Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GLC

Game of Thrones - hide spoilers please.

I was never really interested in brans story throughout the shows run. Out of all the starks he was imo only above rickon in least interesting. I know we the viewers learnt alot from his visions but nothing really stood out. Imo Jon did the right thing killing danys after she murdered thousands of innocent people. Why didn’t anyone mention the fact he was the rightful heir to the throne when they were discussing who should lead the 7 kingdoms? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, winteriscoming said:

I was never really interested in brans story throughout the shows run. Out of all the starks he was imo only above rickon in least interesting. I know we the viewers learnt alot from his visions but nothing really stood out. Imo Jon did the right thing killing danys after she murdered thousands of innocent people. Why didn’t anyone mention the fact he was the rightful heir to the throne when they were discussing who should lead the 7 kingdoms? 

This is probably my biggest complaint about the entire thing.  What happened to Jon Snow.

It's been spoken a lot online but this was the character who thought he was a bastard and had no place in the world who led the Night's Watch to victory during the Wildling attack on the wall, who became the youngest Lord Commander in history, who forged the first peace between the wildings and Night's Watch (and then died for it), who liberated Winterfell from the Bolton's, who then became King of North, who then united the realms of men against the White Walker threat and defeated them, and who then had to kill the woman he loved to save countless others.  All whilst learning he is actually Aegon Targaryen and true heir to the throne.  

His reward for all of that is to be banished back to the far North to scratch out a pathetic existence and for what?   To satisfy the mass-murdering war-criminal Grey Worm WHO THEN ****S OFF ANYWAY.  

Meanwhile none of his sisters, advisors or best mate stick up for him or argue his case when deciding who should rule.  

Jarring :huh:

Edited by BlueSi13
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

This is probably my biggest complaint about the entire thing.  What happened to Jon Snow.

It's been spoken a lot online but this was the character who thought he was a bastard and had no place in the world who led the Night's Watch to victory during the Wildling attack on the wall, who became the youngest Lord Commander in history, who forged the first peace between the wildings and Night's Watch (and then died for it), who liberated Winterfell from the Bolton's, who then became King of North, who then united the realms of men against the White Walker threat and defeated them, and who then had to kill the woman he loved to save countless others.  All whilst learning he is actually Aegon Targaryen and true heir to the throne.  

His reward for all of that is to be banished back to the far North to scratch out a pathetic existence and for what?   To satisfy the mass-murdering war-criminal Grey Worm WHO THEN ****S OFF ANYWAY.  

Meanwhile none of his sisters, advisors or best mate stick up for him or argue his case when deciding who should rule.  

Jarring :huh:

Nah, Jon was happiest boning Ygritte, he never wanted power or responsibility he enjoyed being a wildling, one of the free folk.

Given that one of main faults with the last season is that the storylines had to accelerate to fit with GRRM's ending,  I was wondering whether if it would be worth buying his books instead (I am aware that he has not written last couple of books)?   Would any readers on here recommend his books?   

29 minutes ago, The Blur said:

Given that one of main faults with the last season is that the storylines had to accelerate to fit with GRRM's ending,  I was wondering whether if it would be worth buying his books instead (I am aware that he has not written last couple of books)?   Would any readers on here recommend his books?   

The books are fantastic, well worth reading.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Osavo said:

The books are fantastic, well worth reading.

I am bit reluctant as all books seem to be long-winded and I did not want to invest all of that time only for GRRM to decide he cannot be bothered to write any more?    I have heard there are lot of characters as well but I think watching the TV series might would make remembering them all bit more easier?

1 hour ago, The Blur said:

I am bit reluctant as all books seem to be long-winded and I did not want to invest all of that time only for GRRM to decide he cannot be bothered to write any more?    I have heard there are lot of characters as well but I think watching the TV series might would make remembering them all bit more easier?

Yeah I am a bit worried regarding the books not getting finished, seems like we have been waiting forever for The Winds of Winter. 

In the books there are a few more characters, but it's really not too hard to keep up. The fact that there are more characters and that the books go into greater detail actually help you to build up a much better profile of major characters. Stannis for example is portrayed very differently in the books to the TV series. You could easily read a book every fortnight or so, they are very difficult to put down. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Blur said:

I've only read the books since watching the show, (find it hard to read complex books without being able to envisage things), and really enjoyed reading them :thumbup:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Blur said:

Audiobooks ??

25 minutes ago, stix said:

Audiobooks ??

Exactly this. Only just started the series and listens to half of the first one in a week. I love audiobooks as you can still get on with stuff like driving, shopping, cooking etc.

I prefer to read at my own speed, and take in whatever information I need at my pace. Audiobooks means you're at the mercy of the narrator. And if you're finding a certain bit boring, you can't just skim and skip ahead with your eyes to a more interesting bit. 

37 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I prefer to read at my own speed, and take in whatever information I need at my pace. Audiobooks means you're at the mercy of the narrator. And if you're finding a certain bit boring, you can't just skim and skip ahead with your eyes to a more interesting bit. 

:S

Why would you do that anyway? You might miss some vital part of the story.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Strokes said:

:S

Why would you do that anyway? You might miss some vital part of the story.

I have to say, I skimmed a few of the bonking scenes, which were not particularly... well, you could tell they were written by a man who looks like G.R.R. Martin.

Phwoar, eh?!

As for the conclusion... for a terrible moment I thought it was going to end up as a, "and that's why democracy is better than monarchy" parable, but that was probably the only mistake it avoided.

2 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I have to say, I skimmed a few of the bonking scenes, which were not particularly... well, you could tell they were written by a man who looks like G.R.R. Martin.

Phwoar, eh?!

As for the conclusion... for a terrible moment I thought it was going to end up as a, "and that's why democracy is better than monarchy" parable, but that was probably the only mistake it avoided.

Fair enough, I’ve never found a book that I have had moments of tedium in, that was worth sticking through to the end. If I’m bored, I’d bin it and start something else.

I’ve not read the game of throne books though, I wanted to wait until the show had finished before starting, so maybe I’ll understand when I do.

9 hours ago, Strokes said:

Fair enough, I’ve never found a book that I have had moments of tedium in, that was worth sticking through to the end. If I’m bored, I’d bin it and start something else.

I’ve not read the game of throne books though, I wanted to wait until the show had finished before starting, so maybe I’ll understand when I do.

No one is going to write several thousands of pages with out the odd paragraph or two of meh.

• 2 months later...