Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

yeah i don't understand this either, the whole "antipearson" thing seemed to me to be partly based on the fact he seems like he'd give anyone an interview about anything and smile all the way through. and even if you piss him off he'd still give you a story. 

ie;

surely a press dream? yet they all seem to unanimously dislike him and want him to fail. 

Little does he know Claudio is calling him a dog

Phil McNulty (BBC) predicts us to finish 19th.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33751507

Had Leicester City kept manager Nigel Pearson - who for all his bizarre behaviour did brilliantly as the Foxes won seven and drew one of their last 10 games to stay up - we would not be in this relegation territory.

But his sacking, with Leicester's board saying their working relationship was "no longer viable", and the appointment of Claudio Ranieri means I fear the worst.

Ranieri's appointment is, at best, left field and at worst uninspiring and unwise. A charming man but perhaps one out of time with the Premier League having last worked there with Chelsea in 2004 and having had a chequered career since.

The Italian known as "The Tinkerman" for his constant team changes was sacked last year as manager of Greece, an infamous four-month reign notorious for a home defeat by the Faroe Islands.

Time will tell - but this one does not quite sit right and it is to be hoped Leicester are not plunged back into the danger zone they occupied for so long last season.

Phil McNulty (BBC) predicts us to finish 19th.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33751507

Don't understand this thinking at all. Yes Nigel did great at the end of the season, but for the vast majority of it we were haemorrhaging points, dropped due to silly errors and questionable tactics. The idea that Nigel steered us to safety is a little silly, i'd put it more down to the players stepping up than Nigel being some sort of end of season tactical genius.

Don't understand this thinking at all. Yes Nigel did great at the end of the season, but for the vast majority of it we were haemorrhaging points, dropped due to silly errors and questionable tactics. The idea that Nigel steered us to safety is a little silly, i'd put it more down to the players stepping up than Nigel being some sort of end of season tactical genius.

Well no it was down to the addition of Huth, having a strong enough squad to pull it off, the formation change and change of approach, and the players maintaining their belief that they could keep us up. All of which can be attributed to Nigel Pearson.

Edited by Mark_w

I'm shocked that so many pundits have predicted us to go down. Yes losing Nige and Cambiasso is a blow but the squad looks much stronger overall. Astonishing that more aren't predicting Villa to go down - they've lost their best 3 players including their almost sole source of goals. And yet the media think they'll finish around halfway cos they have Tactics Tim as manager, who for no obvious reason they seem to love. Would def rather have Ranieri over Sherwood myself. Anyway, we always do best when we're written off!

Fully agree with you about Villa. Them losing Delph and Benteke is surely a bigger blow than us losing Pearson and Cambiasso.  And when you see how they played in the Cup final it’s hard to think they have the grit to survive.  It’s also really hard to see Watford and Bournemouth finishing above us.

But most pundits are predicting our relegation because of Ranieri, not because of our strength of squad.

In the bottom half of the Premiership you generally need a young, tigerish manager like Sherwood, Dyche, Pulis… or Pearson. As we found out last season, when it comes to le crunch, it’s team spirit and determination that will get you out of trouble – not fancy tactics and PR skills.

This squad though is still Pearson’s, and is branded with his work ethic. With the exception of Bennalouane, these are all players Pearson wanted at the Club, and I think we will have too much quality to go down, regardless of who was Manager.

What Ranieri can actually add is still very much in doubt. So far he’s just continued with Pearson’s players, Pearson’s transfer targets, and probably Pearson’s formation and tactics. For this, he should be praised, cos it was exactly the right thing to do. However, at some point he’s going to want to stamp his own mark on the squad.  When that point comes, no-one can really predict what will happen, but it’s unlikely to be a sudden and magical improvement. If Ranieri can keep us up, he will have done a good job.

• Like 2

Bournemouth have a 7 page spread in this month's 'Four Four Two'. I know it's their first time in the league but come on! We've never had so much as a page whilst I've been reading it. Part of the reason I unsubscribed, I got fed up of reading articles rimming Messi.

Bournemouth have a 7 page spread in this month's 'Four Four Two'. I know it's their first time in the league but come on! We've never had so much as a page whilst I've been reading it. Part of the reason I unsubscribed, I got fed up of reading articles rimming Messi.

Give em a break! We couldn't stay as the media faves for ever. The greatest escape is over and it's someone else's turn for the spotlight.  It's taken Bournemouth 125 years to get to the top flight, and it will be fun watching them play in an 11,000 stadium against Man United and Arsenal.

The one bad thing I will say about Bournemouth is that their badge is fvcking weird.

241px-AFC_Bournemouth_%282013%29.svg.png

Looks like a girl with dreadlocks heading a ball. WTF??

With the exception of Bennalouane, these are all players Pearson wanted at the Club, and I think we will have too much quality to go down, regardless of who was Manager.

What Ranieri can actually add is still very much in doubt. So far he’s just continued with Pearson’s players, Pearson’s transfer targets, and probably Pearson’s formation and tactics. 

This is all highly debatable. I'm not convinced that NP did want some of our players and he certainly was marginalised in the transfer and scouting process. Again 'Pearson's transfer targets'? - Who precisely? and how do you know this? 'Pearson's formation and tactics'???? Prior to March they were an uninspired shambles which saw us rooted at the bottom of the table. Post Easter and the revival, I don't believe he was anything more than a puppet, on borrowed time, principally to maintain the morale of both team and fans whilst our strategy was orchestrated by strings being pulled elsewhere.

