Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

5 hours ago, bmt said:

So I'm meant to be paying for a group of flights to NZ which costs £7000 or so pounds. I have the money but want to pay for it through my credit card so we have some protection (and the points on AmEx preferably), and it is considerably above my credit limit. Is it possible to get around this?

Are you getting their tier points too? lol

I am a total luddite. I am supposed to be working from home but recently it's been very difficult to have video calls due to poor connection. Seems to be worse on zoom than others. Get messages pop up that the connection is unstable or there's not enough bandwidth. Did a speed test on my provider's website (Talktalk) and it came back as 'speed to router good' but 'speed to your device poor'. What is the reason for this mismatch? 

38 minutes ago, bovril said:

I am a total luddite. I am supposed to be working from home but recently it's been very difficult to have video calls due to poor connection. Seems to be worse on zoom than others. Get messages pop up that the connection is unstable or there's not enough bandwidth. Did a speed test on my provider's website (Talktalk) and it came back as 'speed to router good' but 'speed to your device poor'. What is the reason for this mismatch? 

Sounds like a weak wifi signal.

Use a cable if you can - an ethernet cable straight from the router to the PC.

If not an option try this or Google around.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/how-to-fix-slow-wi-fi-internet

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bovril said:

Glass is the enemy of wi-fi if there's any internal doors/windows between your laptop/router.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Somebody please help me. So I use Spotify almost every day, in car or headphones and I noticed since Friday that every time I have some sort of notification my Spotify stops/paused which has never done this before. Music just used to go a little quiet for about a second then carry on at usual level and now it just stops until I press play again which I can't do in my car. I don't know what settings to look at to change it. I am pretty sure I woke up Friday morning and my phone had updated so whether it's anything to do with that I'm not sure. I give up !

34 minutes ago, SeCrEt FoX said:

Somebody please help me. So I use Spotify almost every day, in car or headphones and I noticed since Friday that every time I have some sort of notification my Spotify stops/paused which has never done this before. Music just used to go a little quiet for about a second then carry on at usual level and now it just stops until I press play again which I can't do in my car. I don't know what settings to look at to change it. I am pretty sure I woke up Friday morning and my phone had updated so whether it's anything to do with that I'm not sure. I give up !

iOS or Android?

6 minutes ago, SeCrEt FoX said:

Android. I'm just chatting to Spotify support at minute 

It's usually a notification setting for other apps rather than spotify.  Do you use Seperate App Sound?  It's ins Settings>Sounds. I just enable YT Music/Audible etc. in there and link it to my car/headphones.

3 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

I’m iOS and have same issue if you have any pointers 👍

Android man here so useless with iPhone issues!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

It's usually a notification setting for other apps rather than spotify.  Do you use Seperate App Sound?  It's ins Settings>Sounds. I just enable YT Music/Audible etc. in there and link it to my car/headphones.

Android man here so useless with iPhone issues!

Well thank you for you help but it is now sorted. I had to delete the app and reinstall which has worked. 

On 26/02/2024 at 12:42, SeCrEt FoX said:

Clear pron from your phone

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Why did they add the "leap day" during the working week and not insert it between Saturday and Sunday.

I've had to work another day for no extra money :mad:

I'm struggling to understand this. 

9 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Ignore me I was mucking about lol

Haha.

Actually when I was working at sea there was definitely a 'right way' and a 'wrong way' to sail - especially when doing full world voyages. The wrong way you would lose an hours sleep most nights due to the clocks changing, and then gain a day when your reached a specific time zone.

The right way meant you had an extra hour in bed most days and 'lost' a day at some point...but obviously still got paid! 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking of getting an aquarium, a starter or small one. I was wondering how difficult/easy they are to maintain, what kit I need and what plants to put in it etc.

I'm sure some on here have an aquarium and could give me some pointers?

6 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I'm thinking of getting an aquarium, a starter or small one. I was wondering how difficult/easy they are to maintain, what kit I need and what plants to put in it etc.

I'm sure some on here have an aquarium and could give me some pointers?

Marine or freshwater?

2 hours ago, Parafox said:

Freshwater

Only ever ran a marine one. Even that was a once a week clean and straightforward to keep running nice and clean. I think freshwater is even less involved so shouldn't be too much of a ballache. 

The guys and girls at most aquatic shops are knowledgeable and worth having a with as they can give you the specifics on maintenance and care. 

I used to always use Maidenhead Aquatics at Palmer's Garden Centre in Enderby. 

• Thanks 1

I'm in need of some tax/accountancy advice.  I'm a self - employed sole trader in the Harborough area, can anybody recommend anyone and whether it would be better to go for a freelancer or a firm?

Thanks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, murphy said:

I'm in need of some tax/accountancy advice.  I'm a self - employed sole trader in the Harborough area, can anybody recommend anyone and whether it would be better to go for a freelancer or a firm?

Thanks.

Perhaps @Tommy G can help?

• Thanks 1