Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Iwan is a Welshman

Waggy

I like both players. They both work hard for the team and play with their heart on theirs leaves. You can argue that goal scoring ratio for this season but at leicester waghorn has scored 20 (inc loan spell) in over 90 games and nugent got 16 in his first year then 16 again and is halfway to that total again this year. And tbf he didn't take penalties in year 1 and 2 with us. Nugent is a very good championship player and form will come again. For now I agree he deserves time out from the side though.

I like both players. They both work hard for the team and play with their heart on theirs leaves. You can argue that goal scoring ratio for this season but at leicester waghorn has scored 20 (inc loan spell) in over 90 games and nugent got 16 in his first year then 16 again and is halfway to that total again this year. And tbf he didn't take penalties in year 1 and 2 with us. Nugent is a very good championship player and form will come again. For now I agree he deserves time out from the side though.

Waghorn's 20 in 90 stat is absolutely pointless, it offers nothing. The vast majority of those games Waghorn was either brought on late into the game as a substitute or was played out of position. Waghorn had two prolonged runs in the side playing as a striker, one during his loan spell when he netted 12 league goals for us (2-3 behind Nugent's tallies) and one run last year before he had his appendix out, during that run most thought that he was our best player (The MOTM stats that davieG ran last year will testify to that). Whilst I accept that Nugent is probably the better player right now, there is not a huge gulf between the two players and Waghorn is five years younger.

Hear, Hear. Waghorn goes underrated and slagged off by everyone whilst Nugent gets the love because he's a "big name".

Nugent, albeit being off-form at the moment, is miles better than Waghorn. 

Waghorn's 20 in 90 stat is absolutely pointless, it offers nothing. The vast majority of those games Waghorn was either brought on late into the game as a substitute or was played out of position. Waghorn had two prolonged runs in the side playing as a striker, one during his loan spell when he netted 12 league goals for us (2-3 behind Nugent's tallies) and one run last year before he had his appendix out, during that run most thought that he was our best player (The MOTM stats that davieG ran last year will testify to that). Whilst I accept that Nugent is probably the better player right now, there is not a huge gulf between the two players and Waghorn is five years younger.

I'm not implying a huge gulf in class at all. I like both players and both I think are very good at this level. I'd prefer nugent as he consistently scores 15+ a year whereas waghorn, whilst he has good spells - the best two of which you mentioned- he does not score this many. The 20 in 90 stat is not pointless. It is goal scoring form regardless of how long is played. People were saying wood hadn't scored in the league before watford but he only got 20 mins or so off the bench for most of the games he has been part of so far and the same is said about schlupp not scoring enough even though he plays left back or gets a shitty 5 mins off the bench. Waghorn's age is a tricky one cus whilst he is technically still a youth player (I think that qualifies u/23s) he is the same age as drinkwater and older than James, knockaert, wood, Moore and schlupp and they are always first 18 players whom we expect to perform to the same standard as nugent. I like waghorn but just think he needs a fresh start now. Sadly I think his leicester ship has sailed.

I'm sure I said Waghorn isn't a natural goalscorer... In terms of chances taken. But he DOES offer an alternative. He's quick and strong.

With Nugent's form having nosedived and Wood not exactly pulling up trees during the arse end of last season, I remain convinced that Waghorn could still do a job for the club.

He's good at shielding the ball and bringing other players in on goal. Better, in this respect that Schlupp for instance.

However, the debate is academic. He's off I should suspect.

Strikers shouldn't be judged on by how many goals they score. There is a lot more to it than that. People don't call for another keeper because Kasper doesn't keep clean sheets?

What should they be judged on then?

Nugent is our best striker he has scored the most amount of goals this season and has the most assists 3 (joint with Dyer)

Strikers shouldn't be judged on by how many goals they score. There is a lot more to it than that. People don't call for another keeper because Kasper doesn't keep clean sheets?

Well Nugent is, scored 8 this year yet the general consensus is that he has been poor whilst Vardy, with half the goals, has contributed more all round.

To be honest, if we had a player who stood in the box every game all game and scored 30 I'd be delighted and wouldn't care he didn't track back.

I do feel that Waghorn is a good example of many championship players. On his day he was a lot offer, good dead ball skills, work rate, holds the ball, half decent short passing game and now he is playing elsewhere he is held in high regard, but where do you play him ? Up front, really ? just think back to his wayward shots which made him a standing joke. On the right ? Drop Koncky ? The left ? The middle in place of king, James or Drinkwater ? but hes good option from the bench, but only if he is happy with that, which is questionable or change the system to suit him?

You really need to turn this upside down and ask what can he do for the team and is he happy with that role, maybe he is but needed match time to get fit and sort himself out, maybe not and much as I like him, don't forget he left Sunderland for first team football which hasn't worked out for him and now we have a much better team.

Well Nugent is, scored 8 this year yet the general consensus is that he has been poor whilst Vardy, with half the goals, has contributed more all round.

To be honest, if we had a player who stood in the box every game all game and scored 30 I'd be delighted and wouldn't care he didn't track back.

I like Nugent, when he's on form he's good. Just at the minute he isn't. He needs to be dropped and Wood and Vardy should be the partnership. I also rate Waghorn he's a good young player which is why he played for England under 21's. He just need to be playing often and he helps the team

Did you say the same and tell people the same when it was Beckford getting the treatment.

Archived