Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

People who think their indicator gives them the right of way. Nobody has to get out of your way just because you're in the wrong lane and decide you want to go another direction. Bells

No but if you see them indicating you should let them in and not be a bell yourself.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

No but if you see them indicating you should let them in and not be a bell yourself.

Yes if you've seen them and if it's safe to do so, and if they aren't being queue dodging toss pots... but signalling does not give people the right to just pull across in front of you. You wait until safe to manouvre, it is not their lane, their right of way and it's down to them to avoid others and not the other way around. So take it on the chin that you can't read road signs and sit it out until there is space or someone gives up their right of way. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Babylon said:

People who think their indicator gives them the right of way. Nobody has to get out of your way just because you're in the wrong lane and decide you want to go another direction. Bells

You'd make a great traffic cop .....

images.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Well that’s bollocks. I had somebody indicate into the outside lane of the M1 in front of me earlier on in the week, he was undertaking and only half way in front of my car when he flicked his indicator on and started to manoeuvre. I was doing at least 70mph at the time and keeping up with the flow of traffic in front of me. Was I being a bell as well? 

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

Yes if you've seen them and if it's safe to do so, and if they aren't being queue dodging toss pots... but signalling does not give people the right to just pull across in front of you. You wait until safe to manouvre, it is not their lane, their right of way and it's down to them to avoid others and not the other way around. So take it on the chin that you can't read road signs and sit it out until there is space or someone gives up their right of way. 

I dunno mate, in heavy traffic there is unlikely to be a space and most normal people would allow someone into their lane if they needed to switch lanes and indicated their intention to do so. It doesn't mean they can't read road signs but changing lanes is part and parcel of going from one place to another.

Personally, I'd let some one in front of me if they needed to come in to my lane that's just me. Just like I'd slow down or stop if I see an old person or young kid trying to cross the road so they can cross safely. 

I'm the kind of driver you probably hate.

8 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

I dunno mate, in heavy traffic there is unlikely to be a space and most normal people would allow someone into their lane if they needed to switch lanes and indicated their intention to do so. It doesn't mean they can't read road signs but changing lanes is part and parcel of going from one place to another.

Personally, I'd let some one in front of me if they needed to come in to my lane that's just me. Just like I'd slow down or stop if I see an old person or young kid trying to cross the road so they can cross safely. 

But if you can read the road signs you wouldn't find yourself in the wrong lane needing to cut in front of other road users? 

13 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

It's not about people letting others in, most of us do that. It's the people that put the indicator on and immediately move over, often when there isn't room. Someone did it to me this morning, barely clear of the front of my car, started to move in front as they indicate. You supposed to indicate, check it's safe and then move over.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

I don't think you're understanding me. If someone is driving down the motorway and sticks their indicator on and WAITS for me to concede my right of way they are going to get let in. If you flick your indicator on, let it flash for .5 of a second and start the manoeuvre of cutting me up you can get to ****.

At no point have I said I'm not letting anyone in if they indicate, I'm saying it doesn't give you the right of way and it's down to everyone else as to whether you get let in or not, so wait for them. 

Examples. People who go up Soar Valley way, go up the left hand lane to the very top ignoring god knows how many left turn only signs and then tick their indicator on and expect everything who has been sat in traffic for 10 minutes to let them on their merry way. Nope, not happening. (Note: It's clear as day the people who've made a genuine error as opposed to the queue jumping tossers.)

People who totally ignore basic rules of the road, like if there are two lanes coming on to the roundabout, the lefthand lane is clearly not going to be for turning right. Them putting their indicator on doesn't suddenly magic away the issue and everyone else shouldn't have to part like the red sea so that they aren't inconvenienced by having to go in the wrong direction and then turn around. 

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Facecloth said:

It's not about people letting others in, most of us do that. It's the people that put the indicator on and immediately move over, often when there isn't room. Someone did it to me this morning, barely clear of the front of my car, started to move in front as they indicate. You supposed to indicate, check it's safe and then move over.

No no no... it's indicate, manoeuvre and everyone else moves out the way. I'm sure that's what they teach now, no mirrors or checking. 

