Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
purpleronnie

Boston Marathon hit by explosions

Because I thought it was a fair point, same as yesterday given how much carnage and chaos we suffered at the hands of the people who funded that lot from Eire from the East Coast of America.

JTH has it spot on when he says if your community directly or indirectly supports terrorism in any way you have to expect some criticism or comment when you experience the other end of the problem

Fair enough, but I think James rebutted that point pretty well above by saying "This isn't the other end of the problem though. The other end of the problem would be if the bombings were directly attributable to some kind of retaliation to historical funding of the IRA. I think we can be pretty sure that's not the case. An event was targeted, not a community - it could have been the New York marathon, the London marathon, anywhere."

As far as can be told this is an indiscriminate rather than directed act of terrorism, and in any case two wrongs don't make a right here.

Guest MattP

Fair enough, but I think James rebutted that point pretty well above by saying "This isn't the other end of the problem though. The other end of the problem would be if the bombings were directly attributable to some kind of retaliation to historical funding of the IRA. I think we can be pretty sure that's not the case. An event was targeted, not a community - it could have been the New York marathon, the London marathon, anywhere."

As far as can be told this is an indiscriminate rather than directed act of terrorism, and in any case two wrongs don't make a right here.

Well don't forget the IRA bombed the Lisburn marathon/fun run killing 6 people.

Well don't forget the IRA bombed the Lisburn marathon/fun run killing 6 people.

An attack that killed 6 soldiers (and wounded civilians, come to that) and which had a clear political motivation.

This is the difference I'm trying to make clear. In the past, the IRA et al have used terrorism with clear political objectives and designated targets. With 9/11, it took on a whole different game - the introduction of a group that have no clear political goals, and are deadset on maximum indiscriminate civilian casualties in whatever act they perpetuate.

I honestly don't think you can give equivalence to the two.

Guest MattP

I accept that.

However it's still using death and destruction (often of innocents) to try and achieve what you want.

And whether they like it or not a lot of Bostonians and New Yorkers actively funded the death of British soldiers and civilians by means of terrorism and no matter how much they try they won't be able to re-write that history.

I accept that.

However it's still using death and destruction (often of innocents) to try and achieve what you want.

And whether they like it or not a lot of Bostonians and New Yorkers actively funded the death of British soldiers and civilians by means of terrorism and no matter how much they try they won't be able to re-write that history.

Fair enough. I still think it's incredibly crass to see this event (where the people involved may not have even heard of the IRA, let alone chipped in a few $ for 'the cause') as a sort of 'balancing of the scales' though.

I accept that.

Despite all of that, an indiscriminate bomb is not some form of moral justice. You are inverting the status of the victim into one in which he/she is the architect of their own downfall, a hideous inversion, when three innocent people have lost their lives.

Guest MattP

I haven't inferred that at all.

I just hope a lot of people from that area look in the mirror today and just think about the sort of behaviour they were supporting a short time ago.

I did. Many did, the whole World didn't wallow in pity you know.

New Yorkers are unreal, you even manage to come across with that reknowned arrogance over the internet.

This has nothing to do with pity and everything to do with you making the most tenuous of connections between two things that are similar because they are violent, no matter how dissimilar the motivations may be. That, and you sounding like a crass fvck making those connections.

And I'm the arrogant one... Jesus wept.

It's 2013--you need to find a new bogeyman.

I did. Many did, the whole World didn't wallow in pity you know.

New Yorkers are unreal, you even manage to come across with that reknowned arrogance over the internet.

So your saying we shouldn't feel sympathy with Bostonians et al because SOME... SOME... Americans sent money to the IRA, back in the day. They were mostly people from an ex-pat Irish immigrant background who thought they were supoporting a rightful cause based on their limited historical Anglo-Irish knowledge.

Either way innocent people get killed and injured and families destroyed because of this.

I was wondering, if I was in the London Marathon, following the events in Boston, would I still run?

Would you?

Would it be worth the risk or would it be worse to not run and waste all the weeks and months of preperation?

I'm not sure what I would do. (Not that I'm running anywhere). Most likely I would go and try and not be in the last packs of runners.

I was wondering, if I was in the London Marathon, following the events in Boston, would I still run?

Would you?

Would it be worth the risk or would it be worse to not run and waste all the weeks and months of preperation?

I'm not sure what I would do. (Not that I'm running anywhere). Most likely I would go and try and not be in the last packs of runners.

I'd go and run it like normal. That's not to say the incident in Boston wouldn't have affected me, but I'd at least show some solidarity on the outside. Obviously lots of people will feel different inside and scared both physically and mentally, but some people would have been training months for this and if that was me I wouldn't let it go to waste.

Would you?

I'd run it. Just like I got on a bus the day after 7/7. It's not about being brave or whatever it's just about getting on with life and understanding that there is an incredibly small risk, whatever the day, that you'll get blown up.

I'm not sure why people are questioning whether the London Marathon is safe to go ahead.

I'm sure the bombers didn't choose the Boston Marathon specifically because it's a marathon, more because it's a high profile event with lots of people present. In which case, we'd have to question if we go to any event at all (including the football).

I'm not sure why people are questioning whether the London Marathon is safe to go ahead.

I'm sure the bombers didn't choose the Boston Marathon specifically because it's a marathon, more because it's a high profile event with lots of people present. In which case, we'd have to question if we go to any event at all (including the football).

I think we're OK at the KP, to be honest.

I'll still be running in Edinburgh Marathon in may. They just emailed all runners this email:

Dear EMF Runner,

We are shocked and saddened by the events that have unfolded in Boston.  Our thoughts are with those who have been injured, and the friends and families who have lost loved ones.

The safety of you and your friends and family who are joining you on Saturday 25th and Sunday 26th May at the Edinburgh Marathon Festival, is our primary concern.  We work very closely with Police Scotland, Public Safety teams and other emergency services and follow their advice to ensure that the safety of our runners and spectators is maintained.  Our planning and staff training for all our events includes scenario planning for various incidents including what we have seen at the Boston Marathon.   Please be assured that your safety is and will remain at the top of our priorities.

We look forward to seeing you in May and to celebrating your achievements through your hard work and training.

Best wishes,

The Edinburgh Marathon Events Team

Your point being????

I know what you come back with will be utter tosh.

9/11, 7/7 and now this were all the subject of drills on the same day that the bombing event occurred. Are these co-incidental events or are the drills being used as cover for the real thing?

If you are trained not to question, fine, but as a scientist I am. I would want to know how these "coincidences" could happen at three major bombing events. :thumbup:

Building at Duke University evacuated due to a 'bomb threat'.

9/11, 7/7 and now this were all the subject of drills on the same day that the bombing event occurred. Are these co-incidental events or are the drills being used as cover for the real thing?

If you are trained not to question, fine, but as a scientist I am. I would want to know how these "coincidences" could happen at three major bombing events. :thumbup:

What if there are always drills at public events or places everyday of the week, and 3 times out of however many drills, something major has happened?

Archived