Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

Lets be honest, pundits and journo's don't have a clue, if we sign Slimani, cambiasso or deeney or whoever, they will jump on the wagon oh Leicester can stay up now. We do have a strong squad, i actually think we will surprise people, as long as we don't get injuries i think we have a great chance of staying up. 

• Like 1

Foxoffderby, while the grammar was like something straight out of a playgroup finger painting, I did find that article quite funny, if lacking in any noteworthy information about, you know, football. I'm not sure if they're trying to be edgy by calling Vardy "Varney", or if they're really that stupid.

The part of the island where Leicester is harbours some of the most inbred weird places that the British isles have to offer. Take your pick from Derby, Melton Mowbray, Peterborough, Coventry, Rugby and Nuneaton. It’s in esteemed company when it comes to mongville. It’s on that basis that Leicester by comparison don’t seem so bad.

Sorry to anyone from there, but that's gold. :giggle:

Edited by bluesbrothers

It probably shouldn't wind me up as much as it is doing at my age but I can not wait for the team to shove the opinions of all of these so called experts and ignorant arm chair followers of other prem clubs right up their arses!!

When we last went up 10 years ago we were quite rightly favourites to go down such was our lack of any kind of quality in the squad except for Sir Les who was on his last legs.  This squad though is completely different.  We have some true quality players, like Drinky and James in the middle, the way they controlled games last year was fantastic to watch. Kasper is a top keeper, Vardy will cause anyone problems with his direct running and sheer pace.  Then we have the 2 French wingers who will put more than a few fullbacks on their arses as the season goes. Add to that Albrighton who was Villas best player last season and we are as good as a dozen teams in that league going forward.  Hopefully Nuge can up his game to perform in a league where he has previously struggled and we await to see what Ulloa is capable of.

There may be runs of games where we do not get many points at stages this season but I am certain with what we already have we will be more than good enough to comfortably stay up. If we add Cambiaso and another striker to what we already have then a top 10 finish will not be that far away. That is my prediction, Merson, Le Tissier etc can **** off.

• Like 4

Foxoffderby, while the grammar was like something straight out of a playgroup finger painting, I did find that article quite funny, if lacking in any noteworthy information about, you know, football. I'm not sure if they're trying to be edgy by calling Vardy "Varney", or if they're really that stupid.

It probably shouldn't wind me up as much as it is doing at my age but I can not wait for the team to shove the opinions of all of these so called experts and ignorant arm chair followers of other prem clubs right up their arses!!

When we last went up 10 years ago we were quite rightly favourites to go down such was our lack of any kind of quality in the squad except for Sir Les who was on his last legs.  This squad though is completely different.  We have some true quality players, like Drinky and James in the middle, the way they controlled games last year was fantastic to watch. Kasper is a top keeper, Vardy will cause anyone problems with his direct running and sheer pace.  Then we have the 2 French wingers who will put more than a few fullbacks on their arses as the season goes. Add to that Albrighton who was Villas best player last season and we are as good as a dozen teams in that league going forward.  Hopefully Nuge can up his game to perform in a league where he has previously struggled and we await to see what Ulloa is capable of.

There may be runs of games where we do not get many points at stages this season but I am certain with what we already have we will be more than good enough to comfortably stay up. If we add Cambiaso and another striker to what we already have then a top 10 finish will not be that far away. That is my prediction, Merson, Le Tissier etc can **** off.

I agree with both of these comments. 

Like I said can't wait for the season to start and we can show everyone. Just a shame we won't be playing our strongest team.

Lets be honest, pundits and journo's don't have a clue, if we sign Slimani, cambiasso or deeney or whoever, they will jump on the wagon oh Leicester can stay up now. We do have a strong squad, i actually think we will surprise people, as long as we don't get injuries i think we have a great chance of staying up. 

and this

Well thats rubbish.  If we are playing all the teams around us with ten games to go and are 6 points adrift then thats the best set of games we could hope for to get out of it.  Better that than being in the bottom 3 and having Norwich's run in from last season no?

And with all the pressure on us to take points of them, its just as worse if we don't succeed no?

Premier League Preview & Projections – Leicester City

Ulloa-Leicester-Action-Images-Craig-Brou

Photo by Action Images/Craig Brough

Team: Leicester City

Manager: Nigel Pearson

2013/14 Record:

Leicester City's 2013/14 Season Position W D L GF GA GD PTS TSR SoTR GR 1st 31 9 6 83 43 40 102 0.58 - 0.66

Transfers:

Leicester City's Transfers
Player
Position
To
From
Fee
Leonardo Ulloa Striker Leicester Brighton £8.0M Paul Gallagher Striker Preston Leicester Loan Jack Barmby Midfielder Leicester Manchester United Free Louis Rowley Defender Leicester Manchester United Free Marc Albrighton Midfielder Leicester Aston Villa Free Matthew Upson Defender Leicester Brighton Free Zak Whitbread Defender Derby Leicester Free Lloyd Dyer Midfielder Watford Leicester Free Ben Frempah Defender Ross County Leicester Free George Taft Defender Burton Leicester Free Ben Hamer Goalkeeper Leicester Charlton Free

Projections:

Leicester-Projections.png

Key Player: Leonardo Ulloa

Leicester ended the 2013/14 season with 102 points and the Championship title – nine points ahead of runners-up Burnley and 17 ahead of third placed Derby. Nigel Person’s side were the second top scorers in the division with 83 goals whilst having the third best defensive record (43 goals conceded). Furthermore, Leicester ended the season with a league leading 792 shots on goal at an average of 17.2 per match – 98 shots more than any other club – as 59% were located inside the box (third highest in the division) while only four sides allowed fewer shots than Leicester (12.5 per match). Needless to say, its promotion was well deserved after an excellent season.

