Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Why are some players loved and some hated?

I was just thinking about this reading the Beckford thread. I've no doubt that if he stayed here next season he would score 15-20 goals but if we sold him I wouldn't be too bothered. Bamba, on the other hand, for all his faults, I was disappointed when he left. Fryatt actually scored 30+ goals for us in the league 1 season but probably 60% of the fans did nothing but slate him.

This isn't about individual players but why are some players loved and some players despised?

My view on this is effort. Beckford has bucket loads of ability but just doesn't seem to use it. Fryatt you knew that there was a massive chance that he was going to mess it up so it was a shock when he actually scored. Bamba however had heart and passion. I know that it does sound cliched but look at big Stevie Walsh, Matty Elliot, Taggart, Izzet, Howard, Nugent, Schlupp and King. Not really aRooney of the world and will never be anything like Messi but they had their heart on their sleave.

If you're not the best but give your all, you'll be loved forever by us. That's all we've ever asked of our players. Or maybe it's all I ask.

THAT match against Arsenal where we drew 3-3 would you expect the same effort and passion from our players today to get a result like that now? I not too sure.

Three words for me: Foxes Never Quit.

I don't think despised is the right word. People think players are good or bad enough based on their own criteria, but I don't think anyone despises or even particularly dislikes Beckford. I think we can do better for a lot less money but that doesn't mean I hate him, in fact if he is playing for us next season I'll be supporting him 100% because I believe that if he has the right strike partner and does put his mind to it he can do very well for us, I just think there are better options currently. I think the only players that are really hated by their own fans are people like Dennis Wise, Wayne Brown etc. who really do deserve it. I think the main reason some players aren't backed as much as others is that fans dislike watching players who don't show the same effort and put the same enthusiasm into playing football that they would, doesn't mean people hate them :dunno:.

Gallagher doesn't always have a great game but I've never doubted that he tries. Some of the comments you hear at games about him seem hated filled. Some people seem to will him to fail so that they can criticize him some more.

Gallagher doesn't always have a great game but I've never doubted that he tries. Some of the comments you hear at games about him seem hated filled. Some people seem to will him to fail so that they can criticize him some more.

Gallagher seems a bit flash on the pitch at times, but he appears a decent bloke who does try his best and crops up with a very healthy amount of goals and assists.

Effort, in this case, doesn't seem to win the fans support.

I had an interesting conversation along these lines recently about Nugent and Beckford. Both scored 15 goals, yet Nuge is almost unanimously loved, while there seems to be a sizeable anti Beckford brigade. I know goals is only one measure of a strikers performance, but I bet their assists are also similar.

The only major difference is how each comes across. Now I'm a big fan of Beckford, but he can come across as lazy (although I believe the stats don't bear it out). On the other hand, the same can't be said of Nuge. Passion, or how its transferred to the pitch in terms of body language clearly counts for a lot.

On another note, I'm thought Nuge and Becks looked unplayabe at times last season, so let's hope they continue to develop their partnership...

Wasn't disappointed to see Bamba go, he was a liability waiting to happen. Alot of what he did was out of luck rather than judgement, he had alot of luck.

As to why are some players loved and some hated - Obviously every player isn't going to have a great game every game, players go through bad spells, but all I say is they must be doing something wrong, on a regular basis if the same players are being slagged of by alot of people - that is when they become hated, however and i'll go back a few years to use an example - Hume, he wasn't bad but he wasn't brilliant, he was the best of a bad bunch, yet because he ran about chasing lost causes and showed 'passion' he was loved, he could do no wrong, he was cheered for more than some of our own players when he came back to play against us - Cringeworthy.

Effort for me, I used to play football at college and I was easily the shittest one there (always last picked, and then they'd fight over me so I wasn't in there team), but even though I was so shit, all I used to do was chase around and close players down and gave 100%. If all players gave all the energy they had and still lost I'd happily clap them off at the end of the game. But at times last season some players looked uninterested. BTW this is why I love steve howard, yes he was slow and fairly shit he still gave a 100%.

As to why are some players loved and some hated - Obviously every player isn't going to have a great game every game, players go through bad spells, but all I say is they must be doing something wrong, on a regular basis if the same players are being slagged of by alot of people - that is when they become hated,

A lot of the time it's a bandwagon that people follow.

Once you have a lot of people against you your faults and every mistake you make is analysed and criticised to a greater extent than those who are generally liked.

Poor results and too high expectations. People look for somewhere to point the finger of blame and when it's not going well more people latch on to it. Faults are pointed out, exaggerated and then becomes bullshit that people start to believe.

My view on this is effort. Beckford has bucket loads of ability but just doesn't seem to use it. Fryatt you knew that there was a massive chance that he was going to mess it up so it was a shock when he actually scored. Bamba however had heart and passion. I know that it does sound cliched but look at big Stevie Walsh, Matty Elliot, Taggart, Izzet, Howard, Nugent, Schlupp and King. Not really aRooney of the world and will never be anything like Messi but they had their heart on their sleave.

If you're not the best but give your all, you'll be loved forever by us. That's all we've ever asked of our players. Or maybe it's all I ask.

THAT match against Arsenal where we drew 3-3 would you expect the same effort and passion from our players today to get a result like that now? I not too sure.

Three words for me: Foxes Never Quit.

This is true apart from when a player is absolutely shite. Then they don't get much love

Guest ttfn

I had an interesting conversation along these lines recently about Nugent and Beckford. Both scored 15 goals, yet Nuge is almost unanimously loved, while there seems to be a sizeable anti Beckford brigade. I know goals is only one measure of a strikers performance, but I bet their assists are also similar.

The only major difference is how each comes across. Now I'm a big fan of Beckford, but he can come across as lazy (although I believe the stats don't bear it out). On the other hand, the same can't be said of Nuge. Passion, or how its transferred to the pitch in terms of body language clearly counts for a lot.

On another note, I'm thought Nuge and Becks looked unplayabe at times last season, so let's hope they continue to develop their partnership...

Firstly, Nugent scored more goals than Beckford, so your first paragraph is factually inaccurate.

These "stats" that show that Beckford is a hard worker have never actually been seen by anybody on here. It was Beckford himself who claimed that this was the case.

Nugent and Beckford never looked unplayable last season. If anything, their partnership was even less fruitful towards the end of the season, when neither was scoring, than it was earlier in the season when at least Nugent was scoring.

...why are some players loved and some players despised?

Because vast swathes of this forum, RL listeners, Merc readers and supporters at the ground are stupendous cretins who I'd not trust to open a tin can without breaking a leg and swallowing broken glass.

I liked bamba becasue he was a clean player, always seemed delighted to play and offered entertainment in his unpredictable style of play.

Konchesky i dislike for the same reasons, often fouling, lacks technical ability and is just as likely to start moaning at his own fans.

Because vast swathes of this forum, RL listeners, Merc readers and supporters at the ground are stupendous cretins who I'd not trust to open a tin can without breaking a leg and swallowing broken glass.

come on Dave, stop sitting on the fence and tell us how you feel

I love players that run around like lunatics with no end product... Actually I don't I'm being sarcastic.

Give me a footballer (Gary Parker/Muzzy Izzet) over a marathon runner (Paul Dickov/Ian Hulme) any day... End product over effort!

If you were a player I'd love you. :wub:

Fryatt was adored here, we made him the player he is, I don't know where the 60% came from.

I felt for all the kids who looked up to him when he buggered off the Hull, even more so when he strolled past the kop with his finger to his lip after he scored that time.

Felt like a dagger through the heart :(

Archived