Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sol thewall Bamba

Trouble in Lincoln? Probably Not!

I get pissed off when Sainsbury's don't have something I want in stock. It doesn't mean I go and trash the place. It's called self-control.

I can imagine the place would be levelled if they were out of chocolate and red wine.

Maybe those criticising our fans will have second thoughts next time and maybe actually wait to see if its true before mouthing off.

lol 7 pages of debate, diatribe and drivel about something that never happened!

Lets be honest, it was a preseason friendly between Leicester and Lincoln. No rivalry as far as im aware, not even nearly in the same league. I doubt anyone thought for a second that a full public order unit would be required for such an small time annonymous game. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I dont think the police can be blamed for not anticipating that their might be trouble of any kind at this match.

Unfortunately whats done is done. Roll on the new season!!!!

If they did have a tip-off, surely it would arrive more than 21 hours before the scheduled kick-off?

I doubt people who want to fight arrange it the day before.

http://www.thisislin...tail/story.html

A Lincolnshire Police spokesperson said: "We are aware there has been a bit of a rumour that there has been some trouble surrounding the football match that was cancelled but that is not the case.

"We did have some fans come into Lincoln not aware the match was cancelled and we have had a significant police presence.

"However, both opposing fans have been cooperative and there have been no arrests or incidents of disorder."

Lincoln City and Leicester City fans came face-to-face at Lincoln Central train station at around 6:30pm but a clash was avoided with police on hand.

The Leicester City fans left via train shortly afterwards.

The pre-season friendly match was cancelled after Lincolnshire Police raised concerns about public safety.

So there was a "significant" police presence anyway! It might just as well have been at the football match as the station. And reference to "no incidents of disorder" and nothing but "co-operative fans" suggesting that a lot of people have been inconvenienced and have finished out of pocket for no justifiable reason than nannying over-reaction to rumour.

From a Lincoln forum:

He (Imps CEO Steve Prescott) also said this earlier....

Steve ?@CEOIMP

@fudge_imp This game was cancelled by planned violence organised by a large no of Lincoln Hooligans, many of whom claim to support the Imps.

Would these be the same Lincoln lads who were "nothing but co-operative" at the railway station? Perhaps they were surprised to see any police officers. Or they were suddenly been overcome by a feeling of brotherly bonhomie.

I wonder now if the Sunderland friendly will go ahead or whether it'll be called off at the 11th hour because of police concerns about fans getting frustrated trying to negotiate the road diversions in Leicester City centre... :rolleyes:

I also find this annoying

The late nature of the game's reshuffle made opening the doors to the Blue Army impossible due to the stadium's safety regulations

Is it really so difficult and complicated to put on last minute game of footy, we're overwhelmed by Safety regulations, it's not as if they haven't held football matches at the KP stadium before.

If they'd have made it free entry they wouldn't need turnstile operators or office staff to sell tickets.

Spontaneity is being sucked out of life.

They would still need people to operate the turnstiles, as well as stewards and police, which wouldn't have been easily arranged at such short notice.

You wouldn't need turnstiles just open the gate?

did you really just suggest that?

Well it was all a tad tongue in cheek but it is annoying that safety requirements prevent spontaneous events after all we used to have FA Cup replays a few days after the drawn game now no longer possible because of safety requirements, I just find it perplexing having been down the City with 35K+ crowds with hardly a policeman or steward in sight, you just turned up cash on entry and boom game on.

I believe at the very least we deserve a fuller explanation of this 'threat'. If the police are doing this to protect the public and I presume that means the law abiding fans as well I would like to know what I'm being protected from.

For example was it some idiot posting something stupid on facebook/twitter, like the Robin Hood airport bomb threat in an attempt to be funny which was massively over reacted too or did it involve information on known troublemakers and are they historically associated with LCFC?

Hello all. Posh fan here, just having a scout around as I'm getting a bit impatient for the 18th and I saw this thread.

I played football this morning with a member of Lincs police and he told me the following - I repeat it as told but have no idea how accurate it is, other than I can be sure he'd have had no reason to mislead. :)

Apparently a 'leading' member of Leicester's hooligans has just passed away. How recently I'm not sure. As the first suitable game since the event, I understand the hooligans were out in force in 'tribute'. While Lincoln are tinpot, they have quite a large group of hooligans and it can be a very rough place to go.

The Leicester hooligans did still turn up on the train and were met at the station by the police who refused to let them off the train (it would terminate there and return to Leicester). There were, apparently, a significant number of Lincoln hooligans waiting for them.

As the train restarted, the Leicester fans assaulted the train guard and the driver and they stopped the train and refused to move until the police boarded (hence the picture). Over 20 Lincolnshire police (who were already well into their overtime) accompanied the train as far as Nottingham (no idea if Notts or Leics police took over then).

Anyway, there you go. Take it with as much salt as you like and I'll look forward to seeing you for a much more peaceful day on the 18th.

Hello all. Posh fan here, just having a scout around as I'm getting a bit impatient for the 18th and I saw this thread.

I played football this morning with a member of Lincs police and he told me the following - I repeat it as told but have no idea how accurate it is, other than I can be sure he'd have had no reason to mislead. :)

Apparently a 'leading' member of Leicester's hooligans has just passed away. How recently I'm not sure. As the first suitable game since the event, I understand the hooligans were out in force in 'tribute'. While Lincoln are tinpot, they have quite a large group of hooligans and it can be a very rough place to go.

The Leicester hooligans did still turn up on the train and were met at the station by the police who refused to let them off the train (it would terminate there and return to Leicester). There were, apparently, a significant number of Lincoln hooligans waiting for them.

As the train restarted, the Leicester fans assaulted the train guard and the driver and they stopped the train and refused to move until the police boarded (hence the picture). Over 20 Lincolnshire police (who were already well into their overtime) accompanied the train as far as Nottingham (no idea if Notts or Leics police took over then).

Anyway, there you go. Take it with as much salt as you like and I'll look forward to seeing you for a much more peaceful day on the 18th.

Thats makes more sense. I never knew Leicester had Hooligans tbh. They should get a ****ing grip on their lives.

One of BS/ex BS did die (not sure if that was a reason for them turning up). BS did turn up, train trashed - Police averted a meet.

So there was a "significant" police presence anyway! It might just as well have been at the football match as the station. And reference to "no incidents of disorder" and nothing but "co-operative fans" suggesting that a lot of people have been inconvenienced and have finished out of pocket for no justifiable reason than nannying over-reaction to rumour.

Not so Thracian, there was good reason.

Archived