I'm are buying a pedigree bred animal then i expect to pay a premium because theres been a transaction between the owners of the mother and father, and also you can then breed them youself and make money. If I'm getting the cat from a rescue centre and they have footed the bill for the vets bills etc then I expect to cover that. But if your cat has got knocked up by some random local cat than £150 per cat is pushing it a bit imo. I got my cat from a rescue centre 10 years ago and he cost me £100 for the vet fees, but nothing else. Over the years we've had cats from people who's cat has been knocked up and either got them free or paid like a tenner. If members of the publics cats has kittens I'm not obliged to buy them, I don't need to buy from them, so why would I pay £150 to them plus the vet fees myself when I can pay £150 to the RSPCA and have no vet fees to pay after because its all dealt with. If I'm not bothered by the breed, why would I pay more to someone when I can pay less to somewhere like the RSPCA. Some at work think £150 for a cat born from a random local cat is a fair price. I think it's people trying to make a quick buck out of people, because a litter of 5 is going to get them £750 when they essentially done nothing to earn it, they haven't paid a breeder, they can't guarantee what breed the kittens are. I would be happy to pay a little towards the care for them before I take them but nothing else.

We rescued our cat in the UK when he was about 12 months old, he'd been kept indoors all his life so hadn't had any injections or been castrated so we just paid a tenner, and then obviously paid the vets bills when we took him.

For what is essentially the result of a quick accident I would only pay to cover the cost of any outlay they've incurred, if they're still tiny they should really be free.

£150 is a joke imo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DanNDH88 said:

Have you got a garden? A good Karcher jet wash is useful, I bought a hose with an autoreel which attaches to the house, winds itself back up. It was £180 but I absolutely hate ****ing about with hoses. Get yourself an Ipad, always useful. Not sure what you are into so I don't really know what to recommend

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DanNDH88 said:

Depends on your interests, I suppose. 

At a route one/tap-in level you could buy yourself a loaded Firestick with all the footy/golf/F1/cricket and gentlemen's channels that you can shake your stick at, and still have change to watch them in glorious 65 inches of UHD.

If you’re into beer, you could get a Grainfather and a fermenter for under a grand and start a lifetime of brewing heaven. 

A grand may also get you a decent Kamado to scratch an itch for smoking/curing and other marvellous foody inspired fabulousness. 

3 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

We rescued our cat in the UK when he was about 12 months old, he'd been kept indoors all his life so hadn't had any injections or been castrated so we just paid a tenner, and then obviously paid the vets bills when we took him.

For what is essentially the result of a quick accident I would only pay to cover the cost of any outlay they've incurred, if they're still tiny they should really be free.

£150 is a joke imo.

Annoyingly I thought of a great analogy after the discussion had ended because people couldn't believe I wouldn't accept £150 was standard price for mix breed home bred kittens whilst I sat there looking at adverts online selling them for £35.

It's like if there are 3 identical cars for sale, same age and mileage. One is at a garage up for £10k. It's been serviced, MOT, all dents and scratches repaired. Another is for sales with a private seller, also for £10k, but has had none of that work done. The third is also a private seller and had none of the work done, but is also cheaper at let's say £6k. Anyone buying car 2 is insane.

4 hours ago, Facecloth said:

£150 for a random, domestic non-pedigree cat is very expensive imo. Our former local rescue centre charges the following;

Our cat adoption fee is £60 and this covers the following:

Neuter

Micro-chip 

Up to date vaccinations 

Up to date worm and flea treatments

Anything the seller is charging over and above that is pure profiteering from their cat accidentally getting pregnant. Assuming the seller is paying for any of the things listed. 

Edited by FoyleFox
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Danno said:

Air fryer.

Was worried it would be a bit rubbish, have hardly used the oven since.

18 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

£150 for a random, domestic non-pedigree cat is very expensive imo. Our former local rescue centre charges the following;

Our cat adoption fee is £60 and this covers the following:

Neuter

Micro-chip 

Up to date vaccinations 

Up to date worm and flea treatments

Anything the seller is charging over and above that is pure profiteering from their cat accidentally getting pregnant.

If they aren't getting any of the above done then they've got a cheek to be charging £60 tbh. Free up to £20/£30 is acceptable.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/06/2023 at 20:44, tom27111 said:

My Mrs is under strict instructions to have me cremated, whilst Fire by Kasabian blasts out of the speakers at the crematorium. 

