Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Club statement re the Middlesboro game

IIRC the Arsenal decision, and decisions like the ones flowwolf are describing, are made with respect to decisions made by, and consultation with, the police. When the club says, “While we appreciate that, very regrettably, the adverse weather made it difficult for a significant number of supporters to attend the game, only the match officials, the city’s Safety Advisory Group or the police can initiate a postponement. Once both playing squads, the match officials and essential stadium staff had arrived and the requisite conditions had been deemed fit for play, there were no grounds on which the match officials or relevant agencies would take such action," do you not believe them?

If the police say a game cannot be played as scheduled, the game is postponed and that is that. Leicester City have changed kickoff times (and have had kickoff times changed on them) in the past due to police advice before. The police could have done the same thing here, but nothing indicates that they did anything of the sort, so they club continued to prepare for the game.

Whether all of these decisions were made because every decision-maker is in Sky's pocket is another story, though perhaps one for the conspiracy theorists. I do believe the club would have at least made the pitch playable even if this weren't a Sky game, as they are blessed with good equipment and a great groundskeeper. You'll have to ask the police and health & safety advisors about the rest.

Ah the official line always a good one to hide behind. That does not make it true. Shall we have a poll on this one ?

I was there 120mile round trip just took my time getting there 3hours infact!

Did you go straight from work ?

Whilst im glad we won on friday, i am so ****ed off i couldnt get there! I can't remember the last time i missed a league match.

As has been said before be others getting home from work was the first problem having left London 1pm managed to get up the M1 slowly only to find the way back to Ashby in total gridlock. The opposite way to Leicester was stationary also.

Got home 6.15pm to hear on radio Leicester that people had been stuck from NW Leics towards Leicester for Hours. So in my situation how could I have left earlier as people have been saying? Fair play to the ground staff who did a great job to get the game on.

I thought this from last years cancelled Derby V Forest match was interesting though " our fans come first at Derby County we wouldn't want anyone to miss the match ". Not sure if LCFC think the same.......

DERBY County's Championship match against Nottingham Forest has been postponed due to the bad weather.

The fixture, due to take place at Pride Park Stadium today (Sunday 5th Feb 12.15pm), was called off on safety grounds following heavy snow overnight.

Although the pitch would have been playable, there were concerns about fans getting to and from the ground, so following discussions with the match officials, the local police, the Football League and Forest, the decision was taken to postpone the game.

Rams chief executive Tom Glick said: "Every effort has been made to get this game on and we've had staff working around the clock giving their all for the cause but unfortunately the decision has been made to call the game off.

"The pitch is fine and the inside of the stadium is safe and dry. However, the roads throughout the city and county are unsafe.

"This is the biggest match of the year for our supporters and we wouldn't want anyone to miss it because they had difficulty getting to Pride Park Stadium.

"Our fans come first at Derby County and we have made this decision in the interests of our fans."

A new date for the fixture will be announced in due course.

Whilst im glad we won on friday, i am so ****ed off i couldnt get there! I can't remember the last time i missed a league match.

As has been said before be others getting home from work was the first problem having left London 1pm managed to get up the M1 slowly only to find the way back to Ashby in total gridlock. The opposite way to Leicester was stationary also.

Got home 6.15pm to hear on radio Leicester that people had been stuck from NW Leics towards Leicester for Hours. So in my situation how could I have left earlier as people have been saying? Fair play to the ground staff who did a great job to get the game on.

I thought this from last years cancelled Derby V Forest match was interesting though " our fans come first at Derby County we wouldn't want anyone to miss the match ". Not sure if LCFC think the same.......

DERBY County's Championship match against Nottingham Forest has been postponed due to the bad weather.

The fixture, due to take place at Pride Park Stadium today (Sunday 5th Feb 12.15pm), was called off on safety grounds following heavy snow overnight.

Although the pitch would have been playable, there were concerns about fans getting to and from the ground, so following discussions with the match officials, the local police, the Football League and Forest, the decision was taken to postpone the game.

Rams chief executive Tom Glick said: "Every effort has been made to get this game on and we've had staff working around the clock giving their all for the cause but unfortunately the decision has been made to call the game off.

"The pitch is fine and the inside of the stadium is safe and dry. However, the roads throughout the city and county are unsafe.

"This is the biggest match of the year for our supporters and we wouldn't want anyone to miss it because they had difficulty getting to Pride Park Stadium.

"Our fans come first at Derby County and we have made this decision in the interests of our fans."

A new date for the fixture will be announced in due course.

exactly the decision that should have been made on Friday for the fans! However from a football perspective everything worked out fantastically well and there is no doubt the stadium and pitch were fine! Unfortunately the fans did not come first and I stress again the end result I am delighted with :chant:

I live in Wigston how long do you thing that would have taken me to walk in the snow and then walk back again ? nothing to do with outside the city.

It takes me an hour and a half to walk from Countesthorpe to the stadium, I would imagine taking into account the snow it would have been the same from Wigston Friday night. In fact I would have got there 15 minutes quicker if I did walk. However that takes into account a walk a lot and I am quite fit or an old git.

exactly the decision that should have been made on Friday for the fans! However from a football perspective everything worked out fantastically well and there is no doubt the stadium and pitch were fine! Unfortunately the fans did not come first and I stress again the end result I am delighted with :chant:

Yes I agree. Although VERY!!! frustrated at not being at the match the result was the most important thing.

