Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

Ring Doorbells: Is there anyway of turning motion notifications off when you are approaching?

I don't need to be notified i'm outside! lol

Didn't know if there was a setting where it realised (via your phone) its you that is in proximity of the doorbell.

Why do we have to have party politics? Why can't we have 400+ independent MPs who have to coalesce? Why such a big wank fest about large majority enabling string government, when all the ruling party does is rely on focus groups and, nowadays, AI to share policy?

Tbh, the questions are rhetorical. Election 24... **** off.  

On 26/03/2024 at 19:45, Wymsey said:

Will there ever be a time where nothing will go up in price each year?..

Western style capitalism requires an inflation rate of around 2% and ideally wages to go up slightly more.This way economies grow whilst living standards increase.Zero inflation and 100% employment rates can be a sign of a stagnant economy.It shows that there is no movement.Japan had a problem not so long back with similar economic conditions.

• Haha 1

Why are Aldi and Lidl referred to by the press as ‘discounters’? They don’t discount, they have a different business model of not being quite as greedy as the major supermarkets.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Big Dave said:

Why are Aldi and Lidl referred to by the press as ‘discounters’? They don’t discount, they have a different business model of not being quite as greedy as the major supermarkets.

Agreed. 

I read this morning that Tesco have made record profits for the last year, nearly 3 times as much as the previous year. They're just the same as energy companies, using the world conflicts to increase prices and profiteer whilst complaining about rising costs. All at the expense of the customers who are struggling to make ends meet. 

On 15/04/2024 at 17:41, Izzy said:

Why has the Deathlist thread been locked?

Anyway, RIP Derek Underwood. One of England's finest ever spinners

Derek Underwood: England and Kent great dies aged 78

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/68818400

The consensus seems to be that following @FoxesDebtragic loss, it was best to lock it, possibly temporarily, to avoid any possible posts that might have caused further sadness. I don't think any posters would have deliberately posted but it was best not to take the chance. We all know some on here can be stupid, thoughtless and ignorant.

Finding myself in a bit of a dilemma. Me and my partner live in a terraced house and the noise from neighbours is quite clear. The woman next door is constantly screaming and swearing at her 5 year old boy at all times of the day and late at night. Just tonight I've heard her screaming "for ****s sake, do you really think I've got time to be changing your ****ing sheets" as the boys clearly wet the bed

Now I never even have to raise my voice to my children for them to behave themselves but I'd never dream about swearing at them. It honestly turns my stomach hearing her. I don't get why people have kids if they're such a burden to them :cry:

Should I say/do something or should I mind my own business?

Edited by foxfanazer

On 19/03/2024 at 10:07, Parafox said:

I'm thinking of getting an aquarium, a starter or small one. I was wondering how difficult/easy they are to maintain, what kit I need and what plants to put in it etc.

I'm sure some on here have an aquarium and could give me some pointers?

Only just seen this. I bought a 60l tank last May and got absolutely hooked on the hobby. As someone who suffers quite a lot mentally it became an absolute godsend. I could lose hours just sitting watching the fish. Honestly the most peaceful thing ever.

I've now moved on and upgraded to a 240l tank and I'm a bit obsessed.

The hardest/longest/most frustrating part is cycling the tank at the very beginning to ensure everything is just right before adding any fish (Google will explain far better than I can).

After that it's pretty straight forward, bit of a clean and around 20% water change every week. Really very simple.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, foxfanazer said:

Finding myself in a bit of a dilemma. Me and my partner live in a terraced house and the noise from neighbours is quite clear. The woman next door is constantly screaming and swearing at her 5 year old boy at all times of the day and late at night. Just tonight I've heard her screaming "for ****s sake, do you really think I've got time to be changing your ****ing sheets" as the boys clearly wet the bed

Now I never even have to raise my voice to my children for them to behave themselves but I'd never dream about swearing at them. It honestly turns my stomach hearing her. I don't get why people have kids if they're such a burden to them :cry:

I understand your dilemma and that is a really tough decision to make. 

