Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Spudulike

"You wish you were English"

Every club has it's knuckle-draggers. They've got theirs & we've got ours.......too stupid to know any better & too stupid to change

100% agree - cant tar every fan of a club with the same brush and the OP's link to the Brizzle comments board shows this

Can't be arsed to quote it but who ever said calling someone a "Welsh willy puller" is racist needs to go back to school. Being Welsh is not a race.

You're missing the point somewhat methinks. Bigotry by any other name...

You're missing the point somewhat methinks. Bigotry by any other name...

I just don't see where you draw the line in football? Abuse is abuse. A linesman doesn't like being called a flag wagging twat by fans any more than Anton Ferdinand liked being called "a black b*stard" by John Terry. Technically it's all abuse and you could argue it shouldn't happen but it does. I'm not one to judge but there is always going to be something that offends someone, again where do you draw the line?

I just don't see where you draw the line in football? Abuse is abuse. A linesman doesn't like being called a flag wagging twat by fans any more than Anton Ferdinand liked being called "a black b*stard" by John Terry. Technically it's all abuse and you could argue it shouldn't happen but it does. I'm not one to judge but there is always going to be something that offends someone, again where do you draw the line?

A bit of a tangent from your initial point about incorrect use of the word racist, but a fair point. Ideally the line would be drawn at any abuse.

That said, just because other forms of abuse seem to be 'tolerated', it in no way justifies racism/xenophobia/nationalism/whatever you want to call it.

Can't be arsed to quote it but who ever said calling someone a "Welsh willy puller" is racist needs to go back to school. Being Welsh is not a race.

And here was me hoping the 23 years I've done were enough!

Being Welsh is not a race, being Celtic is. That's different from being English, ergo using Welsh as an insult is racism. Calling someone a "Thai ****" is still racist despite Thai not being classed as a race. And to be honest, if you are nitpicking about whether or not someone is of a different "race", a term itself that smacks of late 19th Century skull measuring, you have pretty much come down on the wrong side of the argument.

'You're just a small town in Wales' isn't racist. That's just a chant used all over the country to slag off a team compared to their close rivals. It could be used for Forest - 'you're just a small town in Derby', for Man United - 'just a small town in Leeds'., for Cardiff - 'you're just a small town in Swansea'... It's not saying anything derogatory about Wales at all.

If we were calling them Welsh ***** or something, that would be racist. But the 'small town in...' Isn't racist at all.

Being Welsh is not a race, being Celtic is. That's different from being English, ergo using Welsh as an insult is racism. Calling someone a "Thai ****" is still racist despite Thai not being classed as a race. And to be honest, if you are nitpicking about whether or not someone is of a different "race", a term itself that smacks of late 19th Century skull measuring, you have pretty much come down on the wrong side of the argument.

You're wrong. There are four basic races in humankind Caucasoid, Mongoloid, Negroid, and Australoid. In modern day Wales traces of these four races live in the country. A Caucasoid calling another Caucasoid, a "Welsh willy puller" is not racist its national prejudice. May sound pedantic but seeing as you love to chuck accusations at people you may as well be factually correct when you do it.

Yes it is, and the fact that you don't recognise it as such is proof that you are an idiot. I'm Welsh, and you seem to think that calling people that is an insult, so you are clearly racist. The fact that you don't see it as an issue just shows you up for the cretin that you are. Probably think nothing of calling people gypos either.

lol Oh my days.

Damn right I think nothing of saying 'gypos' The pikey cnuts don't give a **** when they're doing someones drive, or evading road tax. Yes I'm being stereotypical which will play into your hands when you start to defend these pillars of our community

Ok right so now your argument is that you are a different race because you are Celtic? So since I'm Cornish which is Celtic too then what you are saying is I'm racist against my own race? What you are argueing is the biggest load of tripe I've ever come across in 4 years of Foxestalk.

'You're just a small town in Wales' isn't racist. That's just a chant used all over the country to slag off a team compared to their close rivals. It could be used for Forest - 'you're just a small town in Derby', for Man United - 'just a small town in Leeds'., for Cardiff - 'you're just a small town in Swansea'... It's not saying anything derogatory about Wales at all.

If we were calling them Welsh ***** or something, that would be racist. But the 'small town in...' Isn't racist at all.

ahh yes, that well known club football team, Wales United?

We play Bristol City every year. I agree these chants are pretty unnecessary but I'm not sure we need a bi-annual thread crying about it, do we?

If you're offended, write to the club, the FA or the police. These threads every time we play Bristol, Forest, Leeds or whoever else are getting a bit tiresome now.

I generally see the banter about the Welsh as being mainly humorous and not motivated by hatred - Just like most of the other semi-abusive chants that can be heard at football matches. Wales is generally viewed as a poorer part of the UK, just as some parts of London are, so it's acceptable to be offensive to their part of the world - I'd cite how readily people on here, including myself, attacked Millwall for being "******" or "knuckle-draggers" because they live in a deprived area.

However, when other fans attack our city for it's cultural diversity it's impossible for me to see how that can be intended as "banter" as other fans are then conveying the message that other races are somehow inferior.

I generally see the banter about the Welsh as being mainly humorous and not motivated by hatred - Just like most of the other semi-abusive chants that can be heard at football matches. Wales is generally viewed as a poorer part of the UK, just as some parts of London are, so it's acceptable to be offensive to their part of the world - I'd cite how readily people on here, including myself, attacked Millwall for being "******" or "knuckle-draggers" because they live in a deprived area.

However, when other fans attack our city for it's cultural diversity it's impossible for me to see how that can be intended as "banter" as other fans are then conveying the message that other races are somehow inferior.

If I'm honest, that has far more to do with the bigoted and retarded views you see expressed by their fans on forums, Twitter and indeed at football matches.

Can't agree with this. They have been guilty of racist chanting every time we have played at Ashton Gate in the last few seasons, and let's be honest we haven't had a great record there so it's hardly like they fall back on these chants if they're taking a hammering. There was also racist chanting before kick off yesterday.

Also, their fans were much better than ours yesterday in my opinion (racist chanting aside, obviously). Best home fans in terms of volume this season by a long way.

This all over. Don't get this myth that our fans were so good yesterday either. I'll get accused of moaning again but I thought we were bang average and that is at best.

Leicester's hardly St Tropez is it though?

Archived