Potentially this situation could happen again for the wolves game.Presumably given the clubs stance the game would be on again .Wouldnt rush to buy your tickets wait till the day of game and check the weather forcast carefully,if it looks like snow save your cash .

The club or police whoever was responsible for crowd safety outside ground made a mistake a big one allowing 1000s of fans to head for the city in such weather was madness and the fact nobody died was more luck than judgement.

I walked to the game wouldnt have wanted to be in a car and certainly wouldnt have took my son with me .Not sure how much you get for being on sky,but think the club should use the money to compensate the fans who quite rightly stayed at home.

What planet are you and all the other moaners on? 16 pages of drivel.

I bet like the rest that say 'I wouldn't take my son, daughter' you were happily sledging and snowballing in it yesterday and maybe today.

Or do you wrap your child in cotton wool and keep them indoors until the temperature reaches 22 degrees?

The game was on, pavements, roads were clear, the ground was clear. 8500 fans didn't all slip over and bang their head and are now in intensive care. So no one died and it wasn't more luck than judgement it was ordinary folks going about their business in a bit of snow.

A head teacher on the news tonight summed up all this shite elf and safety we have now, he said his school was open as usual as the kids had all been out in it all weekend so therefore they can get into school.

Get over it and move on.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

So if he did not have to work like the rest of us he bloody well should have had time to get there. my point was most people had to work on a Friday they then had to try to get home and then tried to get down too the match. All in conditions we have already been over. Bringing up some person who got to the ground from Hampshire and comparing that to all the people who had actually been to work first was ludicrous in the extreme.

Guffaw and double guffaw!! Bloody locals, get over it mi ducks!!

Ah the official line always a good one to hide behind. That does not make it true. Shall we have a poll on this one ?

So, are you accusing Leicester City of lying or not? Because if you are, the Football League disagrees with you.

Also, are you well-versed in scientific opinion polling methodology? I presume you aren't (to be fair, not many are) so I suggest you save yourself the trouble and save FoxesTalk the bandwidth.

I think most people are overlooking the main thing. We won obviously, and have done ourselves a huge favour by in not starting a fixture pile up. Thats the most important factor

Personally I think that was their main consideration, above any of the "it was for sky" stuff.

I bet like the rest that say 'I wouldn't take my son, daughter' you were happily sledging and snowballing in it yesterday and maybe today.

Or do you wrap your child in cotton wool and keep them indoors until the temperature reaches 22 degrees?

The game was on, pavements, roads were clear, the ground was clear. 8500 fans didn't all slip over and bang their head and are now in intensive care. So no one died and it wasn't more luck than judgement it was ordinary folks going about their business in a bit of snow.

A head teacher on the news tonight summed up all this shite elf and safety we have now, he said his school was open as usual as the kids had all been out in it all weekend so therefore they can get into school.

Get over it and move on.

Thank f*** a normal person

True... But you'd think it was a nice gesture and good PR if they did give you a small token though wouldn't you?

You getting dizzy going round in circles explaining.

I agree,when you consider how much our wage bill is a week ,and these are wages our owners have agreed to ,a few pies and pints will not break the bank.Now i work in the packaging industry in sales and design and i know for a fact that when a supermarket gives a buy 1 get 1 free offer the supplier pays for most ( but I'm quids in for packaging),im sure a deal was struck.probably cost them 4 k maxSky money was received,which normally wouldn't ,so still quids in.

What interests me most in this affair is - how the heck did the Middlesboro lot manage to get to the game that night?

Because they probably had a half day or full day off and left out dressed for football, where as most people in Leicester were at work. Then I'm sure some came on the train.

It takes me an hour and a half to walk from Countesthorpe to the stadium, I would imagine taking into account the snow it would have been the same from Wigston Friday night. In fact I would have got there 15 minutes quicker if I did walk. However that takes into account a walk a lot and I am quite fit or an old git.

Well considering I did not finish work untill 5.30 and did not manage to get home until 8.30 you can appreciate my decision not to walk to the ground and arrive about 9.30 then.

Get over it and move on.

It must be a loverly world where every thing is in Black and White I envy you. :rolleyes:

They knew plenty well that the roads and motorways were treacherous, but Leicester City Football Club is not responsible for ploughing streets and making them safe for driving, nor are they allowed to postpone a game themselves because of this.

But they do have a responsibilty to take ALL factors into account not cherry pick the factors that suit them. They clearly ignored the fact that was obvious to everyone else that there were lots of fans who were not going to be able to make it to the ground.

What about their resposibilty to US the fans ? they did not give a fvck , they had the sky money the season ticket holders money and the ability to stick two fingers up and not have to give back a penny. Shame on them and their pathetic statement. one good thing to come out of all this the fans now know where they stand in the pecking order, about half way round the U bend.

I'm slightly annoyed with the club for not at least giving a gesture of goodwill to the people who bought tickets but could not attend. However I'm now looking at it from a promotion chasing aspect and we got the game played meaning no addtional fixture congestion and we got 3 points on the board against one of our promotion rivals.

Archived