Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
isleofwightfox

My biggest worry for the coming season - bad signings

The top ten worst signings in the premier league this season weren't all huge money flops like Fellaini. I'm really glad Pearson is thrifty with his signings and I hope that when we inevitably break our 5.5million transfer record for someone as ineffectual as van wolfswinkel or cornelius.

Lamela and Jovetic are harsh inclusions given they admit they've been injured most of the season. They don't have suspect injury histories like say Darren Anderton, so that's just unfortunate on their part.

Still, I'd trust Pearson more than I trust any other manager to make the most of a premiership budget.

Still, I'd trust Pearson more than I trust any other manager to make the most of a premiership budget.

Pretty much this. Him and Steve Walsh have a very good record in the transfer market, and Nige doesn't seem like the type to piss millions up the wall on someone who isn't going to fit into the team or isn't worth that amount of money. It's probably one of the least of my worries.

Altidore £6million lol lol

From what I've seen of Lamela, he will turn into a good player. Some players need time to settle when they arrive, look at Dzeko.

Anyway, I don't think there's any need to worry. Nige knows what he is doing. He isn't the type to throw money away on rubbish.

I think it is a greater risk NP won't spend enough and has too much faith in this squad.

I think he's faith in the squad undoubtedly (and deservedly so) but he's not naive. I've lost count of the times he's stated (this or something to this tune) that if he can find somebody for the right price who'll work in his squad then he'll go for it.

Today's statement unhelpful but not with Nige in charge as any potential signings will have been thoroughly researched and, almost certainly, represent good value for money. He won't go down the Sven route, not in his nature, fortunately!

But what if the thais want some big signings to increase our profile? Can see Nige being forced into a few signings.

Id like to think they learned their lesson last time.

Im disappointed that a number of fans think we should sign half a new squad. The reason we pissed the league this season is because we benefitted from stability and a tight knit squad.

We should not stray from that way of doing things. Two or three signings at the very most, then we re-assess in January.

Remember we have 8 less league games next season and Nigel likes a settled starting lineup. The last thing we need is a load of players on good money not even making the bench every week. Not good for squad morale id have thought.

Carroll, 35 million was it?

Its not how much you spend, its if you buy in panic, if the window is closing and we havent made the signings.. i hope we dont panic and throw cash at a less than impressive player.

Aha - first signs of some reality creeping in........

In the context of this thread and its subject, reality is when we'll have signed a few players and seen what they're capable of or what they've brought to the side.

Until then, your "reality" is basically just all hypothesis.

Id like to think they learned their lesson last time.

Im disappointed that a number of fans think we should sign half a new squad. The reason we pissed the league this season is because we benefitted from stability and a tight knit squad.

We should not stray from that way of doing things. Two or three signings at the very most, then we re-assess in January.

Remember we have 8 less league games next season and Nigel likes a settled starting lineup. The last thing we need is a load of players on good money not even making the bench every week. Not good for squad morale id have thought.

We'll have about 18 players left from this season, there's 25 spaces to fill. There will surely be a few more than 3 new signings.

Archived