Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
purpleronnie

Boston Marathon hit by explosions

2 killed 22 injured.

How many innocent Syrians were killed or maimed today?.

Western society deaths through terrorism seem to be worth 10000 of people from other cultures.

Get yourselves off the tele and and have a good bit of alone time to think it through :)

Don't be such a purile dick.

It is possible to be concerned about more than one issue at any given time.

Actualy, no, carry on because you are making me look less of a cvnt with every post in this thread.

Probably best to just believe everything you see on Facebook, Twitter and Foxestalk to be honest. Someone's bound to be right.

But is a Wookie a bear or not?

That the attacks were simultaneous hints at al-Qaeda but others will have learned from them over the years. Attacking a soft target is also a signature of al Qaeda. Being able to carry off an attack at a relatively normal event within the US would be a great success for them and the panic it would cause would be right up their street. Al Qaeda's capability to carry out large scale attacks is greatly diminished; they haven't pulled anything of since Madrid (London was al Qaeda inspired but wasn't directly linked to the group). For some time the authorities have been worried about 'lone wolf' attacks because this is now thought to be the MO of islamist terrorist groups. Individuals or small cells are more difficult to detect. That these attacks do not appear to be the work of suicide bombers doesn't necessarily rule al Qaeda out. Suicide bombing is a technique al Qaeda copied from the Tamil Tigers of Sri Lanka. They aren't wedded to a particular technique; they are pragmatic and will do what works. They have proven adaptable over the years.

Right wing terrorism will also be under strong scrutiny, you'd think. But there doesn't seem to be any particular target group here which you'd expect from politically motivated terrorists. Breivik targeted young leftists whilst the Baader-Meinhof and Italian Red Brigades attacked instruments of the capitalist state. This appears at this stage to be indiscriminate with the purpose of spreading panic rather than delivering a message.

That the attacks were simultaneous hints at al-Qaeda but others will have learned from them over the years. Attacking a soft target is also a signature of al Qaeda. Being able to carry off an attack at a relatively normal event within the US would be a great success for them and the panic it would cause would be right up their street. Al Qaeda's capability to carry out large scale attacks is greatly diminished; they haven't pulled anything of since Madrid (London was al Qaeda inspired but wasn't directly linked to the group). For some time the authorities have been worried about 'lone wolf' attacks because this is now thought to be the MO of islamist terrorist groups. Individuals or small cells are more difficult to detect. That these attacks do not appear to be the work of suicide bombers doesn't necessarily rule al Qaeda out. Suicide bombing is a technique al Qaeda copied from the Tamil Tigers of Sri Lanka. They aren't wedded to a particular technique; they are pragmatic and will do what works. They have proven adaptable over the years.

Right wing terrorism will also be under strong scrutiny, you'd think. But there doesn't seem to be any particular target group here which you'd expect from politically motivated terrorists. Breivik targeted young leftists whilst the Baader-Meinhof and Italian Red Brigades attacked instruments of the capitalist state. This appears at this stage to be indiscriminate with the purpose of spreading panic rather than deliverng a message.

You should work for MI5.

Right wing terrorism will also be under strong scrutiny, you'd think. But there doesn't seem to be any particular target group here which you'd expect from politically motivated terrorists. Breivik targeted young leftists whilst the Baader-Meinhof and Italian Red Brigades attacked instruments of the capitalist state. This appears at this stage to be indiscriminate with the purpose of spreading panic rather than delivering a message.

Pretty much what I said earlier but with more detail. Accurate summation.

We live in a seriously fvcked up world.

I'm actually sick of the news being full of bad news, all the time. Is it just me who finds it seriously sad that the news is dominated by negativity?

Lots of good things happen. They just tend not to make the news.

I'm actually sick of the news being full of bad news, all the time. Is it just me who finds it seriously sad that the news is dominated by negativity?

Good things happening is the norm. 'Man helps old lady across the road' would be a shit story.

The news generally is going to be negative. It sparks a debate, interest in the story. People doing the right thing isn't going to be a real debating point.

Look at the benefits stories. People applying for 40 jobs a week aren't going to get in the paper, reporters aren't going to be sent to their door. Someone taking thousands from the state whilst not trying to find work is a talking point, that will be covered.

This is a tragic case and should be highlighted in real depth, especially when we have a similar and large event here this week. I find it so sad that the news is negative but it will be that way.

RIP to those who've lost their lives and I hope those who are injured make a full and speedy recovery. Can't imagine what those present have gone through :(

Think it's always been the case to be honest. It's the way the news channels revel in tragedy and fear almost to the point where it looks like they're loving every second of it that I find most distasteful.

I guess more often than not they have to fill a 24 hour schedule with 23 hours of puerile shite so when something that is actually newsworthy happens its inevitable that they'll explode into an orgasmic cloud.

Archived