Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

Some clown on the Guardian Football Weekly Podcast criticising Ranieri for tinkering already in pre-season. lol

He realises what pre-season is for, right?  :unsure:

Football Weekly tends to be quite good, I'm hoping that's one lone nutjob rather than a trend that's going to be coming.

54% Leicester!!!! Blimey.

People never want to put all three promoted clubs to go down because it's very unoriginal and they think better of themselves for reaching out and picking a different team. We all do it.

I understand why Leicester have been picked by many to drop. We were bottom for a large part of the season and have lost our manager and best player.

When reaching for a Premier League team to go down it is actually quite difficult. Aston Villa have the media darling and have reinvested wisely. Sunderland survived because of Dick so people think they'll be okay. Newcastle have finally spent and spent well. WBA have Pulis. Crystal Palace are looking up the table.

Leicester have lost their best player and manager and appointed Claudio Ranieri. We're the easy option outside of the promoted clubs.

What those same people have forgotten is how well we competed in every game last term, we were never battered, spirit within the squad never faltered. 

We're not going down, we'll finish 12th - 15th and recieve barely any media attention in doing so. An uneventful season lies ahead imo, just what we need to establish ourselves.

• Like 1

He realises what pre-season is for, right? :unsure:

Football Weekly tends to be quite good, I'm hoping that's one lone nutjob rather than a trend that's going to be coming.

Yeah I listen fairly regularly and hasn't heard that chap before. Can't remember his name. Richardson, the Irish bloke et al were a little more positive before the clown finished with saying Cambiasso's departure is a real worry. Didn't speak about any of the new signings.

On the subject of persons targets; surely Pearson went to the board we need an X a Y and a Z. The scouting staff went out and found some suitable options, Pearson picks and the board handle the rest.

Why wouldn't CR go with that, makes sense to me that he would....

The scouting team we have if Pearsons team, put together by him and Walsh. It stands to reason he would want who his team suggest to him.

The only one signing that would even be questioned is Okazaki, due to the owners. But he and Walsh have talked about tracking him for years.

The people we've brought in so far were either signed when he was here, or linked with prior to him going. Other than Benalouane.

Pearson was slated as being stubborn etc. now we're meant to believe his signings were palmed off on him with him/his team not even wanting them.

As for the evidence he wasn't controlling the team, would love to hear what that evidence. Before you start we've played three at the back before. We've gone on long winless runs before and turned them around...so what else you got?

Not at all, don't contort my response. The original post that I replied to had stated in absolute terms that, 'these are all players that Pearson wanted at the club'. I merely cast aspersions on this as a statement of fact, respectfully noting that I'm not convinced. Very different to your ad-hominen "ffs what a load of cack" comment which may indeed garner some plus points in respect of your one dimensional online forum reputation but really doesn't portray your powers of debating in a very positive light.

The scouting team may well in their inception have been assembled my NP and SW, under Robinson but are ultimately answerable to Rudkin and the owners who have ultimate say and I contend in the case of JR an entirely different relationship with NP. I do agree that there were individual players courted by Pearson, but to suggest that this squad consists entirely of 'Nigel Pearson' players or that he fully endorsed their recruitment without any incidence of friction or opposition is frankly absurd. 

We have indeed gone on 'winless runs before and turned it around' but this is the Premiership and what happened before in The Championship is simply not comparable. 

The addition of Huth, and the return of Kasper was I concede hugely significant for us, however Nigel Pearson had the necessary resources at his disposal to effect the style of attacking football that should have been the hallmark of our play all season and conceivably propelled us to mid-table. It wasn't - and for the large part of November through until March his decisions were often atrocious consigning us to the foot of the table for five months. When he did eventually deploy wing backs against Arsenal he opted to continue faith in the dreadful Konchesky and Simpson. Konchesky against Walcott??!!??? What could possibly go wrong? Everyone sitting around me that night at the Emirates could see that a goal was inevitable. One single incident - of so, so many which we've revisited innumerable times on here to the point of utter tedium. So what have I got? - not much that avoids trudging over the same old ground. What have I got otherwise? Perhaps the experience of attending every home game and a dozen away fixtures (including Swansea, which was diabolical) - which I do concede is entirely subjective, but based upon my possibly flawed observations from the stands and in the absence of internal insight, that is my perception and the purpose of a forum is to express ones viewpoint and perhaps counter others without demeaning yourself by referring to them as 'utter bullcrap'. 

