Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

No it doesn't BUT adding two very good CB's to your squad does. Even the most myopic City fan would hopefully concede that Ferdinand and Caulker are superior defenders than Morgan and Moore.

I think more would also agree that Loic Remy is a better striker than anything we have.

On paper they 'appear' to have a better central defence (if we include Dunne as part of their back 3 that Hoddle has been brought in to help coach) and a better attack, so it is not surprising that many pundits view them as stronger contenders to stay up.

QPR didn't suffer at the back last season, they struggled because their midfield was dogshit. Anyone who watched the Championship last season would know what an average side they were, and how scraping 1-0 wins got them so far in periods of the season (despite the fact they had one of the top strikers in the league for half of it). They were not a good side, and need several additions in midfield to sort that out.

Considering those deficiencies that I don't believe they have properly addressed, and the fact they finished 22 points behind us last season, the only logical prediction is that they will struggle and finish behind us again.

Besides, Remy isn't that special.

We can't all stay up, three sides have to be relegated so why not us?

I think you've missed the point, it's not the fact that pundits are tipping us for relegation that people are moaning about in the main. More the fact they do so whilst showing a complete lack of knowledge about us and seemingly not using the same standards they judge us by, to judge say QPR or Burnley.

I refer back to the BT sport article that had Burnley to finish above us because "Leicester aren't as good as their fans think they are". Maybe we aren't... but we're better than ****ing Burnley, we already proved that.

Besides, Remy isn't that special.

He hasn't featured all pre-season, he'll be a gonner.

Edited by Babylon

We can't all stay up, three sides have to be relegated so why not us?

I doubt there are many supporters out there predicted their own sides to go down, everyone will think they have a chance of staying up and believe other squads/managers are weaker.

In the last two seasons the promoted champions have performed like this

Cardiff - 87pts - 30 points relegated

Reading - 89pts - 28 points relegated

Admittedly we secured far more points than the two above but being champions does not make you immune to relegation

You're definitely right but those last few sentences emphasise that really it's not the last two championship winners we should be comparing ourselves with, it's Reading 06 and Newcastle 10, both of whom stayed up very comfortably without drastically changing their squads.

My latest favourite "do they mean us" is Gary Jacob on The Times' The Game podcast:

"It's tough to get young players integrated in a tough, rugged division like the championship, I mean look at Leicester. They aren't an attractive team and play a certain style and they came up because of that".

Now it's one thing making generalisations and being completely lazy in making your predictions. It's another thing altogether trying to come across as well-informed by commenting on us playing in a way we haven't since 2011-12.

No it doesn't BUT adding two very good CB's to your squad does. Even the most myopic City fan would hopefully concede that Ferdinand and Caulker are superior defenders than Morgan and Moore.

I think more would also agree that Loic Remy is a better striker than anything we have.

On paper they 'appear' to have a better central defence (if we include Dunne as part of their back 3 that Hoddle has been brought in to help coach) and a better attack, so it is not surprising that many pundits view them as stronger contenders to stay up.

Caulker maybe, Ferdinand, not a chance in hell. Looked a liability of epic proportions any time he played for Man Utd. last season. One of the big reasons Moyes lost his job were his pathetic performances, and LVG clearly wasn't impressed, or he would have made some effort to keep him.

You're definitely right but those last few sentences emphasise that really it's not the last two championship winners we should be comparing ourselves with, it's Reading 06 and Newcastle 10, both of whom stayed up very comfortably without drastically changing their squads.

My latest favourite "do they mean us" is Gary Jacob on The Times' The Game podcast:

"It's tough to get young players integrated in a tough, rugged division like the championship, I mean look at Leicester. They aren't an attractive team and play a certain style and they came up because of that".

Now it's one thing making generalisations and being completely lazy in making your predictions. It's another thing altogether trying to come across as well-informed by commenting on us playing in a way we haven't since 2011-12.

FFS.

I think you've missed the point, it's not the fact that pundits are tipping us for relegation that people are moaning about in the main. More the fact they do so whilst showing a complete lack of knowledge about us and seemingly not using the same standards they judge us by, to judge say QPR or Burnley.

I refer back to the BT sport article that had Burnley to finish above us because "Leicester aren't as good as their fans think they are". Maybe we aren't... but we're better than ****ing Burnley, we already proved that.

He hasn't featured all pre-season, he'll be a gonner.

Unfortunately we're now the small fish in a big pond. These pundits are only concerned with what is happening in London and the North West, there is an occasional nod towards the North East when Newcastle are self destructing again but the rest of the division is pretty much non existant to them. Every day Talksport must do a "Lets Talk to *Insert Name of Ex Player about * Insert name of Top Six Team".

I have certain reservations about some positions in the squad but I see enough pace with Knocaert, Mahrez, De Laet and Schlupp to give some teams real trouble. We're a relatively young squad and its only going to improve by having another close season together.

Astonishing really, must be a Watford fan.

If you ask me, I reckon we'll finish within the bottom two places. I don't understand why people are predicting us to finish mid table... What have we earned to deserve a mid table finish? We lack the quality in depth, lack experience, already have fatal injuries and only spent £7m on a striker that has already found himself as third-choice.

I'm sorry, but until the season starts, I can't find the confidence and the optimism to say that we can do some damage in this division.

If you ask me, I reckon we'll finish within the bottom two places. I don't understand why people are predicting us to finish mid table... What have we earned to deserve a mid table finish? We lack the quality in depth, lack experience, already have fatal injuries and only spent £7m on a striker that has already found himself as third-choice.

I'm sorry, but until the season starts, I can't find the confidence and the optimism to say that we can do some damage in this division.

Quality in depth is the main thing that has got me worried to be honest, our starting 11 I think is strong enough to stay in the league, behind it though we are paper thin.

What have we earned to deserve a mid table finish?

We have fatal injuries?

Ulloa is third choice without us having even kicked a ball?

Are you Paul Merson?

Four out of the last fifteen promoted clubs went straight back down the next year.

I'm getting bored of these lazy morons with no journalistic sense predicting the promoted clubs to go straight back down. Especially when the only side they think will stay up are the play off side that finished twenty points behind us, still hasn't really strengthened up top and barely got through the play off final.

What have we earned to deserve a mid table finish?

We have fatal injuries?

Ulloa is third choice without us having even kicked a ball?

Are you Paul Merson?

Well you ask me, why do we deserve 13th place?

Fatal as in how fatal it could be in the coming weeks and how effective the injuries are regardless of how mild and injury is. An injury is an injury. As Taz has said we are paper thin behind our starting XI... And three of those in the lineup are injured; hence fatal.