Just saw someone in a cabriolet ignore a red light on Melton Road and get bumped by a car properly crossing from Thurmaston village onto Humberstone Lane. Feel sorry for the young lady innocently going on green. 

Edited by Arkie Bennett

Technically not on the roads per se but people who find themselves near a zebra-crossing but have no intention of wanting to cross, therefore making drivers pretty much stop to a halt needlessly. Usually waiting for friends/family or a bit lost. Be lost about 5 metres up the path, please!

This is outside Bedford train station. You get people who walk out of the station (not like those in the picture clearly walking away) and stop at the bit of the path (between the yellow railing and the lamppost) where anyone else would when they want to cross. But you stop cos you think they want to cross and then they just turn around cos they never had any intention of doing so lol  

image.thumb.png.0cc3265929118734476427c808f7fbf1.png

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

People who press the button at a crossing when there is no traffic about, causing the traffic to stop when the person has already crossed the road and is about 20 yards down the road. I'm sure only people who don't drive do this. 

I do it all the time, and I drive. I just like to stand the other side of the road to see how long I would have had to wait to cross the road if there had been any traffic.

Edited by norwichfox
  • Haha 2

On ‎22‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 18:38, Facecloth said:

There's a difference between anticipation, reading the traffic situation and making safe adjustments and just being plain selfish and ignorant

• Like 2

The roundabout this week as you hit the outskirts of Blaby at either direction coming down from town along the Lutterworth Road or out of Blaby itself has been a piss take this week. 

Why?

Idiots who can't be arsed to queue along the dual carriageway heading up into town and therefore do a 360 around the roundabout to avoid the traffic queue.  Numpties.

1 hour ago, Legend_in_blue said:

The roundabout this week as you hit the outskirts of Blaby at either direction coming down from town along the Lutterworth Road or out of Blaby itself has been a piss take this week. 

Why?

Idiots who can't be arsed to queue along the dual carriageway heading up into town and therefore do a 360 around the roundabout to avoid the traffic queue.  Numpties.

I did that once, by accident I might add. Did save a me few minutes though :whistle:

11 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Why?

Equally annoying are the twats going straight over the roundabout from Blaby town centre who just stop on the roundabout, blocking access to anybody actually wanting to turn right. 

12 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Why?

I do this sometimes to be fair (not in blaby), I’m not trying to gain an advantage, it’s usually because I’m unfamiliar with the local area and didn’t move into the left hand lane before the queue started and people seem reluctant to help me correct my error.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I do this sometimes to be fair (not in blaby), I’m not trying to gain an advantage, it’s usually because I’m unfamiliar with the local area and didn’t move into the left hand lane before the queue started and people seem reluctant to help me correct my error.

Image result for don't believe you gif

Lost our parking fine appeal. Wife had an appointment to visit the dentist, but didn't register her car to use the car park. Despite owning the car park the dentist can't stop the fine, even though she was there legitimately.

Fine is basically for not registering the car properly.

It was raining on the day and the wife got the kids out the back and ran for door, so didn't see the signs. They weren't there 3 weeks previously when I had my appointment!

£100 for the fine and 5 lost customers for the dentist.

Edited by simFox

18 minutes ago, simFox said:

Lost our parking fine appeal. Wife had an appointment to visit the dentist, but didn't register her car to use the car park. Despite owning the car park the dentist can't stop the fine, even though she was there legitimately.

Fine is basically for not registering the car properly.

It was raining on the day and the wife got the kids out the back and ran for door, so didn't see the signs. They weren't there 3 weeks previously when I had my appointment!

£100 for the fine and 5 lost customers for the dentist.

You should take them to court on grounds of new rules and inadequate signage.

19 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Why?

Done that occasionally myself.

Feel a touch guilty yes (as it's cheeky) but it's not illegal.

The scenario:

Dual carriageway.

You are in lane 2 at 70mph.

Car travelling in lane 1 at 50mph.

Car to join dual carriageway is travelling at 50mph.

Car in lane 1 and thr car to join will collide if both maintain their speeds.

Should car in lane 1 move into lane 2, forcing the car in lane 2 to brake down to 50mph

Or

Should they slow down to allow the car to join the dual carriageway?