Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DennisNedry

PS4 v Xbox One

Which will you be buying?  

349 members have voted

1. 1. PS4 or Xbox One?

See shoddy MS & Sony build quality... Had my Wii from day one (2006), until I sold it in Feb this year. Not one problem!

Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo has already pointed it out, but you're comparing apples and oranges. The Wii isn't really competing with the PS or XBox - its target market is totally different. It's aimed at kids, casual gamers, families, etc. and not the hardcore gamers - it's the console for people who don't like computer games. The Wii is a more basic machine, and will get used far less often by its owner on average than that of the PS or XBox. You might as well argue that a deck of cards never breaks down.

Definitely PS4. Another switch of console company for me. After being a loyal Nintendo fan since the SNES, then switching to 360 because of how disappointing the Wii was, now I'm changing to PS4 because the XBOne is just not worth it.

Looks like I'll be definitely getting one on release as well because my 360 has just red ringed after just about 4 1/2 years of service. Ridiculous really, since I was playing on my N64 the other day and it still works absolutely fine. I hope the new generation of consoles won't have the same hardware failures as the 360, PS3 and Wii had. 

N64 - the last console to take cartridges, I think. Cartridge consoles had a lot of plus points - fewer moving parts, no loading times, sturdiness, etc. I think a cartridge can only hold so much data, and that's why we don't see them anymore.

Sadly though, the more advanced consoles get, the more complicated they are, and the more chance there is of something going wrong and of them breaking down.

N64 - the last console to take cartridges, I think. Cartridge consoles had a lot of plus points - fewer moving parts, no loading times, sturdiness, etc. I think a cartridge can only hold so much data, and that's why we don't see them anymore.

Very true - I remember playing Tony Hawk's 2 on the N64 once. Instead of 15 full songs on the soundtrack, there was 6... and they were 20 second loops of questionable quality.

What made it more funny is that Nintendo demanded that "hell" was removed, so RATM's Guerrilla Radio looped over after a few lines of "All ... can't stop us now!"

3DS cartridges can hold up to 8GB, which is comparable to a double-layer DVD but I guess they are more costly to produce.

I think one of the biggest draws of the PS1 at release is that it also doubled up as a CD player which were still relatively costly at the time. Certainly the DVD capabilities of the PS2 sold a lot of that console at launch - DVD players still being very expensive when the PS2 released. And then same with PS3/Blu-Ray - seem to remember the PS3 being cheaper than some Blu-Ray players available when it released, despite the fact it could also play games too...

My guess is the first models of each will undoubtedly have some common problems - keep your receipt!

Definitely. My Wii got the disc read error twice and now with my Xbox red ringing I don't hold out much hope!

Sadly though, the more advanced consoles get, the more complicated they are, and the more chance there is of something going wrong and of them breaking down.

Yeah cartridges held less and were more expensive to make and distribute, I don't really begrudge console makers from using discs. It means games are more expansive at least. 

Seems all technology these days is less reliable and people just seem to accept that it will go wrong at some point. Personally I think that's wrong, if you buy something you buy it under the premise that it will work forever without user inflicted damage. I wish they would change their warranties to cover hardware failure for life and only accidental damage for a year or something. I keep all my consoles in perfect condition and it's only ever been hardware failure that's seen them break.

im going to get an xbox one, i had a ps1 first off then a ps2 then that carked it so i got a xbox which i had chipped and now i have a 360. ps4s shotty controller is enough for me to still get the xbox one, (the left joystick is just in the wrong spot on the ps3, its so uncomfy when dribbling players in fifa etc ) and especially when the negatives people are complaining about for the xbox one dont really affect me. i dont get second hand games as i only buy a few games a year (fifa, nba, gta, forza etc) plus my internet connection is fine for online so the 24 hour check in will be no problem. and all the people saying oh no what if your internet is down? whats stopping you using your phones internet hotspot to do the simple checkin ? simples. 

Some of the stuff in this thread is incredible. There's very little to choose between the two consoles, same as PS3 and 360, same as PS2 and Xbox, etc, etc. In the end the biggest factor is the exclusive games. If you like Halo, Forza, Gears of War, et al, then you're going to buy an Xbox, if you like Gran Turismo, Uncharted, God of War, some of the quirkier Japanese games, you're going to go Playstation (though if you like REALLY quirky Japanese games you probably go Nintendo!)

I know that every time I've bought a new console it been down to which games I want to play.

im going to get an xbox one, i had a ps1 first off then a ps2 then that carked it so i got a xbox which i had chipped and now i have a 360. ps4s shotty controller is enough for me to still get the xbox one, (the left joystick is just in the wrong spot on the ps3, its so uncomfy when dribbling players in fifa etc ) and especially when the negatives people are complaining about for the xbox one dont really affect me. i dont get second hand games as i only buy a few games a year (fifa, nba, gta, forza etc) plus my internet connection is fine for online so the 24 hour check in will be no problem. and all the people saying oh no what if your internet is down? whats stopping you using your phones internet hotspot to do the simple checkin ? simples. 

Thing is it's gone way past all of the consoles limitations now. Microsoft have time and time again stated things as fact, and then pulled out two days later saying one of their employees made a 'mistake'. They aren't being honest with people, and in numerous interviews, have avoided answering simple questions about the functionality of the console, which makes a lot of people believe they are sugaring the console up to be more than it actually is. A lot of people were willing to ignore the online check in stuff and other 'features', but the way Microsoft have acted about a lot of it such as the "don't have an internet connection? Buy an XBox 360!" comment coming straight from one of their execs, and the way the console is limited to certain countries is what has put people off the most. The whole thing has been a PR disaster.