Nigel's modus operandi although pragmatic was utterly lacking in innovation and adaptability that is a prerequisite at this level. The Fifth round of the cup away to Villa betrayed a manger utterly bereft of ideas, creativity and tactical prowess. The bewildering adherence to disastrous zonal defending was a case in point. In short, he was very quickly found out at this level. My belief is that the cup tie against Villa was the watershed. Soon after the defence was overhauled, the system changed, players previously steadfastly eschewed by Pearson were utilised and overnight the set up and direction became inspired. The rapidity of the transformation was miraculous and I'm sorry, given the way that Nigel operated, I don't believe that he was significantly responsible for this change in anything other than motivation and maintaining morale. Indeed even if he was involved, I maintain that his involvement was marginalised and there were other key individuals driving and directing tactics and strategy. Pearson certainly channeled this from the touchline well, a far cry from his earlier insistence upon a lap top perched up in the centre of the West Stand. Amid much criticism and a run of dire results, he gravitated to pitchside as the season progressed but was largely impotent and ineffectual in his presence (although James McArthur would no doubt beg to differ). Post March, I completely concede, as opposed to standing motionless arms folded, he was animated and fully immersed in the game and the most incredible run ensued. Again, this should have been the case all season, particularly given his ability to lift the squad.

You disagree, you have disagreed before and I fully invite you to continue to do so and I will listen to and afford your opinions the respect that they deserve, but for better or for worse, Nigel has moved on now. We both ardently support the same team, I would however suggest that contrary to the original assertion, Nigel Pearson was not the sole architect of that team, either in terms of tactics or recruitment and as much as they may have played for him - they are not 'his players' they are the club's players. Right now, Ranieri and the current squad deserve our unconditional support. What develops then is the story of another season. 

• Like 1

Well no it was down to the addition of Huth, having a strong enough squad to pull it off, the formation change and change of approach, and the players maintaining their belief that they could keep us up. All of which can be attributed to Nigel Pearson.

Maybe, maybe not.

I was calling him a twat for being too defensive and not playing an attacking game, as had been so successful for us in the Championship after the Newcastle away game. Not because I don't like him or I thought he was a complete dud, or because I thought he'd not done well for us I must add, but tactics employed were piss poor.

Low and behold, as soon as it was shit are bust and we had to play on the front foot we were mustard.

You can choose say it was all down to Pearson - the turnaround - but some of us believe we would never have been in the precarious position we were, had NP been more tacitly aware of the strengths of his own team 6 months earlier.

I don't feel therefore that it's any massive blow having CR, and don't understand why we should regress. We were better than 6 other teams after all last season.

NB We do need a creative CM to give us some breathing space.

Edited by NotTheMarketLeader

Not at all, don't contort my response. The original post that I replied to had stated in absolute terms that, 'these are all players that Pearson wanted at the club'. I merely cast aspersions on this as a statement of fact, respectfully noting that I'm not convinced. Very different to your ad-hominen "ffs what a load of cack" comment which may indeed garner some plus points in respect of your one dimensional online forum reputation but really doesn't portray your powers of debating in a very positive light.

The scouting team may well in their inception have been assembled my NP and SW, under Robinson but are ultimately answerable to Rudkin and the owners who have ultimate say and I contend in the case of JR an entirely different relationship with NP. I do agree that there were individual players courted by Pearson, but to suggest that this squad consists entirely of 'Nigel Pearson' players or that he fully endorsed their recruitment without any incidence of friction or opposition is frankly absurd.

We have indeed gone on 'winless runs before and turned it around' but this is the Premiership and what happened before in The Championship is simply not comparable.

The addition of Huth, and the return of Kasper was I concede hugely significant for us, however Nigel Pearson had the necessary resources at his disposal to effect the style of attacking football that should have been the hallmark of our play all season and conceivably propelled us to mid-table. It wasn't - and for the large part of November through until March his decisions were often atrocious consigning us to the foot of the table for five months. When he did eventually deploy wing backs against Arsenal he opted to continue faith in the dreadful Konchesky and Simpson. Konchesky against Walcott??!!??? What could possibly go wrong? Everyone sitting around me that night at the Emirates could see that a goal was inevitable. One single incident - of so, so many which we've revisited innumerable times on here to the point of utter tedium. So what have I got? - not much that avoids trudging over the same old ground. What have I got otherwise? Perhaps the experience of attending every home game and a dozen away fixtures (including Swansea, which was diabolical) - which I do concede is entirely subjective, but based upon my possibly flawed observations from the stands and in the absence of internal insight, that is my perception and the purpose of a forum is to express ones viewpoint and perhaps counter others without demeaning yourself by referring to them as 'utter bullcrap'.

