Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

Watford Post-Match Thread (h, playoff first leg)

I didn't think we were much good tonight but we got an important goal.

We started with a good tempo but our strikers did not do enough. I thought Nugent and Wood were very poor, their movement was non-existant and it led to us going back to the long ball game which as suspected didn't work. Kane was much better and needs to start on Sunday.

Watford once again looked a good side and used the ball quicker. Chances were missed by both teams in the first half, they could have had 1 and we should have had 2.

What frustrated me the most was that we were badly outnumbered when we went forward, the strikers weren't getting into space or moving and we didn't push enough players up to support. We were always going to struggle to create chances against a Watford side who defended in such a way, we rarely looked a threat in open play.

I could not for the life of me understand why Knocky was taking the set-pieces and not James, his deliveries were mainly shocking and James' had been quality in recent weeks. Then we score from one of his free kicks lol

1-0 isn't a great lead and my biggest worry is we will sit back and try and defend it. In fact I'm sure we will, and Watford will really go for it and we'll be in trouble. Our defence is not convincing enough for us to keep them out under that much pressure.

Which is why I was disappointed we didn't keep going after we scored our first, we had a couple of minutes of pressure, but didn't really hammer it home. It's not as if Watford were coming forward, I think they are still quite happy with the tie at 1-0. I'm not saying we should have gone kamikazee, but we were heading for the corner with 5 minutes left.

Really, perhaps you could explain which part of my explanation was actually incorrect....... :dunno:

1) It's a completely different game.

2) If we 'go out to defend' it'll be suicide.

3) If you'd honestly have taken a draw over a win tonight I'm not sure how seriously I can take you.

By the way the Sky coverage does not do the atmosphere justice. It went a bit flat after a while but it was fantastic in the first 10 minutes and in patches, after the goal etc, but the TV did not pick it up very well. I'll put it down to the crap acoustice of our stadium.

Guest ttfn

What an absolutely brilliant game. Had it ended 4-4 I don't think either side could have complained.

James and King were absolutely brilliant.

I am already a complete wreck ahead of Sunday!

It was a typical play off tie, a very tight game and the margin for error minimal! We handled them much better tonight and coped with some of their danger men very well. Yes the fact we couldn't get more than one goal is annoying but we have a cushion.

There were a few misplaced passes (Richie De Laet), but we handled the nerves well over the 90 and took the lead. This time three years ago we were 1-0 down going into our second leg. This time we have the advantage! Lets get behind the lads, and roar us to wembley!

By the way the Sky coverage does not do the atmosphere justice. It went a bit flat after a while but it was fantastic in the first 10 minutes and in patches, after the goal etc, but the TV did not pick it up very well. I'll put it down to the crap acoustice of our stadium.

Picked it up pretty well where I was.  I can see why everyone's tired of Sloop John B - stuck in my head now x(

1) It's a completely different game.

2) If we 'go out to defend' it'll be suicide.

3) If you'd honestly have taken a draw over a win tonight I'm not sure how seriously I can take you.

1) It is still City against one of the better teams in this division and

2) 'Going out to defend' by setting up defensively and/or playing 5 in midfield is what we routinely do in these situations and we usually lose (bar Hull away when we scraped a draw).

3) Far too seriously by the look of it, though there is some truth in what I am saying....... ;)

Think 1-0 was a fair enough result.

Was a game where each team had spells of dominance, not much end to end football at all.

The finishing was terrible from both teams. Think Leicester should've gotten a few more shots on target, at the very least, early on.

Think today summed up Vydra in the last 3 months. He was 1vs1.... earlier in the season that was a guaranteed goal, literally... I'd of bet my life on him scoring. But today he seemed to choke.... it wasn't our only chance by a long shot but it was the best chance of the game.

Don't think both teams had a particularly good game. Geijo is not as good as Deeney and it showed.... our defence was a bit more lapse than it was against you two weeks ago. Not sure why Forestieri was not introduced sooner. I'm sure you will see what he can do on Sunday though.

I'm not judging you, but there was quite a bit of long balls and mostly it didn't pay off at all, just like 2 weeks ago. Watford fans know more than most about hoof ball... I think as Zola said I couldn't see you scoring after the first 20 minutes. But you scored from a set play, I always thought that could happen when you have a few taller players to put in the box. A bit ironic that Fitz Hall came on just after... it seemed that Zola was a bit behind with his tactics.

I also thought that the officials were not that good, for either team. After he booked Anya he basically had to book anyone who made a foul. Somehow he changed that when it came to Schlupp... bottled it? I think a few decisions may have gone against you as well though... but that was probably the most game changing? 

Sunday should be a good game. I think we will come out fighting and Leicester will have to play a blinder. I can't see us not scoring so think you'll have to go looking for a goal rather than sitting back all game.

Think 1-0 was a fair enough result.

Was a game where each team had spells of dominance, not much end to end football at all.

The finishing was terrible from both teams. Think Leicester should've gotten a few more shots on target, at the very least, early on.

Think today summed up Vydra in the last 3 months. He was 1vs1.... earlier in the season that was a guaranteed goal, literally... I'd of bet my life on him scoring. But today he seemed to choke.... it wasn't our only chance by a long shot but it was the best chance of the game.

Don't think both teams had a particularly good game. Geijo is not as good as Deeney and it showed.... our defence was a bit more lapse than it was against you two weeks ago. Not sure why Forestieri was not introduced sooner. I'm sure you will see what he can do on Sunday though.

