Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Corky

Punditry

Seedorf and Henry need to be featured all tournament. That's the level that BBC/ITV need to be aspiring to, not rubbish like Alan Shearer.

I think Shearer is a bellend but I'd be lying if I said he hasn't improved ALOT as a pundit over the past half a year or so. Seems to be a lot more clued up rather than just saying "he done that all night," as was previously the case, I'm aware he couldn't have gotten much worse but there are now far more tedious pundits on the box than him. Savage's class clown schtick (for example) is wearing very, very thin; his constant talking over the top of others, making dramatic statements for the sake of wanting to appear hardline and almost hideous laugh make for excruciating analysis. 

It would seem those pesky foreigners out shine out players/ex players on the pitch and in the studio.

Not always the case, whilst Seedorf is fantastic and Vieira knows his onions - Juninho and Cannavaro can barely string a sentence together in English between them. I've no doubt they're excellent pundits in their native tongues and the latter is hardly helped by Chile's "One Show lite" interrogative technique but it doesn't really make for the most informative reflection. What's worse is that the once excellently understated Lee Dixon (who was fantastic on commentary duty the other day) has hung around with both Chiles and Wright for far too long and that hideous iTV4 / Men and Motors / Soccer AM "banter" appears to have crept into his punditry game.

Vialli is the pick of the foreign pundits that crops up on our stations, for me. 

I absolutely love Lawro, the saracsm makes me laugh so often. Especially yesterday when he said "you wouldn't want him measuring your carpets, would you?" after one of the referees measured a massive 10 yards. Think himself, and Steve Wilson, are probably the best commentary team so far. A couple of the new ITV ones, such as Joe Speight who does a bit of the Bundesliga for ITV. 

Punditry wise, BBC are streets ahead of ITV. Henry and Seedorf have been excellent so far, especially Henry, whilst Shearer has also been refreshingly good. Ferdinand is getting into it the further the tournament but still looks a bit wooden. Juninho struggled last night, his broken English (like Cannavaro) doesn't help his cause. ITV, on the other hand, only really have Hoddle and Dixon who have been any good. 

Presenting wise, BBC are so much better than ITV. The main presenter of Linker is so much stronger than Chiles it's unbelievable but the back-up presenters are also much better. For example, Dan Walker and Mark Chapman are much better than Matt Smith is. BBC have also got the option of Gabby Logan. 

Savage's punditry is quite odd, he starts by seeming he's about to say something really dramatic but then changes his mind mid-sentence, loses his flow and peters out.

To be fair it seemed like he was the only one who could get his head around the goal line technology goal.

On a positive note, I'm so happy that Tim Vickery is part of the 5live team. Such an intelligent and knowledgeable journalist. 

Do you read his blog on BBC? Always very insightful not only in to the football that goes on there, but the atmosphere in South America. He's under-rated and doesn't get as much recognition as deserved.

Do you read his blog on BBC? Always very insightful not only in to the football that goes on there, but the atmosphere in South America. He's under-rated and doesn't get as much recognition as deserved.

He gets loads of recognition / admiration in journalism circles, doesn't he? I don't see how he's "under-rated."

Its a bad state of affairs when Ian Wright is about mid table in the league of pundits.

Ian "Get Shaun On" Wright

He gets loads of recognition / admiration in journalism circles, doesn't he? I don't see how he's "under-rated."

Ian "Get Shaun On" Wright

I meant in the public eye. You very rarely see anyone talk about him but I guess that may be just because South American football isn't that popular over here aside from big tournaments.

Will I get in trouble if I say Seedorf is a better pundit than Henry?

No. Henry has bags of charm and definitely knows his football, very bright man. But Seedorf is fantastically intelligent and very insightful.

I like them both but Seedorf is the business.

Chiles and Dixon were bang on imo regarding feigning injury. There needs to be new rules against it as there is for diving.

It's not just the yanks who think soccer is for pussys, the vast majority of rugby-following friends always site it as a reason - grown men acting like little girls.

Even when Henry makes a somewhat pointless or debatable point he just says "you know" and smiles and it's game over he's right. I'm slightly disappointed he's bbc because it'd be amazing to see him ruin chiles

Even when Henry makes a somewhat pointless or debatable point he just says "you know" and smiles and it's game over he's right. I'm slightly disappointed he's bbc because it'd be amazing to see him ruin chiles

I think he could tell you that you're dog died and you wouldn't be upset

Chiles was spot on at half time imo. He always seems a decent presenter to me, obviously not a pundit but I think he knows as much about football as your average fan. ITV in general are much better this year than they have been in the past. BBC have got some superstars like our gary but putting people on who can't speak proper english is a bit poor.

Chiles was spot on at half time imo. He always seems a decent presenter to me, obviously not a pundit but I think he knows as much about football as your average fan. ITV in general are much better this year than they have been in the past. BBC have got some superstars like our gary but putting people on who can't speak proper english is a bit poor.

Fabio on ITV is probably worse than Juninho, but neither should be doing it as it's clear they can't understand what's going on mostly and find it very difficult to get their respective points across.

Archived