Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

39 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Were the 70's as shit to live in as the fashion and the majority of the music suggests?

I believe a lot of both the fashion and the music are quite trendy again among some modern youngsters.

I think it was probably the crap cars that didn't work, the compulsory fag smoke everywhere, the electricity going off all the time, and everything just being brown that made the 70s shit, more so than the fashion and music!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Tumble dryer has packed up and the washing machine is slowly getting worse.

So, should I buy 2 separate appliances, or buy a washer dryer?

I'm siding towards buying separate one's, but never had a washer dryer before. 

Is it better to buy an expensive all in one, or get a mid range of each?

Buy separately,

Reason 1 - can wash and dry at same time.

Reason 2 - if  dryer packs up you still have the option of using the washer and hanging out to dry on the washing line until you replace. 

I have never had a washer/dryer combo but I feel the only gain you get from it is it uses up less space than two separate appliances. That's my two pence worth anyway! 👍 

Edited by SeCrEt FoX
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, SeCrEt FoX said:

Buy separately,

Reason 2 - if  dryer packs up you still have the option of using the washer and hanging out to dry on the washing line until you replace. 

I have never had a washer/dryer combo but I feel the only gain you get from it is it uses up less space than two separate appliances. That's my two pence worth anyway! 👍 

We had one and the dryer part packed in within the year. Had seperate since. 

I bought a cheap washer dryer when the washing machine packed up. Don't have space for 2 seperate and rarely use a dryer anyway, just got it for convenience if I ever do need it. Got it on prime next day delivery too which was cool. Been very good so far, no complaints.

2 hours ago, SeCrEt FoX said:

Buy separately,

This.

That said, we binned our dryer a couple of years ago and now dry outside in good weather or inside on an airer if we can't. 

Looking back, a tumble dryer is pretty much unnecessary if you have access to a garden space. And they can be expensive to use.

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

This.

That said, we binned our dryer a couple of years ago and now dry outside in good weather or inside on an airer if we can't. 

Looking back, a tumble dryer is pretty much unnecessary if you have access to a garden space. And they can be expensive to use.

Ever get bird crap on youe drying  clothes?

We used to dry on the line back in the day. Nowadays we use a dryer all the time.

8 hours ago, tom27111 said:

I only had one combined washer dryer and it was rubbish. The dryer would only take half the capacity of the washing machine, so you had to take half your washing out, and it still took forever to dry. But this was a long time ago so they may have come on since then.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tom27111 said:

If you use them both a lot, I'd buy separately. Just the two of us so we've had a combination one for years. Great for space saving and doing a wash & dry on E7 overnight. 

The most important element is the efficiency rating. I don't see any advantage in a highly expensive one. Had a fairly expensive Samsung but it was no better than the Beko one I installed in a rental property, which was used by a family and still fine after 7 years. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, tom27111 said:

One for the slightly older folk...

Were the 70's as shit to live in as the fashion and the majority of the music suggests?

I was born exactly 5 weeks before the 70's ended. But they do seem a bit shit.

Early 70s - my Chopper was cooler than any bike you owned. The ZX91 remains the most awesome computer ever made. Football was all terraces, paying at the turnstyle and full bloodied tackles. Downsides: chicken kiev, blancmange, Soda Stream and the winter of discontent.

Late 70s - punk bands remain better than anything that has been made since. Plus the new wave of Ska and the huge dub scene. Gigs were at most a couple of quid and pints cost 25-50p. Rent was super affordable, we had a social housing stock, the NHS was free, everyone had a dentist, and people could afford to live without having three jobs. Downsides: Hooliganism and Thatcher.

TLDR: not as completely shit as the mid 80s. That was really shit.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

Early 70s - my Chopper was cooler than any bike you owned. The ZX91 remains the most awesome computer ever made. Football was all terraces, paying at the turnstyle and full bloodied tackles. Downsides: chicken kiev, blancmange, Soda Stream and the winter of discontent.

Late 70s - punk bands remain better than anything that has been made since. Plus the new wave of Ska and the huge dub scene. Gigs were at most a couple of quid and pints cost 25-50p. Rent was super affordable, we had a social housing stock, the NHS was free, everyone had a dentist, and people could afford to live without having three jobs. Downsides: Hooliganism and Thatcher.

TLDR: not as completely shit as the mid 80s. That was really shit.

I’ve still got my zx81, and a dragon 32.  I really need to buy a cassette player and fire them up.

