Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GLC

Game of Thrones - hide spoilers please.

I must admit I haven't got much of a scooby as to what's going on but bearing in mind how clunky this series has been, the fact that they gave such emphasis to Arya and that 'random' white horse at the end must be significant in the context of the last episode.  Dunno how though. 

37 minutes ago, Brizzle Fox said:

I must admit I haven't got much of a scooby as to what's going on but bearing in mind how clunky this series has been, the fact that they gave such emphasis to Arya and that 'random' white horse at the end must be significant in the context of the last episode.  Dunno how though. 

Probablt Bran warging about like a big old freak.

9 hours ago, Captain... said:

Yes kill people to make an example where needed, but not innocents. She’s killed slavers to break the chains of slavery, the leaders of the other slave cities who wanted to destroy her and mereen, Dothraki khals who wanted to rape her, people who have betrayed her or fought her and not surrendered. She’s killed enemies and maybe some collateral damage.

She’s not deliberately taken innocent lives before and no other deliberate act in the whole series has caused such a pointless waste of lives. She has gone from heroine to flawed leader with questionable temperament to the greatest villain Westeros has ever seen. The mad king wanted to burn all of KL but didn’t, Dany did, and for no reason, there are no shades of grey, no just cause, no explaining this, it was pointless, needless killing. There is no redemption from this.

What about when she indiscriminately murdered all those slavers without a trial and it turned out at least one of them was kind of on her side?  Or when she murdered prisoners of war (the Tarlys) for not bending the knee? Even when it's been 'justified' her methods have always been utterly brutal. The Lannisters and the Boltons aren't the only war criminals in Westeros.  Those are all grey areas which is why I say they've been more heavy handed portraying her inner conflict this season, but it's always been where this character was going.

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

Anyone else notice how the melody of the bell chimes in King's Landing was reminiscent of the main refrain in the GoT theme tune, by the way?

I thought something sounded a little off but couldn't put my finger on it. 

1 minute ago, Carl the Llama said:

What about when she indiscriminately murdered all those slavers without a trial and it turned out at least one of them was kind of on her side?  Or when she murdered prisoners of war (the Tarlys) for not bending the knee? Even when it's been 'justified' her methods have always been utterly brutal. The Lannisters and the Boltons aren't the only war criminals in Westeros.  Those are all grey areas which is why I say they've been more heavy handed portraying her inner conflict this season, but it's always been where this character was going.

It's definitely been in the character, it's just once again a tad rushed and the execution frankly a bit stupid. If for instance she'd just decided to obliterate the red keep and loads of civilians died without her giving a shit, it feels a bit more real than her going backwards and forwards literally flaming anyone and anything around for about 20 minutes. 

• Like 2

Just now, Phube said:

The people proved they were her enemies by not overthrowing Cercei. 

According to the show the people hated Cersei. Think Tyrion even said so in Ep4, so you’d imagine Dany would’ve known this.

9 hours ago, Goober said:

CA0E100C-4319-48E6-99B2-37945CCEBBCB.png

• A woman who's village and people were raped and enslaved by the Dothraki and Khal Drogo, who she had no problem with when he said he'd have his people pillage and rape Westeros.
  • A man of a city that Dany violently threatened when at the gates, saying when her dragons were fully grown she'd have them destroy it.
  • She indiscriminately crucified slaver holders from a city who's governing body crucified slaves. Those she punished were not necessarily guilty of the crucifixions.
  • "Who threaten uprising"? Really? She held no trial, had no proof, even saying it out loud that they might be innocent.
  • Fair enough on her burning the Khal leaders.
  • She burns a supply train, fine, but then burns the captured commander and his son because they won't call her queen /turn against Cercei? As with Varys, even if his crime (of "treason"? even though Jon is the rightful heir to her family) is worse, her choice of executing people with dragon-fire is pretty horrific.

This was one of my favourite episodes in a long time. Arya's plot seemed a bit off though. Especially her getting on (death rides upon) a pale horse - should have been Jon, Davos, or Tyrion - unless Arya kills Dany, after killing the Night King, why not throw her into a plotline that doesn't involve her and have her end it, ugh.

Edited by FireFox

3 hours ago, FireFox said:
  • A woman who's village and people were raped and enslaved by the Dothraki and Khal Drogo, who she had no problem with when he said he'd have his people pillage and rape Westeros.
  • A man of a city that Dany violently threatened when at the gates, saying when her dragons were fully grown she'd have them destroy it.
  • She indiscriminately crucified slaver holders from a city who's governing body crucified slaves. Those she punished were not necessarily guilty of the crucifixions.
  • "Who threaten uprising"? Really? She held no trial, had no proof, even saying it out loud that they might be innocent.
  • She burns a supply train, fine, but then burns the captured commander and his son because they won't call her queen /turn against Cercei? As with Varys, even if his crime (of "treason"? even though Jon is the rightful heir to her family) is worse, her choice of executing people with dragon-fire is pretty horrific.

This was one of my favourite episodes in a long time. Arya's plot seemed a bit off though. Especially her getting on (death rides upon) a pale horse - should have been Jon, Davos, or Tyrion - unless Arya kills Dany, after killing the Night King, why not throw her into a plotline that doesn't involve her and have her end it, ugh.

That is the point though there was always a violent side fuelled by her sense of injustice tempered by her advisors. It’s shades of grey, flawed heroes, compassionate villains. It has never been a world of goodies and baddies but what Dany has done is an unquestionably evil act.

Also re: Varys the opening scenes, according to some, implied he was trying to poison Dany. “She’s still not eating”, “Keep trying” etc

Edited by Captain...

6 hours ago, FireFox said:

The point is all those people had either wronged her in some way or were her enemies. Not excusing her actions but she had enough reason.

The people of Kings Landing were completely innocent. And she’d always made a point of defending exactly those sorts of people from tyrants like Cersei. And they’d surrendered.

I’m boring myself arguing about it in all honesty, but it’s still shit/nonsensical writing for me. They made too big a leap making her do what she did imo

• Like 1