Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DennisNedry

PS4 v Xbox One

Which will you be buying?  

349 members have voted

1. 1. PS4 or Xbox One?

X1 eSRAM + DirectX 11.2: From 32Mb to 6GB worth of textures.

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/x1-esram-directx-11-2-from-32mb-to-6gb-worth-of-textures.453263349/

It will let developers do more with less RAM, certainly, which likely plays an important part (combined with the eSRAM and move engines the Xbox One uses) in making DDR3 RAM a viable solution within the X1 architecture.

A lot of people have criticised the use of DDR3 in the X1 as though MS' engineers are some bumbling Hurdurs who had no clue of the advantages of using unified graphics RAM in a console - despite the fact that this was the exact solution that the Xbox 360 used.

They used DDR3 because it was the only type of RAM that they could guarantee an 8GB console with, which was necessary for the 3GB OS with split screen multitasking they envisioned. 

But they didn't just throw it in there with abandon. eSRAM, move engines, texture tiling - the architecture has been entirely custom built to deal specifically of the problems of DDR3.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1mfIg1I3zE

In my opinion, the internet's behaviour the past few months towards the Xbox brand has been nothing short of disgusting. It's like everyone has collectively forgotten their love of gaming for arguments over resolutions they don't understand and pixel counting. The Xbox One is just not allowed to have nice things.

X1 eSRAM + DirectX 11.2: From 32Mb to 6GB worth of textures.

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/x1-esram-directx-11-2-from-32mb-to-6gb-worth-of-textures.453263349/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1mfIg1I3zE

In my opinion, the internet's behaviour the past few months towards the Xbox brand has been nothing short of disgusting. It's like everyone has collectively forgotten their love of gaming for arguments over resolutions they don't understand and pixel counting. The Xbox One is just not allowed to have nice things.

I'd agree with this but the ps4 is superior :D

Well I see where this is coming from but I'm siding with this point of view...

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. At the end of the day though Sony went to game developers specfically to see how to build the next console and the deicision unanimously was to make it more like a PC (as game developers have always wanted it). Having a specialized piece of equipment is not what you want. Now you have a system that's going to have a much larger learning curve and take more time to develop for than normal. Now you have developers deciding if they even want to bother using the ESRAM and instead bypass it altogether and use the DD3 solely which results in gaming looking worse.

So while your right about a lot of these things who knows how long it will take developers to get used to that technology and who wants to wait around and hope. I waited around and hoped with the PS3 and I'll never do that again. As a word of caution to all the 360 gamers I wouldn't wait either it sucked with the PS3 and I just have a feeling it will suck with the X1. Now on the other hand I'll be picking up a PS3 soon and I'll go back and play all the games I missed.

This seems reasonable. It's the reason why multi format games are worse on ps3. It appears we have a role reversal on our hands for this new gen of consoles imo.

Game over.

Microsoft ought to throw in the towel.

Orly?

1080p isn't much good when your frame rate grinds to a stand still every 5 minutes is it?

Having said that I've got no interest in playing COD anyway so it's not something that's going to have any impact on what I eventually buy.

Orly?

1080p isn't much good when your frame rate grinds to a stand still every 5 minutes is it?

Having said that I've got no interest in playing COD anyway so it's not something that's going to have any impact on what I eventually buy.

Both run at 60fps or am i missing something? Find it funny tho all of a sudden 1080 isn't so important to alot of xbox fans and they think it's just a little upgrade when it actual fact it's quite huge one has below 1 million pixels while the other has above 2 million no amount of cloudservers can change that i'm afriad.

Both run at 60fps or am i missing something? Find it funny tho all of a sudden 1080 isn't so important to alot of xbox fans and they think it's just a little upgrade when it actual fact it's quite huge one has below 1 million pixels while the other has above 2 million no amount of cloudservers can change that i'm afriad.

Might want to take your blinkers off and read a review. As I say makes no odds to me tired and boring series of games just funny. If you ask me both the next gen consoles will be a waste of time on launch.

"A key pillar of the Call of Duty experience has always been rock-solid 60 frames per seconds gameplay. On Xbox 360, Ghosts maintains this mandate. The PlayStation 4 version, however, has noticeable technical issues, sometimes slowing to a crawl" - Joystiq

I can't believe this nonsense. Both systems appear to be shifting at the end of the month with known issues and both are subject to day one patches.

I think this cod business is optimising for current gen and porting across. Lazy programming if you will.

We're not going to get a true reflection of capabilities for some time yet, although PS4 definitely has a hardware advantage. Wait for the Killzone reviews, that should give us an idea.

I wouldn't touch Xbone with a barge pole though tbh.

AC4 is shifting with PS4 on release instead to replace Watchdogs, announced today.

Might want to take your blinkers off and read a review. As I say makes no odds to me tired and boring series of games just funny. If you ask me both the next gen consoles will be a waste of time on launch.

"A key pillar of the Call of Duty experience has always been rock-solid 60 frames per seconds gameplay. On Xbox 360, Ghosts maintains this mandate. The PlayStation 4 version, however, has noticeable technical issues, sometimes slowing to a crawl" - Joystiq

Blinkers? I havn't really been keeping up with the last week of news as i've bin busy thats why i said am i missing something i didn't even know there was a review out for the PS4 and tbh I couldn't give a flying fvck about CoD aswell it died after 4 for me and even then that was only good on PC with promod.

The launch games for most generations usually look barely better than the last games for the passing generation. I remember seeing God of War 2 for PS2 about when the PS3 released and it looked better than most of the PS3 launch titles. The PS4/Xbone games in 5-6 years will look miles better than COD Ghosts

Not getting either for months yet bar a miraculous betting win (lol lol lol lol lol)

I just don't see the point in the rush. The 360 will do for now but I want to know what the reviews are of the two before I spend a decent chunk on either, and I'm gonna wait for the price to come down.

I probably won't get one until FIFA 15 is out (providing FIFA get their act in gear)

Will probably get the PS4 but I currently have the 360. Will shops like game let you trade in Xbox 360 games for PS3 games because there playable on PS4?

Starting again on everything and getting used to the controls will be annoying mind

PS3 games aren't playable on the PS4, PS4 will be able to stream PS3 games on the net though, but that will mean spending more money on that particular game.

oh really I didn't know that, could of sworn I read that you could somewhere

Yeah there was talk of it, and people were quite excited about it but Sony quashed the rumour, I expect the confusion came from the streaming old games side of it. It's a shame really It would have been good.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/11/14/broken-playstation-4-systems

Launch PS4 hardware problems, multiple reports

Can we not bring this ridiculous fanboy stuff here please, last thing we need is for this forum to end up like the gamefaqs message boards have. Of the thousands and thousands of consoles that have been sent out, one failing, and IGN's debug unit failing do not constitute 'multiple reports'. Lets say 5000 have been sent out to competition winners and others, two reported failures equals a failure rate of less than 0.01%, to put it into contrast, the original 360 had a failure rate of more than 30%, and this wasn't discovered until about 6 months into it's life cycle.

Lets just wait a week or so before we start reporting catastrophic failures across the board, or even better, let's just wait until both new systems are on the market, otherwise people could end up looking very, very silly.

Archived