Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Wellens to Melbourne Victory or back to Doncaster?

At his age as well he may be better off getting a reduced 3 year contract than seeing out his current one and potentially being forced into retirement next year if nobody wants him! Would Dickov like Beckford, Danns and Gally as well?

fair enough, i'm sure he was a striker though ....

No, he plays either centrally or wide right. Panayiouto is a striker/winger and both have a big chance of breaking through this season coming in my opinion.

No, he plays either centrally or wide right. Panayiouto is a striker/winger and both have a big chance of breaking through this season coming in my opinion.

In Pearson terms that means Cain will be a right back.

Can't imagine we will be paying up his contract to release him. He might be available on a free to people who want him though.

Agreed, which will be worth a good £750,000 saving to us as he's not worth much of a transfer fee anyway.

Agreed, which will be worth a good £750,000 saving to us as he's not worth much of a transfer fee anyway.

I'm sure we'll have to stump up half his wages as well, but better off the books if he's not even going to be used.

Been a good player, and a solid enough midfielder for us. Shame that he is getting older and his legs arn't as good as they were (he never had great pace anyway), but his ability to pick a pass is still good... Would be a good signing for a side around the bottom end/mid table of the Championship, like Doncaster.

Just need to get rid of Gallagher, Waghorn and Beckford amongst others now.

If Logan had any pride he'd want to go to a team where he'd be a regular starter, even if it meant dropping down a couple of divisions. We can always promote another youth teamer  for back up.

If Logan had any pride he'd want to go to a team where he'd be a regular starter, even if it meant dropping down a couple of divisions. We can always promote another youth teamer for back up.

I doubt that Logan is bothered about playing to be honest. Seems to be quite content to just sit on the bench and pick up a wage.

In relation to the rumours, this is the first i've heard of it but i can't see Wellens as being a Posticoglu style of player. Ange likes a free flowing passing style game and tends to favour young quick players who are good passes and can take on there man. Not too sure Richie fits this bill, but who knows sometimes with Ange.

Spot on there. :thumbup: Can you imagine Wellens plonked in the middle of that speedy, free flowing Brisbane midfield that Ange put together a couple of years back? Makes me laugh just thinking about it.

Having said that, I'd love to see Wellens out here. He's Leicester, was a good player in his day and his post match comments are usually good value. Watching him cope with del Piero would be interesting too.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.thornegazette.co.uk/sport/local-sport/doncaster-rovers-wellens-type-is-right-for-us-says-dickov-1-5750460

Paul Dickov says rumoured target Richie Wellens is ‘the calibre of player’ he wants to sign for Doncaster Rovers.

Former Rovers midfielder Wellens has been tipped for a return to the Keepmoat after effectively being frozen out by current club Leicester City.

The latter part of Dickov’s time at Leicester as a player overlapped Wellens’ first few months at the club following his 2009 switch from Rovers.

While refusing to be drawn on the identity of individual transfer targets, Dickov admitted his admiration for Wellens.

And in discussing the 33-year-old, Dickov seemed to suggest he had been keeping an eye on his contract situation.

“Richie Wellens is a player I know really well – I’ve known him for a long time,†Dickov said.

“He’s still under contract at Leicester.

“A release went out saying Richie and six other players had been released but they are still under contracts they need to sort out themselves.

“One thing I will say is Richie is the calibre and type of footballer we want to bring in to this football club.â€

Wellens is said to be keen on a return to the Keepmoat and it has been suggested Dickov has already sounded him out about a return.

He made just four appearances for the Foxes last season and enjoyed a month’s loan at Ipswich as he recovered from a cruciate ligament injury.

Archived