Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

9 minutes ago, adam1 said:

The scenario:

Dual carriageway.

You are in lane 2 at 70mph.

Car travelling in lane 1 at 50mph.

Car to join dual carriageway is travelling at 50mph.

Car in lane 1 and thr car to join will collide if both maintain their speeds.

Should car in lane 1 move into lane 2, forcing the car in lane 2 to brake down to 50mph

Or

Should they slow down to allow the car to join the dual carriageway?

The car joining should ease off and slot in behind the car already on the carriage way. Sure if the second lane is clear then its fine to move over, and I'd suggest at that speed the faster car will pass allowing that slower car to pull over and allowing the joining car to join safely. But the cars on the main carriageway always have right of way. The car on the dual carriageway shouldn't be easing off to let them in.

And if end up colliding, they can't drive.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

The car joining should ease off and slot in behind the car already on the carriage way. Sure if the second lane is clear then its fine to move over, and I'd suggest at that speed the faster car will pass allowing that slower car to pull over and allowing the joining car to join safely. But the cars on the main carriageway always have right of way. The car on the dual carriageway shouldn't be easing off to let them in.

And if end up colliding, they can't drive.

If the choice was strictly as I stated, would it be change lane to slow the other driver down or slow down themselves?

3 minutes ago, adam1 said:

If the choice was strictly as I stated, would it be change lane to slow the other driver down or slow down themselves?

Neither. Carry on and the joining car must adjust their speed to join the carriageway safely.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Neither. Carry on and the joining car must adjust their speed to join the carriageway safely.

Or just toss one of these into the approach lane:

Police%20stinger%20moped%20crime%202.jpg

23 minutes ago, adam1 said:

This is turning out to be a bad example.

The point is why the fcuk should I have to slam my brakes from 80 to 50 cos some effing tosspot pulls into my lane instead of slowing down 5 or so mph.

You shouldn't, they shouldn't pull across in front if it's not safe, and they don't have to pull across at all because they have right of way and its up to the driver joining to join safely. 

If the lanes clear and you don't pull across it's a but twatish, but you're not obliged to do so.

2 hours ago, adam1 said:

The scenario:

Dual carriageway.

Should car in lane 1 move into lane 2, forcing the car in lane 2 to brake down to 50mph

Or

Car joining should either slow down or speed up. I'd speed up because the car in lane 1 will see the car joining and slow down 9/10 and you get a scenario where both cars are slowing down, still matching their speed. Seen it loads of times.

41 minutes ago, adam1 said:

The point is why the fcuk should I have to slam my brakes from 80 to 50 cos some effing tosspot pulls into my lane instead of slowing down 5 or so mph.

To be honest, you shouldn't, but in that situation it is probably wise to always consider it as being a possibility (especially given some of the people on the road these days) and maintain a defensive bubble. Although the highway code puts the onus on the joining traffic, in reality I would argue that it is really a case of judgement for all drivers on whether they should speed up, slow down, or hold off overtaking until you are sure that somebody isn't going to stupidly veer in front of you. In the ideal world nobody should be joining at 50mph (being stuck behind someone that doesn't seem to grasp the intent of a slip road is to enable you to accelerate to  the speed of the prevailing traffic is one of my pet hates), and nobody should be pottering along at 50mph (again probably following the delusion that driving way under the speed limit makes them a safe driver). Unfortunately it's not an ideal world, and it's probably a good idea to always drive with that in mind.

4 hours ago, adam1 said:

If you were travelling at 80 you were going too fast, it’s all your fault. :trumpet:

5 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

The person in lane 1 should move into lane 2 to allow the car joining the road in safely. Unless your gammon. Then just don't change your speed or lane because. Just because.

They aren't obliged to by law. Like I said earlier, if lane 2 is clear, then you're a bit of twat if you don't move over, but you don't have to. 

8 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

The person in lane 1 should move into lane 2 to allow the car joining the road in safely. Unless your gammon. Then just don't change your speed or lane because. Just because.

Gammon?

21 hours ago, adam1 said:

The scenario:

Dual carriageway.

Or

Onus is on the the car joining. Good manners should be that lane one would adjust to help them, but in reality it’s all on them.

I've always thought you're a bit of a cvnt if you're in Lane 1 and you don't pull in to Lane 2 to let a joining car through. 

The responsibility is on everyone really though. 

If you're exiting the slip road/joining traffic, don't come bombing down and make it awkward for yourself. Be aware that there may be traffic so check your mirrors/surroundings and join when it's safe. 

If you're in Lane 1 and you're approaching the area where traffic joins, surely be a bit presumptuous and aware that you may have to move in to Lane 2. There's gonna be a possibility a car joins so either slow speed (not drastically) or be prepared to move over. 

If you're in Lane 2, be prepared you may have to move over in to Lane 3 or accordingly adjust speed to let a car in Lane 1 in to your lane so that a car can join the road. Obviously on a dual carriageway you'd like to think drivers would be aware to slow down to make space just in case simply because there is no 3rd lane. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I've always thought you're a bit of a cvnt if you're in Lane 1 and you don't pull in to Lane 2 to let a joining car through. 

The responsibility is on everyone really though. 

If you're exiting the slip road/joining traffic, don't come bombing down and make it awkward for yourself. Be aware that there may be traffic so check your mirrors/surroundings and join when it's safe. 

If you're in Lane 1 and you're approaching the area where traffic joins, surely be a bit presumptuous and aware that you may have to move in to Lane 2. There's gonna be a possibility a car joins so either slow speed (not drastically) or be prepared to move over. 

If you're in Lane 2, be prepared you may have to move over in to Lane 3 or accordingly adjust speed to let a car in Lane 1 in to your lane so that a car can join the road. Obviously on a dual carriageway you'd like to think drivers would be aware to slow down to make space just in case simply because there is no 3rd lane. 

I’m pretty sure this whole scenario is what the bipper was invented for, all 3 cars had good enough reason to bip the horns and I hope they all did. Three cheers for the bipper, the solution to all traffic related problems. Hip hip........

9 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I’m pretty sure this whole scenario is what the bipper was invented for, all 3 cars had good enough reason to bip the horns and I hope they all did. Three cheers for the bipper, the solution to all traffic related problems. Hip hip........

Wtf is a bipper? lol

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, adam1 said:

The scenario:

Dual carriageway.

Or

I believe that the vehicles on the main carriageway have priority of those joining from a slip road. A driver on the slip road should adjust speed to enable them to join the main carriageway safely. 

Edit: Just checked on DVLA Highway Code...

Ultimately, it is up to the vehicle joining the motorway to give way, if necessary, and filter on without causing any trouble. The Highway Code says that traffic joining the motorway should 'give priority to traffic already on the motorway' and 'adjust speed to fit safely into the traffic flow in the left-hand lane'.15 Feb 2008

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Next time I’m feeling randy I’m gonna tell the wife I’ve got the bipper :D

We always called it "papping" your horn. If someone "papped" repeatedly, they were called "pappers".

Now I call those types "fappers". 

(To understand this, you'll need to know what fapping is, kids).

On 27/05/2019 at 06:30, Grebfromgrebland said:

Surely just the zipper merge...

image.png.e633234519913aed5589e44962f270b8.png

• Like 1