Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
indierich06

Realistic signings now we are up... (and some unrealistic ones)

We need a fast wide man, a fullback who can play on either side, a centre back & a striker for me.

For me personally this would be my wishlist:

Adomoah

Naughton?

Slimani

Hangeland would of been my number 1 target at centre back but obviously he's moved on now so not sure who's available with premiership experience?

I would say their all realistic & would improve our squad a lot.

I would like another left-back, Schlupp looks better on the wing, can't see Konchesky being consistent enough till January.

Few clubs might offer players to us on deadline day, probably nothing will happen as per, but we do have two Premier League loan moves we can take up on, Nick Powell perhaps.

I would like another left-back, Schlupp looks better on the wing, can't see Konchesky being consistent enough till January.

Few clubs might offer players to us on deadline day, probably nothing will happen as per, but we do have two Premier League loan moves we can take up on, Nick Powell perhaps.

You must be (Bojan) Jokic.

Other than that, I'll put the name Jorge Torres Nilo out there.

I will stick by my prediction of 4 or 5 new signings including Cambiasso.  3 permanent and 2 loans.   A striker (N'doye) Simpson (RB) McArthur? and then a loan for a winger and LB.

Any good, up and coming 'starlets' from the Swiss league that we could be having a look at MC? Its a league I confess I know very little about.

With regards to the swiss league....are the top sides always financially secure?

Because I find it strange that basel hold on to so many of their key players so often.

The Swiss Super League (a branding decision I still have troubles coping with to some extent) is very much a "development league". We can't attract star players from abroad because most clubs can't or rather won't afford them, so we'll settle for young Swiss talent and prospects from Africa (Egypt, Tunisia, Ivory Coast, Cameroon) or Israel instead. The youth development setup here has transformed tremendously in the past 20 years and the influx of youngsters coming from a mixed cultural background (called "secondos" over here) has created an interesting mix, blending in with the classic "Swiss" traits from the past.

Clubs are very wary to prevent Swiss players to leave for better, more high-profile leagues outside of the country too early into their career. It is understood that national talent needs to be given time and usually in between four to five years in the first team of a top-flight club is the rule of thumb.

And since the "big" names are lacking anyway, you won't find a lot of interest from TV channels wanting to cover the league. The income in that department is comparatively laughable, really.

Basel are in a different league to all other nine Super League clubs, as they have massive financial backing by the international pharmaceutical industry located in town and they made the right decisions at the right time (building a new stadium, getting the right manager and the right players in some 10 to 15 years ago).

The rest of the league is pretty much just playing catching up and from a sportive perspective, it's going to be a tough ask for any of the "bigger" clubs below Basel (Grasshopper Club, FC Zürich or BSC Young Boys) to compete for a top spot in the foreseeable future. It also doesn't help when financial turmoil lingers (record title holders Grasshoppers, for instance, struggle regularly with owners, management and financial backing - the Champions League millions for Thun have long since evaporated and wasted on paying off former staff members or "counselors"), when the financial backing by patrons comes to an end (FC Zürich) or when misguided scouting and a lackluster transfer policy becomes an issue (such in the case with Young Boys; but they've managed the turnaround, I think).

Smaller clubs like Thun, St.Gallen and Lucerne could surprise a few on the Europa League scene in the near future, as they're trying to live within their means. St. Gallen and Lucerne just recently created their own academy in order to prevent local talent to leak through their fingers.

My fear is that the teams promoted to the Super League (like Vaduz from Liechtenstein, for instance) are doomed anyway because the difference in financial power and depth in squad as well as quality is too big. Most likely, they'll head straight back down again. A league of only ten gives the established clubs a major advance and it runs the danger of becoming an exclusive club. Then again, I can see where the Swiss Football League is coming from, too. It is quintessential to help the league to become self-sustainable in the long run.