My lad is the same age and is autistic and I have done a lot of research into how damaging shouting at your children can be - every parent has the right to parent the kids how they want, but you obviously draw the line at abuse which I think is what you are describing here.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tommy G said:

7 hours ago, Tommy G said:

I understand your dilemma and that is a really tough decision to make. 

My lad is the same age and is autistic and I have done a lot of research into how damaging shouting at your children can be - every parent has the right to parent the kids how they want, but you obviously draw the line at abuse which I think is what you are describing here.

It is abuse right?

After what I heard last night I shouted to my partner (so next door would hear) "can you hear what she's screaming to that kid" and as if by magic it stopped. Hoping that now she knows we hear her it calms down but if not I think I'm gonna confront them

Edited by foxfanazer

On 22/04/2024 at 22:14, foxfanazer said:

20 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

It is abuse right?

After what I heard last night I shouted to my partner (so next door would hear) "can you hear what she's screaming to that kid" and as if by magic it stopped. Hoping that now she knows we hear her it calms down but if not I think I'm gonna confront them

Yes. 

You should be able to report this to your Local authority. 

Not everyone knows it but everyone has a duty of care to report any alleged child safeguarding abuse or neglect. It sounds like it's ongoing or a regular occurrence? You can report it anonymously as well - chances are if she's shouting loud enough so you can hear it through your walls, then other neighbours may be hearing it too. 

Reporting it also doesn't automatically mean her kids will get taken away. If the right processes are followed, she should be offered support on how to parent her child without constantly shouting at them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

How do you create a poll on FT? Would be great to have an Enxo in/out one now, after a positive result and not a reactionary one straight after we just lost.

I'd best my house it would be tell a whole different story. 

When you go to 'Start a New Topic' at the top of the page you'll see 'Content'. Click on that and a drop down option will appear for 'Poll' :)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, StanSP said:

Yes. 

You should be able to report this to your Local authority. 

Not everyone knows it but everyone has a duty of care to report any alleged child safeguarding abuse or neglect. It sounds like it's ongoing or a regular occurrence? You can report it anonymously as well - chances are if she's shouting loud enough so you can hear it through your walls, then other neighbours may be hearing it too. 

Reporting it also doesn't automatically mean her kids will get taken away. If the right processes are followed, she should be offered support on how to parent her child without constantly shouting at them

Good information thanks. I must admit the second part is what was worrying me most. The next time I'll either confront them or report it. Who would be first port of call for something like this?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foxfanazer said:

Good information thanks. I must admit the second part is what was worrying me most. The next time I'll either confront them or report it. Who would be first port of call for something like this?

Police or local authority. There should be number or an email on their website to report any child safeguarding concerns. 

Do you get on with the neighbour? Only speak to them if you're really comfortable doing so as obviously it is a very sensitive subject. Not many people like being told how to parent their kids at the best of times! 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Police or local authority. There should be number or an email on their website to report any child safeguarding concerns. 

Do you get on with the neighbour? Only speak to them if you're really comfortable doing so as obviously it is a very sensitive subject. Not many people like being told how to parent their kids at the best of times! 

We don't really know them, you barely ever see them. I'd be quite comfortable doing it though 

• Like 2

Just now, foxfanazer said:

We don't really know them, you barely ever see them. I'd be quite comfortable doing it though 

Fair enough. I'd err on side of caution though, be civil! Hate seeing neighbours fall out cos it can lead to so much more worse over time! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

Oh yeah absolutely. I can be quite diplomatic. I just can't ignore it for any longer 

I think you can make an anonymous referral to the child safeguarding teams at the local authority.

I'd be wary of direct contact with the neighbour. As @StanSPsaid it could take an unexpected turn. It's generally best to pass it on to those that have the experience and "power" to intervene.

Childline is still a way of anonymously reporting things such as you are experiencing. It's not just for kids.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1