Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

Slimani

Sorry guys, haven't been on here in ages so just saw this now.

Slimani's game is suited perfectly for the Premier League, no doubt about that. He holds the ball up well, has pretty decent link up play, is brilliant in the air and you won't find a striker who works harder than him on the pitch. For a big man, he also has decent pace and can stretch a defence too, which for me is his USP, if he has one that is. Most big, tall strikers aren't that mobile.

The downsides is that he isn't that good technically. He sometimes looks clumsy with the ball at his feet, especially when running at defenders, and his finishing with the ball on the ground can be woeful at times.

He's a difficult one. Even for us Algerian fans, one minute we love him, the next we kind of wish he was on the bench. For example, in the Armenia and Romania match pre-world cup, he was woeful. I'm talking really, really bad, missed some absolute sitters. That led to him losing his spot in the first team for the Belgium match, which most supporters were fully behind. Then after Soudani's poor match he's back in and has a great game against South Korea, scores the key goal against Russia and was a threat against Germany (though for me this was a match where I would have preferred Ghilas, a much more dangerous striker with the ball to his feet). And that's not the first time something like this has happened with Slimani, he does have immense character to be able to bounce back from bad runs, and that for me is a very important characteristic for a striker.

The question of whether he'd be a good fit for Leicester is a tough one, but for me he'd be good (apparently Sporting will only accept 12 million euros, so whether that's worth it or not we'll see). I haven't seen enough of Leicester to know what kind of team you are, and tbh that's likely to change anyway from the championship to the Premier League. Most promoted clubs become counter attacking teams for most of the season in the Premier League. Slimani would be pretty perfect for that. He can run in behind and stretch a defence, he can keep hold of a long ball and his link up play is good. He would rely on good delivery into the box as he's pretty lethal in the air and that's where the majority of his goals will come from. However, if Leicester are a team who are going to dominate possession, and have intricate attacking midfielders looking to thread passes through a deep defensive line then forget it, he's not your man.

Anyway, whatever happens he's been a great story. He was playing amateur football in Algeria 4 years ago (!!!!!!). Last season he scored extremely key goals for Sporting Lisbon (pretty much kept them in the title race single handedly at times with his goals from the bench, which eventually lead to him being a starter in their team for the last 10 odd games of the season) and he also had a good world cup. He's extremely motivated to succeed and for me the Premier League is probably the perfect career move for him, with a team like Leicester being one of his better options. There are a lot of teams interested (Palace, Stoke and West Ham in the Premier League, along with another 3/4 clubs in the bundesliga) so him moving is pretty much a certainty.

And don't forget Algeria will be (baring an absolutely shocking qualifying campaign) participating in the nations cup during January/February of next year (2015). We'll probably be one of the favourites for that competition, especially considering it's held in our neighbouring country Morocco, and so he could miss quite a lot of action for his club this season, at a key part of the season too. Probably something to consider.

Leicester were a bit of a counter attacking side last season to be fair.

We sort of kept possession deep and waited to be pressed before a nifty one-two or a through ball to release the front four. Worked a treat.

Just to put things in perspective for me, what is Leicester's transfer budget reported to be this summer? Because so far you've only signed players on a free right? (Albrighton, Upson etc).

It would be quite a jump to go from those signings to Slimani for £8-10 million.

Just to put things in perspective for me, what is Leicester's transfer budget reported to be this summer? Because so far you've only signed players on a free right? (Albrighton, Upson etc).

It would be quite a jump to go from those signings to Slimani for £8-10 million.

The only figure we've really heard is £10 million from John Percy of the Telegraph, but we've supposedly put a bid in for around £6 million for Ulloa so I'm not sure how much is true. I'd imagine Slimani is the second option if we can't get Ulloa, as they both seem to play similar target man roles.

If that's not a challenge then I don't know what is.

It's tempting but I'm not going to because I could genuinely see him RT'ing it and with us being in the Premier League now you've got all kinds watching that kind of thing. I honestly think it could end badly lol

The only figure we've really heard is £10 million from John Percy of the Telegraph, but we've supposedly put a bid in for around £6 million for Ulloa so I'm not sure how much is true. I'd imagine Slimani is the second option if we can't get Ulloa, as they both seem to play similar target man roles.

If that figure is true, I'm surprised Leicester are going for either Ulloa or Slimani. Even £6 million would be quite a big chunk, for Slimani it'd probably be the whole thing.

I'd be interested to see what Leicester do in this transfer window. Will definitely be supporting you guys (after my team obviously) because of Mahrez and whichever other Algerians you'll add to the collection. Squad looks decent, it's not far off from being very competitive in my opinion.