Some Swiss players to look out for at the moment:

- Francisco Rodriguez (RM, FC Zürich)

- Roberto Rodriguez (Francisco's brother; RM, FC St.Gallen)

Both Francisco and Roberto are VfL Wolfsburg's Ricardo Rodriguez' siblings and all equally talented. Then there are:

- Patrick Rossini (ST, FC Zürich)

- Marco Schönbächler (LM, FC Zürich)

- Michael Frey (ST, Young Boys)

- Renato Steffen (RW, Young Boys)

- Fabian Schär (CB, FC Basel)

- Luca Zuffi (CM, FC Basel)

- Fabian Frei (CM, FC Basel)

- Shkelzen Gashi (CAM, FC Basel)

- Michael Lang (RM, Grasshopper Club)

- Gianluca Frontino (ST, FC Thun)

- Christian Schneuwly (ST, FC Thun)

- Marco Schneuwly (Christian's brother; ST, FC Lucerne)

The Swiss Super League (a branding decision I still have troubles coping with to some extent) is very much a "development league". We can't attract star players from abroad because most clubs can't or rather won't afford them, so we'll settle for young Swiss talent and prospects from Africa (Egypt, Tunisia, Ivory Coast, Cameroon) or Israel instead. The youth development setup here has transformed tremendously in the past 20 years and the influx of youngsters coming from a mixed cultural background (called "secondos" over ehre) has created an interesting mix, blending in with the classic "Swiss" traits from the past.

Clubs are very wary to prevent Swiss players to leave for better, more high-profile leagues outside of the country too early into their career. It is understood that national talent needs to be given time and usually in between four to five years in the first team of a top-flight club is the rule of thumb.

And since the "big" names are lacking anyway, you won't find a lot of interest from TV channels wanting to cover the league. The income in that department is comparatively laughable, really.

Basel are in a different league to all other nine Super League clubs, as they have massive financial backing by the international pharmaceutical industry located in town and they made the right decisions at the right time (building a new stadium, getting the right manager and the right players in some 10 to 15 years ago).

The rest of the league is pretty much just playing catching up and from a sportive perspective, it's going to be a tough ask for any of the "bigger" clubs below Basel (Grasshopper Club, FC Zürich or BSC Young Boys) to compete for a top spot in the foreseeable future. It also doesn't help when financial turmoil lingers (record title holders Grasshoppers, for instance, struggle regularly with owners, management and financial backing - the Champions League millions for Thun have long since evaporated and wasted on paying off former staff members or "counselors"), when the financial backing by patrons comes to an end (FC Zürich) or when misguided scouting and a lackluster transfer policy becomes an issue (such in the case with Young Boys; but they've managed the turnaround, I think).

Smaller clubs like Thun, St.Gallen and Lucerne could surprise a few on the Europa League scene in the near future, as they're trying to live within their means. St. Gallen and Lucerne just recently created their own academy in order to prevent local talent to leak through their fingers.

My fear is that the teams promoted to the Super League (like Vaduz from Liechtenstein, for instance) are doomed anyway because the difference in financial power and depth in squad as well as quality is too big. Most likely, they'll head straight back down again. A league of only ten gives the established clubs a major advance and it runs the danger of becoming an exclusive club. Then again, I can see where the Swiss Football League is coming from, too. It is quintessential to help the league to become self-sustainable in the long run.

Both Francisco and Roberto are VfL Wolfsburg's Ricardo Rodriguez' siblings and all equally talented. Then there are:

Cheers for that MC..

DAILY MIRROR: Manchester City quartet Micah Richards, Scott Sinclair, John Guidetti and Matija Nastasic have all been told to find another club before Monday's transfer deadline.

Richards and Sinclair would be nice.

DAILY MIRROR: Manchester City quartet Micah Richards, Scott Sinclair, John Guidetti and Matija Nastasic have all been told to find another club before Monday's transfer deadline.

Wages? Might be an issue. Would take both for sure. And the closer we get to Monday, maybe there is an outside chance.

Wouldn't mind Nastasic

The Swiss Super League (a branding decision I still have troubles coping with to some extent) is very much a "development league". We can't attract star players from abroad because most clubs can't or rather won't afford them, so we'll settle for young Swiss talent and prospects from Africa (Egypt, Tunisia, Ivory Coast, Cameroon) or Israel instead. The youth development setup here has transformed tremendously in the past 20 years and the influx of youngsters coming from a mixed cultural background (called "secondos" over ehre) has created an interesting mix, blending in with the classic "Swiss" traits from the past.

Very enjoyable read. Nice to get a proper look into other leagues.

Knowledge!

Why do you think Schar hasn't moved yet? Everytime I've watched Basel in Europe he's looked excellent.

Nastasic would be a good signing...but he is just as likely to not be played here.

Archived