Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

On 19/11/2023 at 16:20, Matt said:

Any advice or suggestions for cheap tablets? Amazon tabs? Acer/Lenovo?

Good, bad, indifferent or don't bother? Save the money and put it towards an iPad/Alternative?

I'm looking for a reasonably cheap and basic tablet to buy as a gift.

I've seen;

Buy AMAZON Fire HD 8 Tablet (2022) - 32 GB, Black | Currys - £49.99 

Buy VENTURER Voyager 7" Tablet - 16 GB, Rose Gold | Currys = £59.99

Buy ACER ACTAB723 7" Tablet - 16 GB, Black | Currys - £59.99 - These first 3 perhaps abit on the small side?

Buy AMAZON Fire HD 10 10.1" Tablet (2023) - 32 GB, Black | Currys - £84.99

Buy ACER ACTAB1024 10.1" Tablet - 32 GB, Gun Grey | Currys - £89.99

Buy LENOVO Tab M9 9" Tablet with Silicone Case - 32 GB, Arctic Grey | Currys - £99.99

As someone who has only used Apple and knows nothing about Android are they similar in ease of use? I assume you can pretty much download the same like-for-like apps? Google news as opposed to Apple news?

excluding the Fires... all android tabs have been good enough for me if just used for simple browsing and emails etc.

Play store is equal to or better than Apple for apps

Its all about specs on the tab and what you are doing.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have easyjet vouchers but cant find the password. How do you get this? Or if they did send the password how do you find it? I've tried so many search terms in my emails, think they just make it as hard as possible for people to use them.....

What is the legality of taking cuttings from a hedge in a field?

It always annoys me that the birds get to the damsons before I do, so I fancy relocating some damson bush to our garden where the dogs will keep the birds off the fruit. Naturally, the legality or illegality of the act is not going to stop me from doing it - farmer hacks away at the hedge every year, so in a way I’d be helping.

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

What is the legality of taking cuttings from a hedge in a field?

It always annoys me that the birds get to the damsons before I do, so I fancy relocating some damson bush to our garden where the dogs will keep the birds off the fruit. Naturally, the legality or illegality of the act is not going to stop me from doing it - farmer hacks away at the hedge every year, so in a way I’d be helping.

Are you sure they’re not Sloes? They are the fruit of the Blackthorn which is regularly used in hedgerows whereas Damson is normally a standalone tree.  

I’d help myself to a cutting if blackthorn. If Damson, you’ll probably need a graft to guarantee fruit. 

1 hour ago, jgtuk said:

Are you sure they’re not Sloes? They are the fruit of the Blackthorn which is regularly used in hedgerows whereas Damson is normally a standalone tree.  

I’d help myself to a cutting if blackthorn. If Damson, you’ll probably need a graft to guarantee fruit. 

Definitely damsons. I’ve collected them in the past to make damson rum and damson vodka. And containerloads of sloes for the gin. 

1 minute ago, Daggers said:

Definitely damsons. I’ve collected them in the past to make damson rum and damson vodka. And containerloads of sloes for the gin. 

In that case, you will be better off buying a sapling as it will be grafted stock. You could try taking a cutting as it will definitely grow but probably won't bear any fruit.

I'd probably just go scrumping :ph34r:

27 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

In that case, you will be better off buying a sapling as it will be grafted stock. You could try taking a cutting as it will definitely grow but probably won't bear any fruit.

I'd probably just go scrumping :ph34r:

Why?

Yes, @FoxesDeb is correct. We hoomans very cleverly spent years trying to cultivate wild fruit and came up with grafting root stocks which guarantee a particular variety, including fruit, height and breadth of said tree. Wild stock normally grows much taller and can take many years to fruit. I have three wild Welsh Damson and they stand at about 30ft tall, makes it difficult to harvest. A grafted tree will fruit at around 3 years onwards and will probably only reach 10ft depending on variety. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody actually have a landline phone now that they actually use?

Called in to EE for a new SIM card yesterday and they were trying to convince me to upgrade my broadband. I was tempted as they could up the speed and save me a few quid, provided I give up the landline. I'm struggling to remember when I last used it and even the pensioners in the family have mobiles now so don't really see the need.

Am I missing a good reason for keeping hold of it?

25 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Does anybody actually have a landline phone now that they actually use?

Called in to EE for a new SIM card yesterday and they were trying to convince me to upgrade my broadband. I was tempted as they could up the speed and save me a few quid, provided I give up the landline. I'm struggling to remember when I last used it and even the pensioners in the family have mobiles now so don't really see the need.

Am I missing a good reason for keeping hold of it?

https://www.local10.com/features/2022/04/25/5-reasons-why-having-a-landline-phone-can-still-be-beneficial/

Believe that's a US based article but assume same applies in europe.

IMO, not worth it unless its offered for like £5 a month or less lol.

3 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

https://www.local10.com/features/2022/04/25/5-reasons-why-having-a-landline-phone-can-still-be-beneficial/

Believe that's a US based article but assume same applies in europe.

IMO, not worth it unless its offered for like £5 a month or less lol.

Thanks for that. The two most tempting ones on there don't actually apply to us - our landline phone is cordless and without power the base unit doesn't work, and as for call quality, it's generally dire on landlines in my experience.

Looks like it's bye bye landline, although unhelpfully my kids are insisting that I spend the money saved on a Netflix subscription, which is an incredibly unattractive proposition

50 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Thanks for that. The two most tempting ones on there don't actually apply to us - our landline phone is cordless and without power the base unit doesn't work, and as for call quality, it's generally dire on landlines in my experience.

Looks like it's bye bye landline, although unhelpfully my kids are insisting that I spend the money saved on a Netflix subscription, which is an incredibly unattractive proposition

You are welcome. Happy to feed into your kids netflix request lol

If you watch a spider drop from the ceiling suspended by a thread of web coming from its abdomen it will sometimes go back up and that thread becomes shorter.  So... what happens to that thread of silk?  Does it have some kind of internal fishing reel type of mechanism?

1 hour ago, murphy said:

If you watch a spider drop from the ceiling suspended by a thread of web coming from its abdomen it will sometimes go back up and that thread becomes shorter.  So... what happens to that thread of silk?  Does it have some kind of internal fishing reel type of mechanism?

It uses its legs/arms to wind it back up as it goes. 

• 1 month later...
On 26/12/2023 at 18:38, Free Falling Foxes said:

Anyone have any idea how long the KP stadium tour takes?

....and no, I wouldn't leave after 80 mins. :glare:

about 2 hours from recollection. thoroughly enjoyable these days and great value imho

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm meant to be paying for a group of flights to NZ which costs £7000 or so pounds. I have the money but want to pay for it through my credit card so we have some protection (and the points on AmEx preferably), and it is considerably above my credit limit. Is it possible to get around this?

4 minutes ago, bmt said:

So I'm meant to be paying for a group of flights to NZ which costs £7000 or so pounds. I have the money but want to pay for it through my credit card so we have some protection (and the points on AmEx preferably), and it is considerably above my credit limit. Is it possible to get around this?

Ring Amex and ask them to extend your limit. Or Pay money into Amex so u have £7k (money in plus your credit).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1