If that figure is true, I'm surprised Leicester are going for either Ulloa or Slimani. Even £6 million would be quite a big chunk, for Slimani it'd probably be the whole thing.

I'd be interested to see what Leicester do in this transfer window. Will definitely be supporting you guys (after my team obviously) because of Mahrez and whichever other Algerians you'll add to the collection. Squad looks decent, it's not far off from being very competitive in my opinion.

Pearson likes a bargain and always trawls the market to pick up a few out of contract players.

Our owners have a fair bit of money, though, and whilst they've got one eye on financial stability, I don't doubt that they'd pay out 10m for a star signing if the manager and his scrutiny scouting team believed strongly enough it was a good investment.

Oh and I'd I'd I'

Sorry guys, haven't been on here in ages so just saw this now.

Slimani's game is suited perfectly for the Premier League, no doubt about that. He holds the ball up well, has pretty decent link up play, is brilliant in the air and you won't find a striker who works harder than him on the pitch. For a big man, he also has decent pace and can stretch a defence too, which for me is his USP, if he has one that is. Most big, tall strikers aren't that mobile.

The downsides is that he isn't that good technically. He sometimes looks clumsy with the ball at his feet, especially when running at defenders, and his finishing with the ball on the ground can be woeful at times.

He's a difficult one. Even for us Algerian fans, one minute we love him, the next we kind of wish he was on the bench. For example, in the Armenia and Romania match pre-world cup, he was woeful. I'm talking really, really bad, missed some absolute sitters. That led to him losing his spot in the first team for the Belgium match, which most supporters were fully behind. Then after Soudani's poor match he's back in and has a great game against South Korea, scores the key goal against Russia and was a threat against Germany (though for me this was a match where I would have preferred Ghilas, a much more dangerous striker with the ball to his feet). And that's not the first time something like this has happened with Slimani, he does have immense character to be able to bounce back from bad runs, and that for me is a very important characteristic for a striker.

The question of whether he'd be a good fit for Leicester is a tough one, but for me he'd be good (apparently Sporting will only accept 12 million euros, so whether that's worth it or not we'll see). I haven't seen enough of Leicester to know what kind of team you are, and tbh that's likely to change anyway from the championship to the Premier League. Most promoted clubs become counter attacking teams for most of the season in the Premier League. Slimani would be pretty perfect for that. He can run in behind and stretch a defence, he can keep hold of a long ball and his link up play is good. He would rely on good delivery into the box as he's pretty lethal in the air and that's where the majority of his goals will come from. However, if Leicester are a team who are going to dominate possession, and have intricate attacking midfielders looking to thread passes through a deep defensive line then forget it, he's not your man.

Anyway, whatever happens he's been a great story. He was playing amateur football in Algeria 4 years ago (!!!!!!). Last season he scored extremely key goals for Sporting Lisbon (pretty much kept them in the title race single handedly at times with his goals from the bench, which eventually lead to him being a starter in their team for the last 10 odd games of the season) and he also had a good world cup. He's extremely motivated to succeed and for me the Premier League is probably the perfect career move for him, with a team like Leicester being one of his better options. There are a lot of teams interested (Palace, Stoke and West Ham in the Premier League, along with another 3/4 clubs in the bundesliga) so him moving is pretty much a certainty.

And don't forget Algeria will be (baring an absolutely shocking qualifying campaign) participating in the nations cup during January/February of next year (2015). We'll probably be one of the favourites for that competition, especially considering it's held in our neighbouring country Morocco, and so he could miss quite a lot of action for his club this season, at a key part of the season too. Probably something to consider.

I can see (if brought in) Kevin Phillips working on his weaker game and finishing.

Someone raised a very good point that Vardy's finishing seemed to improve a fair bit ever since we signed Phillips and I wouldn't be surprised if the two are linked.

Read on twitter today from his and Lcfc official that we have definately put in an initial 8m bid for slimani !

Looks a great player who's great in the air and with the ball at his feet that would be superb partner for Vardy ! Exciting times ahead !!

Read on twitter today from his and Lcfc official that we have definately put in an initial 8m bid for slimani !

Looks a great player who's great in the air and with the ball at his feet that would be superb partner for Vardy ! Exciting times ahead !!

where does LCFC official say this?

Would prefer him to Campbell but its not gonna happen especially if the Ulloa deal goes ahead!

Not necessarily. Babs made a good point about Campbell being good cover for the Vardy role, first defender from the front, high energy pressing, etc.

Slimani may be a powerful aerial threat but pressing and high fitness is also his role, no? And his goal return is comparable to Campbell?

Archived