Thats oddly exactly what my last instruction is too lol

Bit of a weird one, NatWest use a system called PayIt for you to pay off a credit card where you select the bank you want the money to come from (in my case Starling) and select the amount you want to pay then it transfers you to the Starling app to approve the payment for the money. To do this it creates a spoof payee within my Starling account with my name as the payee and that it is a NatWest account. Well this morning I forgot that was the process so just sent £150 to the spoof payee, meaning £150 has just gone into the ether. I’ve contacted NatWest who don’t seem to have any clue what I’m on about and have just told me to get in contact with Starling to try and recover/reverse the payment. Is there anything else I could be doing? How likely am I to get my money back? 

6 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

Bit of a weird one, NatWest use a system called PayIt for you to pay off a credit card where you select the bank you want the money to come from (in my case Starling) and select the amount you want to pay then it transfers you to the Starling app to approve the payment for the money. To do this it creates a spoof payee within my Starling account with my name as the payee and that it is a NatWest account. Well this morning I forgot that was the process so just sent £150 to the spoof payee, meaning £150 has just gone into the ether. I’ve contacted NatWest who don’t seem to have any clue what I’m on about and have just told me to get in contact with Starling to try and recover/reverse the payment. Is there anything else I could be doing? How likely am I to get my money back? 

I would've thought the chances of recovering your money are high. If the receiving details aren't actually real the payment should bounce back to the sending account. It used to in the old days anyway. 

As Starling are the sender of the payment, they should be the people to resolve it for you. 

• 2 weeks later...

Cigars. I've always liked the thought of trying to smoke a big cigar so on an impulse I bought some at the duty free on the way back from holiday the other day. (Honestly they were so cheap)

There's loads on the internet but any FTers with any tips on smoking cigars would be very welcome. The how tos, the no no's and the likelihood I'll just cough my guts up. So much info about cutting the end, how to light it etc.

I got a pack of small ones, some with a wood tip end as well as some of the larger ones, so lots to try... Maybe!

On 30/07/2023 at 19:47, Footballwipe said:

Cigars. I've always liked the thought of trying to smoke a big cigar so on an impulse I bought some at the duty free on the way back from holiday the other day. (Honestly they were so cheap)

There's loads on the internet but any FTers with any tips on smoking cigars would be very welcome. The how tos, the no no's and the likelihood I'll just cough my guts up. So much info about cutting the end, how to light it etc.

I got a pack of small ones, some with a wood tip end as well as some of the larger ones, so lots to try... Maybe!

I think the big thing is that you don't actually inhale the smoke from a big cigar? Maybe just a little bit, not like you would with a cigarette. 

I like the idea of cigars, but never really done it. Maybe once in a blue moon, but not for about 20 years!

I did actually carry one of those fancy ones in a metal tube in my golf bag, in the event of hitting a hole in one. I was just going to spark up a fat Cuban, leave my bag and clubs exactlywhere they were and walk off...never happened lol

I've actually stopped smoking all together last week after 27 years. I've made a few attempts before, but a £5.99 vape from B&M seems to be doing the trick.

Not even been tempted. And I don't like the vape, just use it minimally for a nicotine hit.

Wish I'd done it years ago.

• Like 1

I thought about creating a topic about this, after reading about the Briton in Cyprus being released after killing his ill-stricken wife, but decided not to.

Should assisted dying be made legal in the UK and other countries?

2 hours ago, Wymsey said:

I thought about creating a topic about this, after reading about the Briton in Cyprus being released after killing his ill-stricken wife, but decided not to.

100% yes. Having watched family members and other loved ones suffer days, weeks or even months of pain and suffering when there is only going to be one outcome who benefits from the stress it brings upon everyone? You wouldnt let a pet suffer this way.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Wymsey said:

It’s tricky.

I wouldn’t want a loved one to suffer, especially if they had previously made it clear the wanted to die.

However, I also could see instances of people using this as an excuse to kill someone.

Maybe if there was a legal pre-arrangement, and certain criteria was met first.

• Like 2

Tumble dryer has packed up and the washing machine is slowly getting worse.

So, should I buy 2 separate appliances, or buy a washer dryer?

I'm siding towards buying separate one's, but never had a washer dryer before. 

Is it better to buy an expensive all in one, or get a mid range of each?

Edited by tom27111