You over estimate the abilities and influence of the man as a Premiership manager. I will to an extent miss his measured and cautious approach, but in the Premiership you don't get that time and space - either on or off the field. I will also miss the respect that he commanded from the squad. I wish him well, and believe that there is a lower league team primed for ascendency under his stewardship - and perhaps one day, a chance again as a top flight manager. I'm convinced that the incredible ups and downs of 2014 - 2015 will have conferred the experience and eventual reflection to prove this to be the case. 

managers don't sign anyone anymore in the modern world. Yes years ago managers would be spotted in the terraces keeping an eye on a player, but with the other foreign leagues developing so greatly it would be impossible for managers to keep an eye on every player, instead the scouts do all the scouting while the manager, for example pearson, would state what qualities a player should have which under pearson would have been a hard working, fit player who won't distrupt the group. That sort of thing is what I'd imagine occurs nowadays.

• Like 2

Oh FFS... what a load of old cack.

I love how you question why the signings were Pearson targets, then think it's fine to trot out some utter bull crap consisting of zero evidence whatsoever.

Which is precisely why I said 'I don't believe' rather than stating it as an absolute. It is merely an opinion (that I am fully aware many will not share), based upon the entire season - and contrary to your statement there is compelling evidence to support this. Forums are for that purpose, to air a range of polarised opinions - you disagree, as you are entitled to do. 

Regarding known transfer and scouting policy at LCFC,  NP certainly did not have carte-blanche and the assumption that the current range of players were solely at his behest, or that he did not oppose some of the targets is frankly naive and laughable.

managers don't sign anyone anymore in the modern world. Yes years ago managers would be spotted in the terraces keeping an eye on a player, but with the other foreign leagues developing so greatly it would be impossible for managers to keep an eye on every player, instead the scouts do all the scouting while the manager, for example pearson, would state what qualities a player should have which under pearson would have been a hard working, fit player who won't distrupt the group. That sort of thing is what I'd imagine occurs nowadays.

Clubs have always had scouts to assist managers in their search for players, at the higher levels they just don't get involved so early but I'm sure there's still plenty of them that have a look at players before they're are signed after they've been recommended by a club or independent scout.

Give em a break! We couldn't stay as the media faves for ever. The greatest escape is over and it's someone else's turn for the spotlight. It's taken Bournemouth 125 years to get to the top flight, and it will be fun watching them play in an 11,000 stadium against Man United and Arsenal.

The one bad thing I will say about Bournemouth is that their badge is fvcking weird.

241px-AFC_Bournemouth_%282013%29.svg.png

Looks like a girl with dreadlocks heading a ball. WTF??

the only fun thing about it will be that they will hopefully lose double figures at least once.

as for that guardian vote, I really am the only one who think west brom will struggle. surely someone else out there can see their squad is arse and their manager is shit b

• Like 1

I'm not at all surprised that the media are predicting us to struggle, I'm more surprised that you lot are surprised!

Let's face it, if you look at last season objectively, the majority of last season we struggled. This was with a side that blitzed the Championship title and were considered a 'tight unit'. The team was built by Pearson, a manager that had been at the club long enough to stamp his authority on tactics etc, and were considered to be Pearson's players. Despite this, on the whole, we were finding picking up points in the PL difficult, despite spirited performances and the majority of people, on here included, thought we were destined for relegation. This year, we've lost that stability of having the same man in charge and the team is predominantly still Pearson's team. What we had going for us in this respect has now gone.

The argument against this is obviously last season's run in but let's face it, that was some kind of miracle. One I doubt we'll see again. Whereas we would regard it as a miracle, the media would describe it as a fluke, a good run of form perhaps, but a fluke nonetheless and won't really take it into consideration in their predictions. 

Every one in football talks about 'momentum' but the end of season and the change of manager could have a real effect on the momentum we had in those final few games.

For those of you saying 'how can they tip us for relegation when we finished 14th', they could easily counter that with 'Leicester spent more time at the bottom of the table than anyone else in PL history'.

Lawro reckons 1 each on Saturday

Leicester v Sunderland

If new Leicester manager Claudio Ranieri can get his team playing with the passion they showed under Nigel Pearson in the last couple of months of last season, they will be absolutely fine.

It is the same for Sunderland boss Dick Advocaat, who only took charge with nine games to go.

The Foxes will play good football under Claudio Ranieri and I am expecting Sunderland to do the same.

But Advocaat made the Black Cats hard to beat at the end of last season to get them safe and getting the basics right will be his priority at the King Power Stadium on Saturday.

Lawro's prediction: 1-1

Swann's prediction: This is a tricky one for me - living in Nottingham I am not allowed to like Leicester and being a Newcastle fan I am not allowed to like Sunderland. So I'm going for 0-0. It will be the worst game of the week and the last game on MOTD - don't even bother watching it.

Which is precisely why I said 'I don't believe' rather than stating it as an absolute. It is merely an opinion (that I am fully aware many will not share), based upon the entire season - and contrary to your statement there is compelling evidence to support this. Forums are for that purpose, to air a range of polarised opinions - you disagree, as you are entitled to do.

Regarding known transfer and scouting policy at LCFC, NP certainly did not have carte-blanche and the assumption that the current range of players were solely at his behest, or that he did not oppose some of the targets is frankly naive and laughable.

The scouting team we have if Pearsons team, put together by him and Walsh. It stands to reason he would want who his team suggest to him.

The only one signing that would even be questioned is Okazaki, due to the owners. But he and Walsh have talked about tracking him for years.

The people we've brought in so far were either signed when he was here, or linked with prior to him going. Other than Benalouane.

Pearson was slated as being stubborn etc. now we're meant to believe his signings were palmed off on him with him/his team not even wanting them.

As for the evidence he wasn't controlling the team, would love to hear what that evidence. Before you start we've played three at the back before. We've gone on long winless runs before and turned them around...so what else you got?

• Like 1