It's absolutely unbelievable that the people who are developing The Witcher 3 aren't even going to be able to play their own game on the XBO when it launches. Microsoft think they can sell the XBO off the basis of the 360's success, and have numerous times made out like their existing customer base are mindless drones who'll buy anything they make. Sadly for them this does not seem to be the case, and they only realised this after they had announced everything, and are now being forced to backpeddle like mad to try and please the fanbase they have ****ed off so much.

It's this attitude towards gamers that has turned a lot of people off, they don't want to buy a console off a company that is obviously in bed with some of the major evil corporations of or current age (EA, NFL etc). To a lot of people XBO is abandoning a lot of the things that made gaming enjoyable in the first place.

People aren't disappointed in the hardware specs or internet connectivity checks and stuff, they are disappointed that gaming is becoming less about the game, and more about big buck corporations, and Microsoft seem to be actively pushing this with the XBO (do we really need a Halo TV series? and achievements for watching a certain TV show or advert? this basically makes peoples gamer score null and void), it's even getting to the point now where Microsoft are refusing to call it a 'Games Console'.

I want a games console, and at the moment Sony and Nintendo are the only people making them, since I don't enjoy motion control gaming, I'm buying a PS4.

lol.

What a load of absolute shit. Go over what you written again, I'm not going to bother explaining to you how stupid you sound.

In my defence I was ****ing smashed last night when I posted this, what the **** was I going on about?! lol

In my defence I was ****ing smashed last night when I posted this, what the **** was I going on about?! lol

That makes sense then i didn't want to say anything in fear of being accused of being a fanboy but the "did you know the xbox live servers are gonna hold more power than the whole of the world's pc power in 1999" made me die.

That makes sense then i didn't want to say anything in fear of being accused of being a fanboy but the "did you know the xbox live servers are gonna hold more power than the whole of the world's pc power in 1999" made me die.

Hahaha, I didn't even notice that bit. What a dickhead!

Thing is it's gone way past all of the consoles limitations now. Microsoft have time and time again stated things as fact, and then pulled out two days later saying one of their employees made a 'mistake'. They aren't being honest with people, and in numerous interviews, have avoided answering simple questions about the functionality of the console, which makes a lot of people believe they are sugaring the console up to be more than it actually is. A lot of people were willing to ignore the online check in stuff and other 'features', but the way Microsoft have acted about a lot of it such as the "don't have an internet connection? Buy an XBox 360!" comment coming straight from one of their execs, and the way the console is limited to certain countries is what has put people off the most. The whole thing has been a PR disaster.

It's absolutely unbelievable that the people who are developing The Witcher 3 aren't even going to be able to play their own game on the XBO when it launches. Microsoft think they can sell the XBO off the basis of the 360's success, and have numerous times made out like their existing customer base are mindless drones who'll buy anything they make. Sadly for them this does not seem to be the case, and they only realised this after they had announced everything, and are now being forced to backpeddle like mad to try and please the fanbase they have ****ed off so much.

It's this attitude towards gamers that has turned a lot of people off, they don't want to buy a console off a company that is obviously in bed with some of the major evil corporations of or current age (EA, NFL etc). To a lot of people XBO is abandoning a lot of the things that made gaming enjoyable in the first place.

People aren't disappointed in the hardware specs or internet connectivity checks and stuff, they are disappointed that gaming is becoming less about the game, and more about big buck corporations, and Microsoft seem to be actively pushing this with the XBO (do we really need a Halo TV series? and achievements for watching a certain TV show or advert? this basically makes peoples gamer score null and void), it's even getting to the point now where Microsoft are refusing to call it a 'Games Console'.

I want a games console, and at the moment Sony and Nintendo are the only people making them, since I don't enjoy motion control gaming, I'm buying a PS4.

Yeah! I'm sure I heard you get an achievement for buying the Xbone on the day it's released!

Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo has already pointed it out, but you're comparing apples and oranges. The Wii isn't really competing with the PS or XBox - its target market is totally different. It's aimed at kids, casual gamers, families, etc. and not the hardcore gamers - it's the console for people who don't like computer games. The Wii is a more basic machine, and will get used far less often by its owner on average than that of the PS or XBox. You might as well argue that a deck of cards never breaks down.

lol hardcore gamerz! I won't even try... Except to point out that they are called 'video games' surely the hardcorz know that!?

Obviously took a big hit and realized they had to change there game plan after they realized they are not in control of the gaming market.

Probably too late now I suspect they have lost ALOT of consumers already this won't make much of a difference.

I don't think people will forget the policy they originally had in place, i certainly won't.... But lets face it one person isn't going to make a difference, i still think the XBOX One would have sold well, with them back tracking now they may have just saved themselves from total embarrassment (sales wise)

Can they redeem themselves now? and get people back on board? we shall see....

Nah this irritates me even more, they tried to fvcking shit in our hat in the first place and now they turn around and say "We change our minds" and think I will forget about it in a few months time. Fvck em, Sony 4 life.

To be honest Sony haven't really wowed me either...

For the first time in ages i won't be buying any console on it's launch date, i'm gonna wait it out (a year probably) and see who i wanna go with

Archived