Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

Watford At Home Pre Match Chat - Biggest Game In 3 Years

As for us, 4-4-2 worked reasonably well against Palace but against Watford's 3-5-2 I'm not so sure. If we play 4-4-2 then I'd stick with roughly the same side, maybe Nugent in for Schlupp as Schlupp was poor on Saturday but other than that, same side. Nice to see King, James and Wood all hitting some form.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned but in their last game, 6 starters and 4 on bench were loanees! (not including forestieri who was transferred for no transfer fee apparently) hahaha quite unbelievable

Think we will knick this game...just!

Didn't think we'd beat Palace and don't think we'll beat Watford either. There was nothing about our Palace display which suggested a desperate desire to win promotion or a thoroughly united team eager to pull each over over the finishing line.

In fact, apart from Andy King, there wasn't a player in the side who could control the ball quickly and show he had any idea what he wanted to do with the ball before it arrived. King was immense against Palace who were there for the taking but there wasn't the collective focus or the unyielding belief so necessary in a team of winners.

Yes, we played okay for a side with no more ambition than to be among the runners of a race. But I can't see the Watford game ever having more than a single goal difference and that's one of the points with Pearson - in tight matches he doesn't keep at the throat but almost always allows the opposion to stay in with a chance. And while that chance is there too many teams like Watford are likely to take it.

We're leaky as a punctured condom in the closing stages of so many of even our best efforts, and Watford will know that and there's little I've seen lately - Bolton excepted - which suggests our team can cope with the inevitable pressure. And even if we did, the emotional relief would make us vulnerable against Forest.

No, something, over and above the matchday scenes seems to have gone wrong within our team during the second half of the season, and we were never likely to go up, or to win our closing matches, without maximum effort and that would require maximum internal unity but it just doesn't seem to be there. i'd love to be proved wrong but my optimism has long gone.

The are reasons teams achieve things and we don't tick nearly enough boxes any more.

Thracian in Andy King praise shocker.

Where were you after the Crystal Palace game? Where were your elaborate posts then? And nothing after the win against Bolton, either.

Again, you fail to deliver praise when we play well and only pop up when it's time for your usual doom and gloom outlook, à la "I told you so".

Nothing better to write off our playoff chances with two more games to go.

If that's support, then we're clearly supporting a completely different team.

Didn't think we'd beat Palace and don't think we'll beat Watford either. There was nothing about our Palace display which suggested a desperate desire to win promotion or a thoroughly united team eager to pull each over over the finishing line.

In fact, apart from Andy King, there wasn't a player in the side who could control the ball quickly and show he had any idea what he wanted to do with the ball before it arrived. King was immense against Palace who were there for the taking but there wasn't the collective focus or the unyielding belief so necessary in a team of winners.

Yes, we played okay for a side with no more ambition than to be among the runners of a race. But I can't see the Watford game ever having more than a single goal difference and that's one of the points with Pearson - in tight matches he doesn't keep at the throat but almost always allows the opposion to stay in with a chance. And while that chance is there too many teams like Watford are likely to take it.

We're leaky as a punctured condom in the closing stages of so many of even our best efforts, and Watford will know that and there's little I've seen lately - Bolton excepted - which suggests our team can cope with the inevitable pressure. And even if we did, the emotional relief would make us vulnerable against Forest.

No, something, over and above the matchday scenes seems to have gone wrong within our team during the second half of the season, and we were never likely to go up, or to win our closing matches, without maximum effort and that would require maximum internal unity but it just doesn't seem to be there. i'd love to be proved wrong but my optimism has long gone.

The are reasons teams achieve things and we don't tick nearly enough boxes any more.

I usually agree Thrac but I certainly think we can and will beat Watford on Friday.

My big concern is doing that, only to Fook it up at Forest.

Not sure if its been discussed, but i wonder if the FFP rules will have an effect on Watford into the future?

The structure of loans and agreements between the two sides is surely questionable?

Not sure if its been discussed, but i wonder if the FFP rules will have an effect on Watford into the future?

The structure of loans and agreements between the two sides is surely questionable?

It does get very annoying when other fans that don't really know what's going on keep bringing this up just because Holloway cried over our team.

The only reason we have these players on loan is due to the fact that Udinese, Granada and Watford are all owned by the Pozzo family. Had the rules been different and international loans been treated the same as regular loans then we would have just got the players on free transfers! With every single loanee we have an option to buy them on a free as and when we want! Cassetti has never played for Udinese, and was bought and loaned to Watford on the same day, and the only reason he is a 'loan' player is because it was less of a risk (in terms of getting the paperwork done before deadline day) to do so. Know your facts.

In terms of financial fair play, the likelihood is that other clubs will follow suit. Instead of creating millions of pounds of debts *cough* Cardiff *cough*, we are getting in quality players without having to do so, by spreading the scouting network over three clubs and three countries for no extra cost we are saving money. Don't be surprised if, in times of financial hardship even in the football world, the Pozzo way of football becomes regular in europe.

Slightly harsh suggesting there wasn't a desire to win as we had 28 shots on goal. I actually thought it was quite a professional display from the midfield and strikers. Worked hard and created a lot.

It does get very annoying when other fans that don't really know what's going on keep bringing this up just because Holloway cried over our team.

The only reason we have these players on loan is due to the fact that Udinese, Granada and Watford are all owned by the Pozzo family. Had the rules been different and international loans been treated the same as regular loans then we would have just got the players on free transfers! With every single loanee we have an option to buy them on a free as and when we want! Cassetti has never played for Udinese, and was bought and loaned to Watford on the same day, and the only reason he is a 'loan' player is because it was less of a risk (in terms of getting the paperwork done before deadline day) to do so. Know your facts.