Leicester have largely kept faith with the players that won promotion, with five of the six additions being free transfer signings. Youngsters Jack Barmby and Louis Rowley have joined from Manchester United, goalkeeper Ben Hamer has arrived from Charlton, Marc Albrighton was picked up from Aston Villa and defender Matthew Upson was acquired from Brighton – all costing no transfer fee. The big addition for the club was Leonardo Ulloa – costing a club record £8 million from Brighton.

Ulloa cost the south coast club £2 million, so the fee is a big return on its investment. There is the likely fee inflation due to transferring from an English club, which is natural in the modern game – but he provides Pearson with a physical presence to lead the line who can also chip in with goals.

At 6’ 3’’, it’s almost expected that he would act as a target man – at times at least – as it comes with the territory. Last season in the Championship, Ulloa won 3.10 aerial duels per 90 minutes at Brighton, with a solid 35.3% success rate for a striker. But that isn’t the only reason why Leicester spent £8 million on him.

The striker scored 14 goals last term, less than Leicester top scorer David Nugent’s 20 goals as well as Jamie Vardy’s 16 goal haul – but of course both players were playing in a better side than Ulloa. His conversion rate was strong after generating 2.75 shots per 90:

Leonardo Ulloa 2013/14 Metric Ulloa Goals 14 Goals per 90 0.44 Shots per 90 2.75 Conversion % 16.1% Assists 4 Shot Assists 40 Shot Assists per 90 1.27

Championship statistics from SoccerWay.com & WhoScored.com

This was a season after Ulloa had scored nine goals in 18 appearances – averaging 0.51 goals per 90 minutes; although this was a decrease on his 0.70 goals per 90 average in the Spanish second division with Almeria between the 2011/12 season and half of 2012/13 before moving to Brighton. There’s certainly goal scoring pedigree here, but his only top flight season was with Almeria during the 2010/11 campaign in which the club was relegated – although Ulloa did score seven goals at a rate of 0.36 non-PK goals per 90 minutes, converting 14.6% of his attempts at goal from 2.47 shots per 90. An average of one goal every three full 90s would have value in the Premier League, as even reaching double figures is a strong return, something that just 18 players managed in the Premier League last season.

Staying up will be tough for Leicester, like it will be for every promoted club – joining a relegation battle that is set to consist of 8 to 13 clubs. Leicester are one of eight sides with a greater than 20% chance of relegation according to the BSports projections but a far from favourites for the drop, but it will still undoubtedly be tough for Nigel Pearson’s side to remain in the Premier League – much like the majority of clubs outside of last season’s top seven in the Premier League.

If you want some more positive views look here:

Premier League Tips

Premier Team by Team (see us below)

Leicester

Arguably the strongest team to have emerged from the Championship in the past eight years, Leicester should have been making this jump 12 months ago but a post-Christmas collapse in 2012/13 enabled them to deal with a few insecurities first. Much is being made of their lack of top-flight experience but Nigel Pearson isn’t the sort of bloke who leaves anything to chance. He obviously believes this group is good enough to find its own way. Therefore, so should we.

• Like 2

Take no notice of these pundits, QPR were shit last year when they everyone tipped them to piss the championship, they're not adding, they're rebuilding because they lacked the quality in the first place. What us and burnley are doing is adding to already accomplished sides.

I think a little research would show that QPR were flat track bullies-they didn't do well against the other top sides last year, which doesn't bode well for a step up in quality.

One of the most encouraging things about our squad is that we beat the top teams and ended numerous unbeaten runs, some by sheer quality (Derby and Burnley) and some by grinding it out (QPR, the draw at Forest with 10 men...). I don't fear the Premier League, and trust Nige that a) we won't be daunted by our tough start, and b) we won't worry if we're bottom after 5.

Edited by Oxfordfox83

To be fair most of the predictions are being based on what we have now as a team, and if I were a tipster with no allegiance to Leicester I think I would probably say the same. But as I said that would be based on what we have now . A couple or three more quality signings and things will look a lot different to the pundits.

Let's face it most city fans are a bit underwhelmed by the signings so far and the defense being the major concern , and that has not been addressed. However there is still time for some quality signings lets just hope they come to fruition. :thumbup:

Edited by PAPA LAZAROU

The squawka one, although brief, sums up our chances quite well at the end. Tips us to finish 16th due to goals and pace but a weakness at fullback and possibly a lack of a holding midfielder not benefitting us away from home.

I take all the predictions from the "experts" with a pinch of salt anyway. Most of them - especially Jeff's 'boys' on Sky Sports can barely string a sentence together, let alone do some basic research. I know very little about the in-depth squads and tactics that most of the Premier League teams will use this season but if a TV channel offered me a large sum for my opinion, I'd give it and take the cash.