Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Interesting news topics.

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

Just stuck my surname in (Irish name, not that common) - and surprised to get 76 hits, though I'm pretty sure no close relatives died in WW1.

Two of my English great-uncles served but survived. One was shot in the buttocks, apparently. The poor bugger was then a Japanese POW in WW2 (weighing 6st by the end)....but lived to 90.

Gump?

On 22.10.2016 г. at 18:43, Webbo said:

If you have an ancestor who died in WW1 or just want to check your surname to see if there any possible ancestors.

Everyman remembered.

Thanks for sharing.

Only two with my surname. They seem to be from the same family in Essex.

On a related theme I visited a fascinating exhibition on Saturday by a photographer tracing war remains along the Italian front, a series of battles in the Alps in WW1. Absolute insanity.

http://www.nationalgeographic.it/wallpaper/2016/05/03/foto/guerra_bianca_mostra_trento-3070581/4/#media

1 hour ago, bovril said:

Thanks for sharing.

Only two with my surname. They seem to be from the same family in Essex.

I'm not surprised really. I would imagine Bovril is quite a rare surname 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Well at least they're giving it some thought. Depressing admissions from some of the people interviewed as to how they'd react to a driverless car:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/oct/30/volvo-self-driving-car-autonomous

Also quite worrying that - and I'm inferring a bit here - the cars are basically instructed to plow through multiple pedestrians if it's necessary to prevent the death of a lone passenger.

5 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Also quite worrying that - and I'm inferring a bit here - the cars are basically instructed to plow through multiple pedestrians if it's necessary to prevent the death of a lone passenger.

There'll probably be a few things coming up like that until legislation catches up and then.  I assume it's far easier from a technological perspective for the car to look out for its occupants rather than prioritise the safety of others which would be a lot more complicated.

I was driving around Birmingham yesterday and given that it was a Sunday and nowhere near as busy as it might have been, frankly I'd have loved the car to have taken over because driving just seems to be becoming more an more of an effort

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/nov/11/missing-schoolboy-arthur-heeeler-frood-read-orwells-down-and-out-in-paris-and-london-before-disappearing

Always been really fascinated by people who just disappear. Hope he's safe and gets in contact though. 

This would make a good film though hopefully not "Into The Wild"

9 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/nov/11/missing-schoolboy-arthur-heeeler-frood-read-orwells-down-and-out-in-paris-and-london-before-disappearing

Always been really fascinated by people who just disappear. Hope he's safe and gets in contact though. 

This would make a good film though hopefully not "Into The Wild"

Sounds like a latter-day Patrick Leigh Fermour. Good for him. 

• 3 weeks later...

Is this the first written mention of Jesus? 2,000-year-old lead tablets found in a remote cave ARE genuine, claim researchers

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3985150/Is-written-mention-Jesus-2-000-year-old-lead-tablets-remote-cave-genuine-claim-researchers.html#ixzz4RVznqBI0

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Is this the first written mention of Jesus? 2,000-year-old lead tablets found in a remote cave ARE genuine, claim researchers

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3985150/Is-written-mention-Jesus-2-000-year-old-lead-tablets-remote-cave-genuine-claim-researchers.html#ixzz4RVznqBI0

Interesting stuff. Despite being an atheist, I've always liked the sound of old Jesu. It's his old man I've got a problem with.

Feminist Christians who've bigged up Mary Magdalen over the years will be ecstatic at the idea of Christ following a male/female God with the Holy Spirit as his/her feminine side etc.

24 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Interesting stuff. Despite being an atheist, I've always liked the sound of old Jesu. It's his old man I've got a problem with.

Feminist Christians who've bigged up Mary Magdalen over the years will be ecstatic at the idea of Christ following a male/female God with the Holy Spirit as his/her feminine side etc.

like a great many things I feel Tony Benn summed Jesus up well

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I'm not a believer myself but it is interesting.