In terms of financial fair play, the likelihood is that other clubs will follow suit. Instead of creating millions of pounds of debts *cough* Cardiff *cough*, we are getting in quality players without having to do so, by spreading the scouting network over three clubs and three countries for no extra cost we are saving money. Don't be surprised if, in times of financial hardship even in the football world, the Pozzo way of football becomes regular in europe.

I find it quite sickening how you speak with pride over what you've done and how you've managed to be challenging for promotion. You speak as if loaning in countless foreign players on the free is a good thing to do, and other clubs should be following suit. Well in my opinion it's a shocking loophole that you've managed to exploit and it should be closed as soon as possible.

Holloway speaks a lot of bullshit, but he does have a point in this scenario (even if he exaggerated it to ridiculous proportions.) It is ludicrous that you've managed to loan so many players. It needs to be looked at and hopefully will be changed this summer so it can't be replicated. Yes you've avoided debt, but you've also become the reserve team of Udinese and Granada, something which I wouldn't be too proud of either.

I find it quite sickening how you speak with pride over what you've done and how you've managed to be challenging for promotion. You speak as if loaning in countless foreign players on the free is a good thing to do, and other clubs should be following suit. Well in my opinion it's a shocking loophole that you've managed to exploit and it should be closed as soon as possible.

Holloway speaks a lot of bullshit, but he does have a point in this scenario (even if he exaggerated it to ridiculous proportions.) It is ludicrous that you've managed to loan so many players. It needs to be looked at and hopefully will be changed this summer so it can't be replicated. Yes you've avoided debt, but you've also become the reserve team of Udinese and Granada, something which I wouldn't be too proud of either.

'So it can't be replicated' - it wouldn't have to be replicated, because the other clubs could get the players on free transfers, it is not a loophole at all, as even if the 'loophole' is closed then the exact same thing could happen again with no consequences. As for becoming a reserve club of Udinese/Granada, that's simply not true, the Pozzos have stated their intent to get into the biggest league in the world, the Prem, and so do not see us as a host for their players to come on loan and then return, the players are Watford players now.

Furthermore, for our academy this is brilliant news. People have long complained about how British teens aren't brought up playing technical football, and how the English national team has suffered as a result. Now we have scores of teenagers playing passing, attractive football, and being able to come up into the first XI playing this way, which is completely unheard of for other teams in Britain. Don't be surprised if our academy products in the future (look out for Bernard Mensah, Britt Assombalonga and Tommie Hoban to name but a few) become brilliant players due to the ability to train with very high quality players.

This whole promotion situation is so hard to call...

- If we beat Watford, Hull are up; if Watford win, they're 1 point behind Hull with a better goal difference and Hull will really be under pressure in their last 2 matches - Barnsley (A), Cardiff (H)....

- If we win, we're ahead of Bolton and Palace before their Saturday away games at Cardiff & Blackburn, respectively. Because of our goal difference, they'd both have to win or we'd stay in the Top 6 (though with Palace playing an extra Tuesday match at Millwall)...plus we'd be just 1 point behind Brighton, who have Leeds (A) and Wolves (H). I'd assumed they'd just about made the play-offs, but they could yet get dragged into the dog-fight.

If we get 4 points from our last 2 matches, Forest wouldn't be able to finish above us, Bolton would need 4 points (including at least a draw at Cardiff) and Palace would need 3 points from Blackburn (A), Millwall (A) & Posh (H), when Posh will probably need a result to avoid relegation....still plenty of hope, provided that we get those 4 points...

'So it can't be replicated' - it wouldn't have to be replicated, because the other clubs could get the players on free transfers, it is not a loophole at all, as even if the 'loophole' is closed then the exact same thing could happen again with no consequences. As for becoming a reserve club of Udinese/Granada, that's simply not true, the Pozzos have stated their intent to get into the biggest league in the world, the Prem, and so do not see us as a host for their players to come on loan and then return, the players are Watford players now.

Furthermore, for our academy this is brilliant news. People have long complained about how British teens aren't brought up playing technical football, and how the English national team has suffered as a result. Now we have scores of teenagers playing passing, attractive football, and being able to come up into the first XI playing this way, which is completely unheard of for other teams in Britain. Don't be surprised if our academy products in the future (look out for Bernard Mensah, Britt Assombalonga and Tommie Hoban to name but a few) become brilliant players due to the ability to train with very high quality players.

You don't think having 10 loan players from Udinese and Granada is a loop hole? You're only able to do it because they're viewed, for some bizarre reason, as permanent transfers rather than loans. I'm not sure how many of those can be in the squad at any one point but its more than should be allowed. Credit to Zola for how well he has put everything together, I didn't think it would end up working, but then I didn't realise the quality that you were able to bring in for free.

Fair comment on the academy, you've always produced good players, only wish we had a steady supply too.

Slightly harsh suggesting there wasn't a desire to win as we had 28 shots on goal. I actually thought it was quite a professional display from the midfield and strikers. Worked hard and created a lot.

Fair, I think....... :thumbup:

The issues we had on the day was an overall lack of purpose in the team as a whole, we often look unprepared and tactically inept and saturday was no different despite a decent level of effort from most of our players.

On another day that might have been enough but after our awful run we lack confidence and composure, particularly in front of goal. Two good goals but several equally decent chances were missed, mostly because our strikers were over anxious and seemed to 'snatch' at their chances.

Just a thought, but this does not seem to apply to King who's lack of goals seems to have impacted him in a different manner.

From what I can see King has gone completely the other way, he seems to take his time in a sort of exaggerated manner, trying really hard to make sure, to pick his spot but all that seems to happen is that he gives the keeper (or defender) extra time to make the save...... :dunno:

Archived