Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Spudulike

"You wish you were English"

'This is why I have so much more respect for Bristol Rovers than Bristol City. Welsh wankers'

you have more respect for bristol rovers because you didn't hear there fans sing racist abuse?? well it would make sense as their in division 2 and we havent played them in donkey years..

then you finish it off with the intelligent...welsh wankers, which wouldn't bring you down to the level of what bristol fans sang at all....

ps - you wouldnt have respect for rovers if you realised who their manager was!!

I'm sure we had alleged racist abuse at Bristol Rovers in 2009.

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/Rovers-fans-racist-chants/story-12059066-detail/story.html

If I'm honest, that has far more to do with the bigoted and retarded views you see expressed by their fans on forums, Twitter and indeed at football matches.

You're probably right actually, perhaps the comparison of Wales and Millwall isn't such a great one. None the less I still feel Welsh fans get abused because their country is regarded as a bit of a dump and that their also tends to be a fair number of idiots in the Cardiff end. I don't think it's down to hatred for Welsh people, more or an underlying annoyance.

Leicester's hardly St Tropez is it though?

Agreed, but it's significantly better than certain parts of London. I don't think people care much about how bad wherever they live is as long as there's a gap between their area of residence and that of another club's fans. In all honesty no-one really cares about the specifics when they make up an abusive chant, anything that can be insulted will most definitely be insulted.

I generally see the banter about the Welsh as being mainly humorous and not motivated by hatred - Just like most of the other semi-abusive chants that can be heard at football matches. Wales is generally viewed as a poorer part of the UK, just as some parts of London are, so it's acceptable to be offensive to their part of the world - I'd cite how readily people on here, including myself, attacked Millwall for being "******" or "knuckle-draggers" because they live in a deprived area.

However, when other fans attack our city for it's cultural diversity it's impossible for me to see how that can be intended as "banter" as other fans are then conveying the message that other races are somehow inferior.

Charlton and Crystal Palace both have Championship teams and they're a stones throw away from Millwall and the areas are very similar, yet neither of these clubs have anything like the same reputation. It's not because tey live in a deprived area, it's the racist chanting, monkey noises made at players like Sordell, the bile and hatred posted on their forums when Wood decided to join us... I'm sure its just a minority, but I can certainly understand why a section of their fans are widely criticised.

I did hear it over Radio Leicester. But if you're going to sing something like 'small town in Wales' then I'd expect it back. I've always thought this. But we don't need another double-figure thread on stuff like this, soon it will get to a point where you can't sing 'you fat *******' or anything like that (like clubs do), because technically that is discriminating someone.

Charlton and Crystal Palace both have Championship teams and they're a stones throw away from Millwall and the areas are very similar, yet neither of these clubs have anything like the same reputation. It's not because tey live in a deprived area, it's the racist chanting, monkey noises made at players like Sordell, the bile and hatred posted on their forums when Wood decided to join us... I'm sure its just a minority, but I can certainly understand why a section of their fans are widely criticised.

I take your point, I've come to realise that my comparison with Millwall wasn't such a good one, they do have other reasons for getting the stick they do and rightly so. But I'm not all that bothered about why some clubs get more abuse that others, I only care about whether the abuse that gets dished out is acceptable or whether it should be frowned upon.

All I'm saying is the chants that Welsh fans have directed at them are acceptable because they aren't an insulting a particular race or culture - They're aimed at mocking the geographical area in which Cardiff fans live in.

I take your point, I've come to realise that my comparison with Millwall wasn't such a good one, they do have other reasons for getting the stick they do and rightly so. But I'm not all that bothered about why some clubs get more abuse that others, I only care about whether the abuse that gets dished out is acceptable or whether it should be frowned upon.

All I'm saying is the chants that Welsh fans have directed at them are acceptable because they aren't an insulting a particular race or culture - They're aimed at mocking the geographical area in which Cardiff fans live in.

Not to mention they should not even be in the English league. If Wales is so special have your own poxy league. that way either Cardiff/ Swansea could be like it was in Scotish football and take it in turns to be champions . :thumbup:

Just a thought, a crazy one I know, but why doesn't everyone chant in support of their players and their club, rather than get sucked into a 'who can be more offensive?' battle with the opposition fans?

I don't know about you but I've never seen a 10+ page thread about 'singing the blues'. Maybe people just love a cry and a moan when they hear something that oversteps the 'banter' mark. Whatever that is. Banter needs to fvck off. Boring, witless shit.

My personal opinion is that if you can hear the opposition fans, you aren't doing your job properly.

In sum, if you ignore the morons the other side of the segregation, they'll probably stop. If they don't, well, it just confirms everyone's suspicions in that they are, in fact, thick as pigshit.

To be fair, it says a lot about Bristol and their city football club when the greatest thing to come out of their town since Portishead, Tricky et al. is a chant about Leicester as a place with an (alleged) English minority.

They have bigger construction sites to work on than that.

Regarding "banter": To me, it involves a creative element and, of course, an entertaining undertone. Too much "banter" these days is just repetitive mongoloid chanting, calling other by derogatory terms, and it is neither subversive, clever nor funny.

Not to mention they should not even be in the English league. If Wales is so special have your own poxy league. that way either Cardiff/ Swansea could be like it was in Scotish football and take it in turns to be champions . :thumbup:

I suppose you could say that both Cardiff and Swansea should be in the Welsh League but the standard is so bad. Wrexham and Newport County are both Welsh and are in the Conference, now think of how ridiculous that league would be. I wouldn't want to take part in it because it would be total sh*t - just like Scottish football but much, much worse.

I personally think it's fine for Cardiff and Swansea to be in the English Leagues, they're part of the UK anyway.

some people on here jesus. im fact leicester did used to be english, now the english are a minority.

yes they sing it to take the piss. fact is though they are right. I dont go into the town centre for any reason as a result of this. seeing burkahed up woman spitting everywhere. erm no thanks, not for me.

if anyone thinks leicester is a multicultural heaven then i'd think again. No one has the balls to say it for the fear of being racist.

some people on here jesus. im fact leicester did used to be english, now the english are a minority.

yes they sing it to take the piss. fact is though they are right. I dont go into the town centre for any reason as a result of this. seeing burkahed up woman spitting everywhere. erm no thanks, not for me.

if anyone thinks leicester is a multicultural heaven then i'd think again. No one has the balls to say it for the fear of being racist.

What a load of racist bollocks. If you don't like it hyere in Leicester, why don't you **** off somewhere else?

I'm well shot of the town centre pal. My grandparents had to move and they lived there all there lives so shut up you muppet.

What evidence is there that Leicester isn't english anymore?

You don't go into town because you see women in burkas? How old are you? And how does women clothing stop you going into town?

Archived