Happy Fox Posted 20 June 2014 Posted 20 June 2014 http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/david-nugent-boro-pull-out-7297329#.U6PpkVG9H-M.twitter Boro ready to top £20,000 a week wages but believe Nugent's camp are trying to play all clubs involved in race for in-demand striker 8 Shares Share Tweet +1 Email In-demand Leicester striker David Nugent takes on Bolton Wanderers goalkeeper Adam Bogdan at the Reebok Stadium last season Boro have withdrawn from the battle for David Nugent after refusing to get involved in a four-way wages arms race. Boro bosses confirmed to the Gazette they held initial talks with the in-demand Leicester striker’s representatives. They remain keen - but a senior source insists Boro won’t be used by Nugent’s camp to drive up his wage demands in talks with other clubs. The ex-England hitman, who banged in 20 goals last term to help Leicester win promotion, is out of contract next month and talking to a string of clubs. Leicester meanwhile aim to bring in firepower to boost their Premier League campaign. Ex-Boro skipper Nigel Pearson, now the Foxes boss, has offered Nugent a one-year extension to his current deal but told him he faces life on the bench. Boro were ready to top his £20,000 a week wages at Leicester and offer a two-year deal plus regular first team action. But they believe his agents are trying to play all the clubs involved - Premier League Swansea and West Ham are also keen - to drive up his wages. And Boro chiefs say they won’t get involved in an auction and will instead concentrate on other irons they have in the fire. Nugent, then of Preston, scored against Andorra in Barcelona on his only England appearance in 2007.
Steven Posted 20 June 2014 Posted 20 June 2014 If this is true, and I take it with a pinch of salt, then cheerio Nuge.
Tuna Posted 20 June 2014 Posted 20 June 2014 I would be surprised if premier league clubs were interested in Nugent. He'd hardly be first choice at any of the above clubs.
Captain... Posted 20 June 2014 Posted 20 June 2014 It is most likely his agent stirring up trouble, Nuge probably has very little to do with it, he will most likely have said to Nuge that while he still hasn't signed a contract here, then it is in his best interests to be talking to other clubs in case it falls through. He is within his rights to do so. If he isn't happy with what we are offering then he would be an idiot to not explore other avenues, rather than just sign up to something he isn't happy with.
Jon the Hat Posted 20 June 2014 Posted 20 June 2014 Not all clubs are looking for first choice strikers.
AKCJ Posted 20 June 2014 Posted 20 June 2014 He came to us because of money, why would you assume he wouldn't leave for it too?
broughtonblue Posted 20 June 2014 Posted 20 June 2014 How old is he? Thought he was in his late 20's, if so surely deserves more than a year? Also faces time on the bench, must be bringing someone else in then
Foxes Blue Blood Posted 20 June 2014 Posted 20 June 2014 if i was NP I would offer him the deal on the table if he refuses then we move on. One positive, if you believe the story, quote "told him he faces life on the bench " maybe NP has better player/s incoming?
WhispyWizard Posted 20 June 2014 Posted 20 June 2014 Doesn't surprise me at all, just let him go. Let him goooo
Matt Posted 20 June 2014 Posted 20 June 2014 I've said it in the past and i'll say it again, I want Nugent to stay, I'd offer him a contact but I wouldn't be chasing after him, I'd offer him a contact if he reject, perhaps offer a slightly improved one if he rejected that well, it's take it or leave it. Not worth chasing after. I'd be sad to see him go but he can be replaced, besides I do have my doubts how he will get on in the Premiership anyway.
Dr The Singh Posted 20 June 2014 Posted 20 June 2014 This is the world we live in, i'm sure majority of us would try to get as much cash as possible.
WhispyWizard Posted 20 June 2014 Posted 20 June 2014 He either wants another shot at the premier league, or he'll take the money from a longer contract in the Championship. Swansea, Burnley and WHU won't start him either.
Matt Posted 20 June 2014 Posted 20 June 2014 This is the world we live in, i'm sure majority of us would try to get as much cash as possible. Thats fair enough and I totally understand that, however from my perspective I have to question is he worth it? And the answer is no, if he's gonna start playing games then I think we should walk away. He deserves and improved contract and I agree with that but I hope we don't start playing silly games.
Dr The Singh Posted 20 June 2014 Posted 20 June 2014 Thats fair enough and I totally understand that, however from my perspective I have to question is he worth it? And the answer is no, if he's gonna start playing games then I think we should walk away. He deserves and improved contract and I agree with that but I hope we don't start playing silly games. Totally agree!!
Stadt Posted 20 June 2014 Posted 20 June 2014 Pearson really isn't keen on mischievous agents do Nuge could well be shooting himself in the foot here. Like Dyer leaving, it'll be a bigger loss to Nugent than it will for us.
Uncle Monty Posted 20 June 2014 Posted 20 June 2014 I can't imagine Pearson saying anything like that.
MPH Posted 20 June 2014 Posted 20 June 2014 Didn't Pearson say last week that he won't get in a bidding war for someone and if he does he'll pull out of the deal as he wants people who WANT to play for Leicester? Maybe he was talking about Nugent?
sly1 Posted 20 June 2014 Posted 20 June 2014 Thanks nugent bye bye all about the money again he won't be a number one striker anywhere else upto you mate😋
foxes_rule1978 Posted 20 June 2014 Posted 20 June 2014 He will stay, just agent rubbish really, trying to get the best deal possible...
mozartfox Posted 20 June 2014 Posted 20 June 2014 It must be a real struggle getting by on 80K a month. Agents sometimes need to remember who's interests' come first, theirs or the player they represent. I suspect NP is not happy with all this crap. Either sign before by a given deadline or go elsewhere. We can then move on and get players in that want to play for us.
DANGEROUS TIGER Posted 20 June 2014 Posted 20 June 2014 I can't blame him for wanting more money, after all, Pearson appears to be doing the same.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.