Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tempwan Yierban

TPH's Ale Thread

I very rarely venture off in to non-British ales.

Am I missing something quite special?

Are they all cloudy and pale? Do you get any ruby type beers?

I'm actually drinking port tonight, having opened a bottle last night - and of course once opened, you have to drink it all in 2 nights. I'm not sure what happens if not, but I've accepted the rule without question. Only did 1/3 a bottle last night, so have started early. Not sure whether I'll need to get a mate involved too.

The only Leffe I would choose to drink of my own free will is the winter one, I'm not a big fan of that particular brewery.

Tragedy struck tonight when I went to buy some Triple Hop Duvel for a Star Trek board game night: The lazy bastard supermarket where I know I can find it shut mere minutes before I managed to get there.  Cue tears.  In the end I had to make do with some measly old regular Duvel from the Night Shop.

Before I went to Bavaria I got some Weihenstephaner Weissbier from Asda (not realising it was from the oldest surviving brewery in the world, because I'm a beer noob) because they were out of Erdinger and I wanted to see what I was in for.

I didn't get round to drinking it before I went away (acid reflux attacks) so I'm just trying it now.

It's ****ing gorgeous. Wow. I should have explored beers more years ago. How the **** did Carling and Carlsberg ever get popular when this stuff exists?

That's a serious question. Someone educate me.

Before I went to Bavaria I got some Weihenstephaner Weissbier from Asda (not realising it was from the oldest surviving brewery in the world, because I'm a beer noob) because they were out of Erdinger and I wanted to see what I was in for.

I didn't get round to drinking it before I went away (acid reflux attacks) so I'm just trying it now.

It's ****ing gorgeous. Wow. I should have explored beers more years ago. How the **** did Carling and Carlsberg ever get popular when this stuff exists?

Weihenstephaner is amazing, and my fave wheat beer. If you ever see there kristall (asda) get it as that is nice too. Shit beers are popular due to marketing.

Because civilization is a failure.

Weihenstephaner is amazing, and my fave wheat beer. If you ever see there kristall (asda) get it as that is nice too. Shit beers are popular due to marketing.

Sadly, on a three for two I got two Franziskaner Weissbier and one Weihenstephan on a whim as the former had a better looking label (lol) they're both nice but the Weihenstephan was absolutely ****ing stunning. Really nice.

There's a hint of the Duvel about it, the fullness of the after taste. I'm guessing they're of similar kinds of grain/malt?

Or am I being a noob again now?

Sadly, on a three for two I got two Franziskaner Weissbier and one Weihenstephan on a whim as the former had a better looking label ( lol) they're both nice but the Weihenstephan was absolutely ****ing stunning. Really nice.

There's a hint of the Duvel about it, the fullness of the after taste. I'm guessing they're of similar kinds of grain/malt?

Selling this at the Birmingham German Market, good stuff. I did get a little too pissed on it last year though.

Selling this at the Birmingham German Market, good stuff. I did get a little too pissed on it last year though.

Don't get me wrong, they're both nice but the Weihenstephan was something special. I'll get me some more of that.

I was on the Distelhauser Premium Pilsner in Germany, it was served as standard on draught in the only pub in Rothenburg open particularly late. Crisp, very light but very easy to drink.

I'm a definite convert. Shares in Thatchers Gold are going to take a hit!!

Sadly, on a three for two I got two Franziskaner Weissbier and one Weihenstephan on a whim as the former had a better looking label ( lol) they're both nice but the Weihenstephan was absolutely ****ing stunning. Really nice.

I think it will be because they both have the yeast still in and that provides a fuller mouth feel (no homo). Weihenstephan is way better than Franziskaner, and they are a better brewery who didn't sell out. Next you need to try Schneider Weisse original and then Aventinus. 

hey lads just got this banging ale anyone that says they've had it in this thread from now on loves batty and also is a battyman

45827011_h-1.jpg

Got some of this for the match tonight.

45827011_h-1.jpg

I'm sure it's been mentioned on this thread before but it really is a brilliant beer.

scandalous it really is

Saw something I hadn't seen before today: Palm Hop Select.  I don't really drink regular Palm but thought I'd give it a go. It's hoppy and bitter but there's an unpleasant tinny after-taste, even from a glass bottle, which detracts from the experience.  That said, it seems to be improving the further into the bottle I get.  Price-wise it's as good a beer as you'll get in its range (4 for about 3€).  Value for money but certainly not a pretender to Houblon Chouffe's hoppy beer throne.  It's certainly drinkable I'll give it that - I've gotten most of the way through it in the time I've spent writing. But the tinniness has unfortunately returned.  I was going to give it 3/5, but this latest revelation knocks it back down to 2.8/5.  Worth a look if you're seriously into your hoppy beers, otherwise there's no real need to prioritise sampling it.

I've just ordered 24 bottles of the new Brewdog prototype series, 4 new beers they have developed and may produce again if feedback is good, can't wait to start trying them.

Descriptions below:

Our annual Prototype Challenge sees us brew a series of new beers, and allow the public to choose which should feature alongside our Headliner range. Previously featuring favourites like Jackhammer, Cocoa Psycho and Brixton Porter, the Prototypes can become superstar brews almost overnight. This year we have a kickass gluten-free pale, an amped-up easy-drinking mild, a new take on an IPA, and a modern-day retro altbier.

1. ALL DAY LONG: REVAMPED MILD ALE (ABV 2.7% / IBU 30 / OG 1033)

2. HOP FICTION: INDIA PALE ALE (ABV 6.5% / IBU 55 / OG 1060)

3. VAGABOND PALE ALE: GLUTEN FREE ALE (ABV 4.5% / IBU 55 / OG 1046)

4. ALT AMBER: NORTHERN GERMAN RETRO ALTBIER (ABV 5.2% / IBU 45 / OG 1050)

nce you’ve sampled all four and translated your scribbled notes into a favourite, let us know the one you’d like to see brewed again by voting in the Prototypes Poll on our blog.

Had a pint of Everards Sleighbells Ruby Red yesterday day. Not bad not good.

Yeah none of their seasonal beers are anywhere near tiger or original. Looking forward to seeing what beers the soar point have today, they seem to change their craft draft beers every week.

Archived