Nigel's modus operandi although pragmatic was utterly lacking in innovation and adaptability that is a prerequisite at this level. The Fifth round of the cup away to Villa betrayed a manger utterly bereft of ideas, creativity and tactical prowess. The bewildering adherence to disastrous zonal defending was a case in point. In short, he was very quickly found out at this level. My belief is that the cup tie against Villa was the watershed. Soon after the defence was overhauled, the system changed, players previously steadfastly eschewed by Pearson were utilised and overnight the set up and direction became inspired. The rapidity of the transformation was miraculous and I'm sorry, given the way that Nigel operated, I don't believe that he was significantly responsible for this change in anything other than motivation and maintaining morale. Indeed even if he was involved, I maintain that his involvement was marginalised and there were other key individuals driving and directing tactics and strategy. Pearson certainly channeled this from the touchline well, a far cry from his earlier insistence upon a lap top perched up in the centre of the West Stand. Amid much criticism and a run of dire results, he gravitated to pitchside as the season progressed but was largely impotent and ineffectual in his presence (although James McArthur would no doubt beg to differ). Post March, I completely concede, as opposed to standing motionless arms folded, he was animated and fully immersed in the game and the most incredible run ensued. Again, this should have been the case all season, particularly given his ability to lift the squad.

You disagree, you have disagreed before and I fully invite you to continue to do so and I will listen to and afford your opinions the respect that they deserve, but for better or for worse, Nigel has moved on now. We both ardently support the same team, I would however suggest that contrary to the original assertion, Nigel Pearson was not the sole architect of that team, either in terms of tactics or recruitment and as much as they may have played for him - they are not 'his players' they are the club's players. Right now, Ranieri and the current squad deserve our unconditional support. What develops then is the story of another season.

Great post.

Savage is doing a 606 show tonight. Heard him say "I could get Monaco out of Ligue 2!" and "If Ranieri was such a good manager why is he at Leicester?". Lots of balance there and clearly a huge fan so I switched off.

Savage is doing a 606 show tonight. Heard him say "I could get Monaco out of Ligue 2!" and "If Ranieri was such a good manager why is he at Leicester?". Lots of balance there and clearly a huge fan so I switched off.

he just wanted us to employ lennon so he could roll out "my mate lennon at leicester grrreat job!" every time we didn't lose, as if savage was somehow partly responsible because his mate was in charge. 

he just wanted us to employ lennon so he could roll out "my mate lennon at leicester grrreat job!" every time we didn't lose, as if savage was somehow partly responsible because his mate was in charge. 

He didn't mention Lennon from the bits I heard, especially as Neil won the notoriously difficult Scottish League at a club with 35,000 more fans in the ground than the next highest each week which is far better than anything Ranieri has ever done.

****ing bullshit.. I'm no expert, and neither are most when it comes to talking about, bigging up, or criticising your own team through your own blue tinted glasses, but i'm truly sick of this anti-Ranieri bolux going around the media, and for what? 'Greece lost 1 - 0 to the Faroe Islands'.

Subjectivity is one thing, but to promote the **** out of Bournemouth who have done nothing to warrant appraisal but scam refs into penalties and not improve their already shit defence, then label Leicester a team destined for relegation because.. wait for it... it's not the playyeerrrssssssss, they're goooooood - it's just Ranieriiiii isss badddd anddd hasss aaaa baaaddd trrraaccckkk reeeccooorrdd. 

**** off and die, can't wait to see Bournemouth bottom and Leicester comfortably 15th. And if it's switched, doesn't matter Bournemouth are still shit.

He didn't mention Lennon from the bits I heard, especially as Neil won the notoriously difficult Scottish League at a club with 35,000 more fans in the ground than the next highest each week which is far better than anything Ranieri has ever done.

i saw him tweet about it the other day, he was doing an ask me a question an i might answer and someone said "how do you think leicester will do" and he replied that we will hopefully be ok but would've been better if we'd have got lennon in. idiot. 

i saw him tweet about it the other day, he was doing an ask me a question an i might answer and someone said "how do you think leicester will do" and he replied that we will hopefully be ok but would've been better if we'd have got lennon in. idiot. 

Nepotism is very powerful.

Lennon quite frankly, did not deserve the Leicester job, and had he never played for the club, would never have even been an option.

A ball has yet to be kicked (apart from our good pre-season record) so all this media taking a sh*t on Ranieri is getting my goat. They all ****ing jizzed in their pants every time Nige went on a rant so they could knock up junk about losing the plot etc and now it's all 'Ranieri is shit, I can't belueve they sacked Nige' bollocks. As I said previously, the media, or the so called 'Journos' that write their stories based on tweets from fred next door know absolutely **** all. They tipped is for relegation last year, were we relegated? Oh...

PS. He might be a Leicester hero but we all know Savage is a 1st class nobend - he should never be bad mouthing City after the career we gave him.

Edited by SecretPro

I'm really looking forward to this season the more and more people write us off.

Claudio politely and pleasantly rebuking the haters is going to be marvellous.

Same here,nothing to lose.

It's like the school bully having a go you hit him,comes back again you hit him again,at some point they will get the message.

People said Southampton and Swansea would struggle last season because of the appointments of Koeman and Monk.

Monk being his first job and Koeman doing alot of job hopping on the continent with mixed results.

I wouldn't worry too much about what the so called pundits are saying, they get proved wrong time and time again.

Edited by Stevosevic