I'm not judging you, but there was quite a bit of long balls and mostly it didn't pay off at all, just like 2 weeks ago. Watford fans know more than most about hoof ball... I think as Zola said I couldn't see you scoring after the first 20 minutes. But you scored from a set play, I always thought that could happen when you have a few taller players to put in the box. A bit ironic that Fitz Hall came on just after... it seemed that Zola was a bit behind with his tactics.

I also thought that the officials were not that good, for either team. After he booked Anya he basically had to book anyone who made a foul. Somehow he changed that when it came to Schlupp... bottled it? I think a few decisions may have gone against you as well though... but that was probably the most game changing? 

Sunday should be a good game. I think we will come out fighting and Leicester will have to play a blinder. I can't see us not scoring so think you'll have to go looking for a goal rather than sitting back all game.

I said to my mate who I took to the game, who knows your keeper Bond but is a neutral, that  a one goal cushion was fair. He agreed. To be honest Vydra's was the best chance but Nugent, Keane and Knockaert all had massive chances (Knockaert's was a good save by Almunia). We were very very wasteful, as we have been all season. Could have been 3-2/4-3!!

That wasn't a particularly good performance from us. It was full of pace, power and energy but lacked the precision we have shown at times this season.

When we play long balls they don't work, as I'm sure you noticed we were much more dangerous playing the ball quickly on the floor. They just seem to come back at us or bounce around and get miscontrolled. We aren't as calm in possession in our own half and I think that's why we resort to longer balls. That said by no means are our tactics long ball tactics.

And the ref wasn't great or particularly consistent. We never seem to get good referees. Some bemusing corner/goal kick decisions. Considering his bookings before maybe he did bottle it for Schlupp but I even thought Schlupp's yellow shouldn't have been given, along with pretty much all the yellows given.

Really looking forward to Sunday now. You have home advantage but we have a goal advantage. By no means is it over but pressure is on you to score. If it's 0-0 we go through so surely you're under more pressure.

Oh and Pearson has already said we are going to your place to win the game as we aren't as good when we try to sit back and defend. Thank god he's finally realised this. I reckon there'll be a fair few more goals on sunday than today. Excited to say the least

Phew,

Looked a pretty good game from my part of the world, both sides had a few chances and nerves played a much bigger part than i expected.

Think their boys will really feel it at Vicarage rd on Sunday and im hoping that their lack of experience in playoff and extra high pressure games will bugger them up.

Well done to all the boys tonight, great result

Well done to the crowd, was fantastic listening to BBC Leics while watching.

COYB

Fabulous evening of entertainment even if the quality wasn't great.

I thought both sides tried to win and both should have scored more. Vydra's miss was terrible though and I think in the end we were pretty lucky to come away with a win.

Pearson got his tactics right though and playing Nugent deep to occupy their midfielder was a really good ploy. I thought we faded quite badly during the second half and only really picked up the tempo again when Kane came on.

Pearson has some big decisions to make.

Left back for one. Schlupp was really poor and defensively a liability but how fit is Konchesky I think this is a tough call.

Wood was poor last night. His first touch is getting worse and his mobility is non existent. The only alternative though is Kane who hasn't done much so far in his stay at the club.

Watford will throw everything at us. They are a wounded animal and have nothing to lose. I just can't see us keeping a clean sheet as our defence is pretty fragile at times. Personally I think we will need to score at least 2 if not 3 times to win and though we won we didn't really create anything at all in the second half from open play. We can't be too open but we need to take our chances which will be few.

I thought James and King were the stand out performers last night thoughKkeane also did well thoughI. I thought Watford really missed Deeney as he bossed the game last time we played them.

I don't normally comment on the officials but for such a big game they were woeful. Throw ins and corners given the wrong way, blatent hand balls missed against both teams. Yellow cards handed out for ball winning tackles and quite honestly why wasn't Schlupp sent off? The guy shouldn't be allowed to ref at this level again until he's spent some time down in a lower league.

Almen Abdi: 'Watford were mentally down'

© PA Photos

By Matt Cotton, Reporter

Filed: Friday, May 10, 2013 at 06:48 UK

Last Updated: Friday, May 10, 2013 at 06:50 UK

Watford midfielder Almen Abdi has revealed that his side were "mentally down" going into their playoff semi-final first leg with Leicester City on Friday night.

The Hornets missed out on automatic promotion on the final day of the Championship season, with their defeat to Leeds United resulting in Hull City taking their place in the top two.

Watford were beaten 1-0 at the Walkers Stadium, and Abdi is adamant that his side can play better.

"It was a tough game. We knew it would be before," Abdi told Sky Sports News "It's half time at 1-0 and we play at home on Sunday with everything in our hands.

"I think they played better today, it wasn't our best performance.

"We were mentally a bit down after Saturday's game, but it's another chance for us. We will give 100% until the end and it's not over, we can score a goal at any time."

Weird game.

For 25 minutes we were fantastic and then we just stopped and went on to produce some complete and utter turd!

Thankfully we got the win. But last night doesn't really give me any confidence going into Sunday. Need a 90 minute performance not 25!

Drop Schlupp and Wood for Konchesky and Kane on Sunday.

Voice has gone after last night,cracking atmosphere lifted the boys. Matty James MOM for me King played well and Knockeart at times is pure genius.

This game is far from over but I think Wat turd last night looked nervy, an early goal please and this is ours.   

Don't know if it's been mentioned but Roy Keane was there last night (fairly sure someone said he was the Forest game as well). 

Please Top, don't ever employ him. The man's an utter prlck, as well as being a terrible manager.

Archived