• Like 1

On 06/08/2023 at 17:17, Zear0 said:

We had one and the dryer part packed in within the year. Had seperate since. 

Ours did exactly this too. Washer still worked fine so we just kept it for washing. Had it years now, washer still just about working.

23 hours ago, Parafox said:

Yep, this is what we've done ever since.

22 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

Ever get bird crap on your drying  clothes?

Never.

As long as it isn't under a tree.

Edited by Sparrowhawk
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Milo said:

Many.

Fire away! 

It’s a really simple one just didn’t know how strict they are. It’s one of them ones you pay online using ‘paybyphone’. On entering the reg it looks like a “O” was entered instead of a “0” 🤷‍♂️ 

6 minutes ago, goody2028 said:

It’s a really simple one just didn’t know how strict they are. It’s one of them ones you pay online using ‘paybyphone’. On entering the reg it looks like a “O” was entered instead of a “0” 🤷‍♂️ 

Is it a local authority PCN? Or a private parking fine?

If it’s a private one you’ll be fine. 

If you mis-entered your reg number on a pay by phone system for a local authority PCN then you should also be fine. 

I assume you have a receipt. 

Appeal the PCN, offer the receipt as evidence. Be bolshy, robust and on the front foot with the appeal letter. 

3 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Typical Range Rover driver :whistle:

🙄

Best one was a PCN for entering a no entry street on my motorbike. 

But the photo evidence they used was of me leaving the street, not entering. 

I appealed on the grounds that I could have easily walked my bike in parts into the no go street, built it and drove it out legally.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Milo said:

Is it a local authority PCN? Or a private parking fine?

If it’s a private one you’ll be fine. 

If you mis-entered your reg number on a pay by phone system for a local authority PCN then you should also be fine. 

I assume you have a receipt. 

Appeal the PCN, offer the receipt as evidence. Be bolshy, robust and on the front foot with the appeal letter. 

Nice one. I’ve just appealed, attaching all receipts and transaction screenshots as proof so hoping for a reasonable outcome lol 

10 hours ago, Sparrowhawk said:

Have you got the 8K RAM pack? What could ever possibly need that much memory, eh?

YES!  16K one I think.  Which is fine as long as you never accidentally nudge it.  Also have the printer, which printed barely legibly on silver paper about 6 cm wide if I recall.

image.jpeg.299c5a82e469823e8314cb73fc8fbca5.jpeg

I want to play MAZOGS now!

image.jpeg.1e901ac79a6c2ae06dba5f43d8dcb657.jpegimage.png.27919c1758be1fbd7c7bb3ad20f102a8.png

Edited by Jon the Hat
  • Like 1

Does anyone know how to free yourself of an undesired ‘friend’ borderline stalker that’s also a bit tapped (coked up most of the time and turns them into a weirdo, constantly getting into scraps for the fun of it) ?

it’s hard because I work with them day in day out, and I get the vibe they are the sort of person to come and brick your window or worse if you tell them bluntly to leave you alone. 
I just say no whenever there’s an offer of going out for a drink etc but it’s like this person doesn’t get the message. Always asking and getting frustrated that I don’t want to (has basically no friends, wonder why…) Genuine question as it’s becoming a big stress. 

Edited by LCFCCHRIS

Anyone got any experience of a DPD delivery going missing?

I ordered a golf club, got notification that it was delivered to 'a shed/outbuilding'.

The picture attached shows that the idiot left it behind one of our bins by the side of the house, in full view of the street.

It wasn't even hidden as the club was taller than the bin.

Needless to say, when I got home this afternoon, it wasn't there.

Spoken to DPD and the retailer who are opening an investigation. 

I could just do without all the hassle.

It's worth the best part of £200 and can't be bothered with people thinking I'm trying to pull a fast one.

2 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Anyone got any experience of a DPD delivery going missing?

I ordered a golf club, got notification that it was delivered to 'a shed/outbuilding'.

The picture attached shows that the idiot left it behind one of our bins by the side of the house, in full view of the street.

It wasn't even hidden as the club was taller than the bin.

Needless to say, when I got home this afternoon, it wasn't there.

Spoken to DPD and the retailer who are opening an investigation. 

I could just do without all the hassle.

It's worth the best part of £200 and can't be bothered with people thinking I'm trying to pull a fast one.

200 quid for a golf club!!!! What you bought Royal Troon?

• Haha 2