Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

Anyone else just get really random injuries? 

I've somehow managed to injury my big toe to the point I can't lift it up, can't bend it as much as the other one, and it's gone quite red and swollen at the joint. 

Can't remember hitting it on anything or how it could have happened?! 

6 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I've somehow managed to injury my big toe to the point I can't lift it up, can't bend it as much as the other one, and it's gone quite red and swollen at the joint. 

Not really an injury as such; but recently, I've noticed that I'm swallowing (no jokes, please..:P) an awful lot when in bed.

To the point where it can't stop - it's having a bit of an impact on my sleep.

Am not sure if it's to do with the heat, but I usually drink half a glass of water in the evenings to be hydrated - so it's quite a mystery.

Edited by Wymsey

6 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Not really an injury as such; but recently, I've noticed that I'm swallowing (no jokes, please..:P) an awful lot when in bed.

To the point where it can't stop - it's having a bit of an impact on my sleep.

Am not sure if it's to do with the heat, but I usually drink half a glass of water in the evenings to be hydrated - so it's quite a mystery.

Ghost Semen.

In all seriousness have you tried any anti reflux tablets? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rain King said:

Ghost Semen.

In all seriousness have you tried any anti reflux tablets? 

No, I haven't - but that might be considered for sure if this carries on (had it for a few nights now), thanks.

Edited by Wymsey

32 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

No, I haven't - but that might be considered for sure if this carries on (had it for a few nights out), thanks.

I suffer pretty bad from reflux and if I've not taken my prescribed Lanzaprazole I have the same as you described. 

Probably worth trying some Rennies/Gaviscon.

Edited by Rain King
  • Thanks 1

Random injuries - For some reason the last few nights I've been waking up with a pain/ache in the right side of my back. Takes a few hours for it to alleviate by stretching and moving, but then as soon as I lie down it comes back again. Really pissing me off now. I've tried flipping my mattress and trying to sleep on my back instead of my side but nothing seems to help. 

If someone passes away suddenly, not foul play or an accident or very old, just dies. Am I right in thinking it's standard to hold a postmortem? And that until completed, a death certificate can't be issued to make funeral arrangements? Any idea how long that would take?

What's the average period of time before a funeral?

The other half's brother-in-law died suddenly nearly 2 weeks ago, and we're trying to estimate when the funeral might be. The family aren't big on communication, so no point trying them. We only found out from the other half's ex's daughter. Last time a family member died, they only told us they'd died the day before the funeral!

23 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

If someone passes away suddenly, not foul play or an accident or very old, just dies. Am I right in thinking it's standard to hold a postmortem? And that until completed, a death certificate can't be issued to make funeral arrangements? Any idea how long that would take?

What's the average period of time before a funeral?

The other half's brother-in-law died suddenly nearly 2 weeks ago, and we're trying to estimate when the funeral might be. The family aren't big on communication, so no point trying them. We only found out from the other half's ex's daughter. Last time a family member died, they only told us they'd died the day before the funeral!

My understanding is that a post-mortem is standard if the cause of a sudden death is unclear. If the deceased has been seen by a GP or hospital in the weeks preceding and sudden death is explained by that complaint, then no post-mortem is required.

No funeral without a death cert and no death cert without an established cause of death is standard, I think. When my Mum died suddenly as a hospital in-patient but clearly due to a stroke, there was still a painful 2-day wait while the hospital and the coroner liaised over precise cause of death (though no post-mortem was required). 

My ex's brother died a couple of years ago under the circumstances you describe (aged 61, not under any treatment, had been grumbling about a stomach ache, then was found dead - turned out to be sepsis from a perforated ulcer).

His funeral took about 2-3 weeks longer than usual to arrange due to his post-mortem. That's purely anecdotal, but I'm guessing might be typical provided the post-mortem is straightforward. Might take longer if cause of death isn't immediately clear from the post-mortem (a small minority of cases, I presume)?

• Thanks 1

On 20/06/2023 at 21:53, StanSP said:

Sounds like you've got gout my friend! Good luck. 

On 21/06/2023 at 07:55, The Bear said:

Random injuries - For some reason the last few nights I've been waking up with a pain/ache in the right side of my back. Takes a few hours for it to alleviate by stretching and moving, but then as soon as I lie down it comes back again. Really pissing me off now. I've tried flipping my mattress and trying to sleep on my back instead of my side but nothing seems to help. 

Motivationaldoc on youtube has some excellent videos on sleeping positions

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Any chance someone could make a post of players In's & Out's for this season? I think maybe @davieG/ @moore_94 one of you guys have done it in the past?

(Unless there already is one and i'm blind) 

EDIT - Nvm, i was blind :D  

Easily missed, not much action so it slipped down the page until the Maddison move.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Daggers said:

How do I stop my wife snoring?

I realise I could buy her a one way ticket to somewhere far away but I’m rather hoping for a cheaper solution that maintains my barely existing sex life.

Has she been screened for sleep apnea?

1 minute ago, shen said:

Has she been screened for sleep apnea?

No, but that’s not the issue. She is constantly leaping out of bed suddenly looking for something or believing someone’s in the house. And she’s got a bit chonky. And she lies on her back. 

I’ll lie staring at the ceiling as it starts quietly and builds up to window shattering volume.

2 minutes ago, Daggers said:

No, but that’s not the issue. She is constantly leaping out of bed suddenly looking for something or believing someone’s in the house. And she’s got a bit chonky. And she lies on her back. 

I’ll lie staring at the ceiling as it starts quietly and builds up to window shattering volume.

Well if she has sleep apnea it might help massively with the snoring if she used a CPAP machine. Not sure it will improve your sex life, but it should improve sleep quality for both and counter potential apnea health risks.

I don't know how it works in the UK with health insurance etc, but getting screened is pretty easy and quick.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Daggers said:

How do I stop my wife snoring?

I realise I could buy her a one way ticket to somewhere far away but I’m rather hoping for a cheaper solution that maintains my barely existing sex life.

This and you can maintain a good sex life on your part. Win win! 

x-noveleira-christiane-torloni.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, String fellow said:

Can someone please advise me on disposal of old petrol? It was removed from a lawn mower. The Mountsorrel Recycle Centre were happy to take the mower, and thanked me for emptying the tank, but wouldn't accept the petrol.

I just had a quick look on the county council website and their advice is you need to contact your local garage. I'm sure we took some to our recycling centre in Wigston and they took it, but that was a few years back now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, String fellow said:

Can someone please advise me on disposal of old petrol? It was removed from a lawn mower. The Mountsorrel Recycle Centre were happy to take the mower, and thanked me for emptying the tank, but wouldn't accept the petrol.

Wait until November 5th and use it to start your bonfire.

Make sure to stand well back.

image.jpeg.6572ba6696d8c68d3754d4f9e2a3f68f.jpeg

• Like 2