Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ADK

Championship 2013/2014 Stuff it in here.

They're not celebrating the fact that they are gay, they are celebrating the victories and progress made by the LGBT community against social oppression and stigmatisation, the fact that they can be comfortable in their sexuality enough to publicly display it, when as little as 50 years ago it was still illegal in the UK.

There's no straight pride day because straight people have never faced difficulty or oppression regarding their sexuality. 

Well put. These kind of events are about empowering minority groups and supporting their status in society. They might be viewed as a little unnecessary now as there isn't any real oppression now but it's not such a bad thing to allow these groups to express themselves.

I'm a bit late to the party but we've missed out on Ward there. He was brilliant for Forest and would've been collossal next to Wes.

I said Bournemouth need to strengthen, good signing that.

Pride pisses me off! Not because I'm a 'phobe but why do people have to celebrate the fact they're gay?

Why isn't there a straight pride day?

For someone who claims not to be a 'phobe', that's a very homophobic comment and you've clearly missed the point of Pride completely.

Reminds me of those old chaps down my local who say 'I'm not racist, but...'

For someone who claims not to be a 'phobe', that's a very homophobic comment and you've clearly missed the point of Pride completely.

Reminds me of those old chaps down my local who say 'I'm not racist, but...'

I don't think it makes him a homophobe because he's missed the point.

When you think about it, it is pretty stupid. Although I suppose it's a good place to chat up other gays.

I'm a bit late to the party but we've missed out on Ward there. He was brilliant for Forest and would've been collossal next to Wes.

I said Bournemouth need to strengthen, good signing that.

He split opinion here. Although once he had a run of games and gained match fitness he looked pretty decent. More are disappointed we didn't go for him then are glad to see the back of him. 

I don't think it makes him a homophobe because he's missed the point.

When you think about it, it is pretty stupid. Although I suppose it's a good place to chat up other gays.

If you had grown up scared and confused by what you feel inside, terrified of what your friends and family would think etc, you wouldn't trivialise it like that.

Would you also say Black History Month is stupid but at least it's a good opportunity to speak to other black people?

Pride pisses me off! Not because I'm a 'phobe but why do people have to celebrate the fact they're gay?

Why isn't there a straight pride day?

Homophobic if you ask the do-gooder PC twats. Most irritating people on the planet bar no-one.

They're not celebrating the fact that they are gay, they are celebrating the victories and progress made by the LGBT community against social oppression and stigmatisation, the fact that they can be comfortable in and proud of their sexuality enough to publicly display it, when as little as 50 years ago it was still illegal in the UK.

There's no straight pride day because straight people have never faced difficulty or oppression regarding their sexuality. 

Fair do.

Either way, each to their own, let them be what they want to be.

eh?

Just to point out, I'm not at all homophobic and have no problem with gay pride day, but Bert does raise a fair point.

Not saying there should be a straight pride day but it'd be considered homophobic if there was one, that's what pisses me off.

Anyway back to football. Strong signing from Bournemouth that, scored for Cov past us didn't he? I fancy them to have a pretty decent season to be honest, Howe seems to fit them far better than he did Burnley.

Just to point out, I'm not at all homophobic and have no problem with gay pride day, but Bert does raise a fair point.

Not saying there should be a straight pride day but it'd be considered homophobic if there was one, that's what pisses me off.

Anyway back to football. Strong signing from Bournemouth that, scored for Cov past us didn't he? I fancy them to have a pretty decent season to be honest, Howe seems to fit them far better than he did Burnley.

And for Forest.

If you had grown up scared and confused by what you feel inside, terrified of what your friends and family would think etc, you wouldn't trivialise it like that.

Would you also say Black History Month is stupid but at least it's a good opportunity to speak to other black people?

I would actually, and Morgan Freeman agrees with me.

(Well not the second part, but the first part).

I would actually, and Morgan Freeman agrees with me.

(Well not the second part, but the first part).

Well judging by your trivialising of the Gay Pride movement I think its fair to assume that your reasoning is not the same as Freeman's, and you are lucky to have something like that to fall back on, but it doesn't mean Freeman is completely right. Freeman is right in a way to suggest that black history shouldn't have to be relegated to a single month, but wrong to suggest the world is in a place where that is at all feasible. The same goes for Gay Pride. Discrimination and prejudice is still rife at all levels of society, and there is still widespread ignorance of history and understanding why things are as they are today. So would ceasing to talk about it today, and instead ignoring it, make it go away? No.

He mentioned that there was no 'White History Month', but why would there be? He asked the Jewish journalist if he would be ok with a 'Jewish History Month' and said journalist said no, but I don't think he'd say the same thing about Holocaust Memorial Day.

Removing labels altogether isn't the way to eliminate these problems. It's getting people to understand that the differences between people are purely details and its ok to talk about them because it doesn't affect anybody's value as a person. This happens through education. Without educating people about the terrible oppressive crimes against humanity that have happened in the past, how could you get them to see how wrong they were? That's the whole point of occasions like BHM, Gay Pride and HMD, raising awareness and educating people on where we have gone wrong, not pigeon-holing minority heritage.

I think black history month is stupid, for me it's not a good idea to celebrate a particular race. I'm struggling to put it into words but I've come up with this - if you allocate time for praising a particular race you're encouraging division IMO, with religion, culture or sexuality it's fine to have some individuality but I much prefer the idea of all races being equal - this means that events 'supporting' one specific race shouldn't go ahead. If you want further explanation please ask, not sure if I've been clear enough.

Morgan also has a few words on the matter:

854025-9QTEHO3.jpg

I think black history month is stupid, for me it's not a good idea to celebrate a particular race. I'm struggling to put it into words but I've come up with this - if you allocate time for praising a particular race you're encouraging division IMO, with religion, culture or sexuality it's fine to have some individuality but I much prefer the idea of all races being equal - this means that events 'supporting' one specific race shouldn't go ahead. If you want further explanation please ask, not sure if I've been clear enough.

You can refer to my response to Kitchandro on the last page, the same applies. BHM isn't about 'celebrating' black people, its about raising awareness of the horrors of the past and the continuing racism that exists at all levels of society, and trying to educate people about how ridiculous and terrible it is. Sexuality and religion are not about individualism either. Culture is a different matter. Morgan Freeman's idea that the way to deal with racism in today's world is by ignoring it is quite frankly ludicrous.

You can refer to my response to Kitchandro on the last page, the same applies. BHM isn't about 'celebrating' black people, its about raising awareness of the horrors of the past and the continuing racism that exists at all levels of society, and trying to educate people about how ridiculous and terrible it is. Sexuality and religion are not about individualism either. Culture is a different matter. Morgan Freeman's idea that the way to deal with racism in today's world is by ignoring it is quite frankly ludicrous.

I think it's unnecessary, people know about slavery, I don't think we require an event to raise awareness especially not an entire month.

Raising awareness about racism today is much more important but I'd prefer it to be done differently. Better to call it an anti-racism event rather than BHM as that just misleads people into thinking it's geared towards combating racism specifically against black people.

As I say it's just this prioritisation thing that comes out from it that I dislike. It doesn't help the cause to give races, which are all equal, events that are specific to their ethnicity as it divides people into separate groups.

Well this is my prediction. Yes, I know what you're thinking and it may happen, in my opinion, I think it will. And for us, it was quite tight :P

The fact you said Barnsley would finish in the Top 6 means everything else you have written is null and void.

Archived