Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

23 hours ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Anyone going to watch Fallout?

One of the best, most atmospheric, haunting, and most involving games I've played. It also made me think about a post apocalyptic world even though it's a "game".  The sinister, yet almost expected normal world after the big event. It made me think about the survival of us and I never thought a video game would do that.

Even the music in game was just so... bang on.

I've watched the trailer and it looks very very good. I can feel the hairs on the back of my neck standing up. Forget Tomb Raider, this is way better.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 3

On 11/04/2024 at 20:05, Tommy Fresh said:

Anyone going to watch Fallout?

Watched 2 episodes last night with Mrs P. She was struggling to grasp it. I was explaining a few things to her, such as Stimpaks, as I knew the game.

I enjoyed it TBH, but it's a bit of a slow start trying to establish characters, their relationships, the plot, and the reasoning behind the storyline.

The game is much more directly into the struggles and challenges and the needs of the "Dwellers", as you would expect. Plus the game has no need to have individual relationships apart from the main character, and the reason she has to leave the vault. 

I will continue watching. Not sure about Mrs P.

Pretty much no life'd fallout with all my spare time.

Loved it. Can't wait for the next season.

After watching this, and to a lesser extent last of us, have to feel bad for the Halo fans. How on earth did they end up with something so shite. lol

12 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

After watching this, and to a lesser extent last of us, have to feel bad for the Halo fans. How on earth did they end up with something so shite

Still mad at that, how the directors could go so off canon is still baffling to me 

Watched the first episode of Fallout and by the end of it I thought it was a brilliant set up to what should be a decent run of episodes.

The weakest aspect of the first episode was definitely the start - I felt they could have done that better and more in tune with a Fallout 4 kind of setup.  I thought it was a little underwhelming at this point but as soon as we were introduced to vault 33, the likeness to the games was decent and there were plenty of little references done very well.  The mystery behind vault 32 was also interesting and was very much like one of those game missions where you visit abandoned vaults.

Will the budget stretch to CGI for a deathclaw?  lol

Managed to watch a fair bit of Fallout on the bus to and from Plymouth yesterday and then finished it off today

Really enjoyed it, definitely makes me want to get back into playing Fallout again and have just downloaded Fallout 3 on my PC, will give Fallout 4 another go when the next gen update comes out

• Like 1

Just now, Danizen said:

Some of the dialogue in Fallout is shocking. 

'Okie dokie' just before a sex scene is beyond cheesy.

You need to understand the context of the "dark" humour. It helps if you've played the game. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Been watching that show on ITVX about murder in the Mormon community with Andrew Garfield. 3 episodes in and I’m really enjoying it.

Yeah we watched this. hes a good actor.

Found the first couple of episodes hard work but got into it!

• Like 1

On 13/04/2024 at 22:59, moore_94 said:

Managed to watch a fair bit of Fallout on the bus to and from Plymouth yesterday and then finished it off today

Really enjoyed it, definitely makes me want to get back into playing Fallout again and have just downloaded Fallout 3 on my PC, will give Fallout 4 another go when the next gen update comes out

Fallout Britain (or whatever it’s called) is downloadable at the end of the month.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Fallout Britain (or whatever it’s called) is downloadable at the end of the month.

I think that has actually been put on hold a bit longer unfortunately, the next-gen update is expected to break it

The real Fallout games are 1, 2 and Wasteland 2 & 3. 

Fallout 3 is intensely average and 4 is the most Bethesda game of all time. 

New Vegas is decent because it was written by people that actually get it but I'm still not entirely sure it truly felt like Fallout. 

Edited by Finnegan

3 hours ago, moore_94 said:

I think that has actually been put on hold a bit longer unfortunately, the next-gen update is expected to break it

Just seen. Pfft. 

Bethesda. Bethesda never changes. 😂

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

The real Fallout games are 1, 2 and Wasteland 2 & 3. 

Fallout 3 is intensely average and 4 is the most Bethesda game of all time. 

New Vegas is decent because it was written by people that actually get it but I'm still not entirely sure it truly felt like Fallout. 

Just to point out to people who haven't played them I would class this as pretty controversial (in terms of Fallout 3 being average). It has the highest score of the lot on metacritic for example.

New Vegas is my favourite although I haven't played all of them. 

4 is shit.

6 minutes ago, bmt said:

It has the highest score of the lot on metacritic for example.

:rolleyes:

Plenty of extremely average things get fawned over disproportionately by the big media circle jerk, especially Bethesda vehicles. 

Fallout 3 represented a significant shift in the rpg genre, as Skyrim did after it. Superficially I can understand why it impressed at the time. 

But both suffer enormously from Bethesda syndrome. You end up awed by the scale and the immersion of the world itself and it's easy to get blinded by the fact the writing, performances, animation and game play are all enormously underwhelming. 

New Vegas remedied this a little as they surrendered the writing to Josh Sawyer and the Obsidian team (who a lot of old school CRPG fans wanted to Baldurs Gate 3 to be given to in the wake of Pillars of Eternity.) What came out was a game with a lot more depth, complexity and humanity to its story. 

Sawyer and the folk at Obsidian are of former Black Isle and Interplay stock, the company behind the origin Fallout franchise which itself was spawned by Interplay's Wasteland (hence why Wasteland 2 and 3 make better spiritual successors to the isometric Fallouts than Bethesda's smoke and mirrors show.)

FO3 & 4 impressed everyone by rendering a Fallout world you could walk around and explore in a full 3D environment and that alone won people over. But it's actual content is poor, the old Fallout games were marked by their story telling and writing, the new ones are marked by emptiness and wasted potential and are largely symptomatic of a games industry that's increasingly valued spectacle over substance (which is how we end up with ten thousand identical Bethesda and Ubisoft games.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

:rolleyes:

Plenty of extremely average things get fawned over disproportionately by the big media circle jerk, especially Bethesda vehicles. 

That's true but it's still controversial because of that. I agree with the rest of your post. The writing for the DLC Old World Blues on New Vegas is some of my favourite Fallout writing (although not everyone's cup of tea).