Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Derby Pre Match

Think people are both over and underestimating Derby currently. We shouldn't be so in awe of them to settle for a draw at home before we've played them, neither should we write them off because they've beaten some lowly teams (who we have struggled against) and had one defeat against a good squad.

Whether they are a flash in the pan or not we should respect them as a current promotion rival and a win would be a huge result.

To be honest, a draw wouldn't be a terrible result. Atleast they gain no ground on us. Having said that, Burnley will probably trash Yeovil and QPR may well beat Ipswich. I think we have enough in our team to win this though. Derby really aren't anything special.

I'm not fearing Derby but i think it'll be a very tough game, hoping for a draw.. they have just signed Bamford on loan which is quality but i dont understand why they need him being top scorers in the league? We should have enough to see them off but it has the feel to 'one of them games' already

It's Derby at home. A draw would be a pretty bad result at this stage. We should be winning our home games and Derby are very beatable. Not to say I'm 100% expecting one but I will be disappointed with anything less than a win

Interestingly Derby were won of the mediocre teams we battered in our 22 points from 8 games streak under Sven. We then ran into three of the top six in quick succession and completely folded. We even had the same "this is our year" moment that they had when they finally broke down 10 man Boro when Waghorn scored in the last minute against Bristol City. 

Wigan was Derby's first test for a while and they folded, much like us at Cardiff in 10/11. This next game is a proper test of our and Derby's mettle.

It is not just Derby under the microscope here. Last time we were in a good run of form and had a great opportunity to put a huge gap between us and our seemingly dangerous East Midlands rivals, we lost 0-2 at home to Forest (in admittedly bizarre circumstances). 

This is a great chance for both teams to lay down a real marker of what they're capable of and what their true promotion capabilities are. I think home advantage might just see us squeeze through with a narrow win, but I am really excited about this game because I think we're going to see two decent sides going all out to win.

Very decent comparison actually. Fills me with a little bit of confidence.

However Derby pre-winning run definitely looked better than we did, and they hit 2nd place whilst we never even hit 6th.

My gut's telling me this'll be 1-1, maybe 1-2 to them.  It just feels right after 4 straight league wins and going into a game against a team we've beaten twice already this season.

In a tight match where the ball spends most of its time entrenched in the middle of the park, an early Nuge penalty gets us all excited before Kingfox's wet dream makes a debut from the bench on the 76th minute, scoring in the 88th. He bags another in injury time if we're really unlucky.

Warning: Last time I refused to believe we could keep a winning run going was going into the Forest game on the back of 3 straight wins, and we all know what happened then. That's proof enough for me that I have a special power which lets me predict the impending death of a win-streak.  Start lowering your expectations for Friday.

Are they averaging automatic promotion form?

That is what I consider to be alright..

When they do that maybe I will start to appreciate how good they are doing but right now they are playoff contenders and nothing more than that.

Last 10 games

Sheep w8 d1 l 1 25pts

Us   W6 d1 l3 19pts     not including cup games

Work it out yourself muppet automatic for or not its better than ours over the last 10 games.

3;45 Am Saturday Perth time... but on TV. HUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEE game. Well up for this...Allnighter, or early bed and early up?

Lets stitch em up... yet another 2-1 Pearson classic :)

A win will start pouring the cement in around the foundations :)

Very decent comparison actually. Fills me with a little bit of confidence.

However Derby pre-winning run definitely looked better than we did, and they hit 2nd place whilst we never even hit 6th.

I actually don't agree - Derby didn't look any better than we did before our winning run - in fact both sides were quite similar. Us under Sven (bearing in mind he took over when we had 8 points from 10 games) having actually taken 21 points from 14 games before that winning run even started. After 14 games this season (i.e. just before the start of their run) Derby had 19 points from 14 games. So actually we were in a pretty similar state, and this is where I actually get a bit fed up with people slagging off Sven - given where we'd come from the fact that we ever even had a sniff at the play-offs was faintly ridiculous. 

As others have said there are no individual results in there which make you stand up and think that Derby really mean business, but given that we've lost to three of the bottom six this season, pulling together that sort of run is never to be sniffed at.

I actually don't agree - Derby didn't look any better than we did before our winning run - in fact both sides were quite similar. Us under Sven (bearing in mind he took over when we had 8 points from 10 games) having actually taken 21 points from 14 games before that winning run even started. After 14 games this season (i.e. just before the start of their run) Derby had 19 points from 14 games. So actually we were in a pretty similar state, and this is where I actually get a bit fed up with people slagging off Sven - given where we'd come from the fact that we ever even had a sniff at the play-offs was faintly ridiculous.

As others have said there are no individual results in there which make you stand up and think that Derby really mean business, but given that we've lost to three of the bottom six this season, pulling together that sort of run is never to be sniffed at.

Good post. We just need to treat each game with same level of professionalism and importance

Can't argue with that and I also agree that Sven didn't do badly in 10/11, he definitely improved us that year and that's what gave me so much hope for the next year, only if anything, for us to go backwards.

The bottom sides are the bottom sides for a reason - they're shit. Leicester losing at Charlton, Doncaster and Sheff Weds were in the grand scheme of the league table - freak results, and should be treated as such. For it to happen three times is stupid but they are they for a reason - they're all crap.

Interestingly Derby were won of the mediocre teams we battered in our 22 points from 8 games streak under Sven. We then ran into three of the top six in quick succession and completely folded. We even had the same "this is our year" moment that they had when they finally broke down 10 man Boro when Waghorn scored in the last minute against Bristol City.

Wigan was Derby's first test for a while and they folded, much like us at Cardiff in 10/11. This next game is a proper test of our and Derby's mettle.

It is not just Derby under the microscope here. Last time we were in a good run of form and had a great opportunity to put a huge gap between us and our seemingly dangerous East Midlands rivals, we lost 0-2 at home to Forest (in admittedly bizarre circumstances).

This is a great chance for both teams to lay down a real marker of what they're capable of and what their true promotion capabilities are. I think home advantage might just see us squeeze through with a narrow win, but I am really excited about this game because I think we're going to see two decent sides going all out to win.

Excellent post

I haven't got a clue which way this one is going to go but if we turn up and play at our best or thereabouts we WILL win this.  Derby are decent side and certainly a hell of a lot more organised under the wally, but we are 4 points clear at the top for a reason.  When you think in the last month we have put QPR to bed at their place and then beaten Reading at home as well as getting a good result at Millwall, there is nothing in Derby we haven't already come up against and gotten 3 points from.    I actually worry less about playing teams like Derby at home than I do about playing teams like Sheff Wed, Charlton etc away!

I haven't got a clue which way this one is going to go but if we turn up and play at our best or thereabouts we WILL win this. Derby are decent side and certainly a hell of a lot more organised under the wally, but we are 4 points clear at the top for a reason. When you think in the last month we have put QPR to bed at their place and then beaten Reading at home as well as getting a good result at Millwall, there is nothing in Derby we haven't already come up against and gotten 3 points from. I actually worry less about playing teams like Derby at home than I do about playing teams like Sheff Wed, Charlton etc away!

Agreed

Archived