Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingfox

Miquel & Yennaris

One of Watford's major flaws was that they weren't able to shut games out at times, conceded late goals e.g. against Wolves. Perhaps they'd have been able to hang on if they had a player who'd been in that situation before.

Experience would help the team IMO, it isn't all about player ability. Direction and good leadership can be crucial in some situations, helps 'focus' that ability if you know what I mean.

The major flaw for Watford was Zola deciding to drop his better players against the smaller clubs.

Take their game away at Bristol City for example, a win would have put them either second or top, he put out a reserve side and quite rightly lost. Watford rarely showed any mental deficiencies like ourselves. Yes, they may have lost leads at times but so do all clubs, that is part of football. When they came to our place near the end of the season looking for 3 points to continue and challenge the top 2, they did not bottle it, they totally outplayed us and got the three points.

The inability to finish chances when in a winning position, and the inability to prevent conceding regular late goals cost us last season, and despite both having technical elements, it was our inept mentality which led to the above happening. 

The major flaw for Watford was Zola deciding to drop his better players against the smaller clubs.

Take their game away at Bristol City for example, a win would have put them either second or top, he put out a reserve side and quite rightly lost. Watford rarely showed any mental deficiencies like ourselves. Yes, they may have lost leads at times but so do all clubs, that is part of football. When they came to our place near the end of the season looking for 3 points to continue and challenge the top 2, they did not bottle it, they totally outplayed us and got the three points.

The inability to finish chances when in a winning position, and the inability to prevent conceding regular late goals cost us last season, and despite both having technical elements, it was our inept mentality which led to the above happening. 

Right, and perhaps our mentality would improve with greater experience in the squad. Young players aren't always the most resilient so I do accept the argument that we shouldn't rely on them too heavily if possible. Older heads are more likely to lift players around them and give the team more direction, they know what to do in a given situation having been in it many times before.

For me there are clear disadvantages to having so many young players, it seemed at times our midfield wasn't sure of what to do at times during our bad run but someone who'd been in that situation before would've known what to do.

One of Watford's major flaws was that they weren't able to shut games out at times, conceded late goals e.g. against Wolves. Perhaps they'd have been able to hang on if they had a player who'd been in that situation before.

Experience would help the team IMO, it isn't all about player ability. Direction and good leadership can be crucial in some situations, helps 'focus' that ability if you know what I mean.

I agree, we need a couple of players with the know how to see out games, and the experience of being able to get three points from scrappy situations.

To show the way to our talented kids.

Some people will find a reason to complain about signings whatever the case. If they're youngsters then they'll complain that they lack experience, if they're older then they'll complain that they're not 'young and hungry' enough, or that they're just Premier League rejects.

Here's a thought - why not see how well they do for us before judging them?

The same yennaris that started in the 7-0 thrashing by the hands of luton town last week? fantastic 

So when Newcastle beat us 7 - 1 at St James Park, then no one in our team that day were good enough to play at that level? Would you have said Steve Walsh was not good enough to play for us, because he played that day?

You can't single out one player for a defeat.

TBF We did had a goalkeeper and defender both in their late 30s so not it was down to a lack of experience per say but not coping with the pressure against Leeds and basically not turning up against Palace which might be down to the mental issues talked about.

Of course Vydra stopped scoring as well for 3 months which hardly helped...

I think they're very good options to have if we bring them in. Anything is better than St. Ledger; I rarely criticise players, but St. Ledger was always a bizarre signing, never impressed at this level for any of the clubs he played for. You just can't have centre-backs that can't deal with big strikers.

I don't know a great deal about either but I always get suspicious when two players join on loan from the same club at the same time. It's almost like we want one and say we'll take another to give him some game time as a deal sweetener in order to get the one we were really after.

I certainly think that happened with the Keane/Lingard deal as we had no real need for Lingard and would just give him 5 or 10 minutes here or there whilst genuinely needing Keane.

I think they're very good options to have if we bring them in. Anything is better than St. Ledger; I rarely criticise players, but St. Ledger was always a bizarre signing, never impressed at this level for any of the clubs he played for. You just can't have centre-backs that can't deal with big strikers.

A bit harsh, he can be solid on his day and in this formation I think he can look class. Also he was good for Preston?

Archived