Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

TALLGATING! It seems to be a rife in Norfolk where I live. 

It is always the same grey haired, 50-65 male that is stuck up my hoop in some hairdressers car. Only once have I had a women driving too close and never any young 'boy racer' types.

I lost it a while back. A gentleman was so close to me on a short, winding piece of national speed limit road that I couldn't see his plate. It was about the 5th time in the last 2 months and I flipped. I slowed and waved him back and then his wife started to film me while he gave me the finger and willy puller sign. I drove at 40mph to the next village, parked sideways in the road and tried to encourage the gentleman out of his vehicle to discuss it. He stayed put and I went on my way, having told him how displeased I was with his driving.

A month later the police knock my door and I was issued with a caution for public disorder. The gentleman, even though driving dangerously suffered no penalty as I had no proof and I admitted to my choice of words when conversing with him.

Am I just unlucky with these drivers? Is it a Norfolk thing? What's your experiences?  

49 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Absolute tubes who bob it at slip road merges and come to a crawl or stop completely. It's so dangerous.

Had one of these yesterday, old lady in a Matiz grinding to a halt to merge onto Lubbesthorpe Way.

Actually think also the people with a horrendous lack of awareness who refuse to move over into the (completely clear) outside lane of a duel carriage to let someone merge on and not get in their way. Drives me crazy as they toodle on.

Followed a taxi into Hinckley yesterday. The amount of black fumes from the exhaust was alarming in itself. Then as I got closer, there was only one brake light working. Then... as it travelled along Leicester Road it accelerated leaving a trail of noxious carbon in it's wake and must have been doing 70 in a 50 then 50 in a 30. 

I got the reg plate and the taxi licence number on my phone and reported it to the council. 

They've replied and are taking action. 

3 minutes ago, adam1 said:

Saw this melt on Sunday. Gammon.

20190512_124359.jpg

What am I missing? 

:huh::)

Edit: Is it the leave means leave sticker or the other one I can’t read in the flag shape?

Edited by Nick

On 17/05/2019 at 22:04, Swan Lesta said:

What am I missing? 

:huh::)

Edit: Is it the leave means leave sticker or the other one I can’t read in the flag shape?

Leave means leave.

The other sticker states "free tommy robinson".

• Haha 1

On 17/05/2019 at 12:33, Kalacs_Orthopedic_Shoe said:

TALLGATING! It seems to be a rife in Norfolk where I live. 

It is always the same grey haired, 50-65 male that is stuck up my hoop in some hairdressers car. Only once have I had a women driving too close and never any young 'boy racer' types.

I lost it a while back. A gentleman was so close to me on a short, winding piece of national speed limit road that I couldn't see his plate. It was about the 5th time in the last 2 months and I flipped. I slowed and waved him back and then his wife started to film me while he gave me the finger and willy puller sign. I drove at 40mph to the next village, parked sideways in the road and tried to encourage the gentleman out of his vehicle to discuss it. He stayed put and I went on my way, having told him how displeased I was with his driving.

A month later the police knock my door and I was issued with a caution for public disorder. The gentleman, even though driving dangerously suffered no penalty as I had no proof and I admitted to my choice of words when conversing with him.

Am I just unlucky with these drivers? Is it a Norfolk thing? What's your experiences?  

For me the level of driving in Norfolk has been shocking since I have been here, never used to feel any sort of road rage back home yet now I seem to leave the house already fuming as I know it'll only take a few minutes before some clown has nearly hit me head on after cutting a corner on a blind bend doing about 60mph....the council have even had to re do the lane options at the roundabouts on the new NDR road as it was to complicated for many to pick the correct lane to be in resulting in multiple incidents.

I’ve driven back and fourth to Edinburgh over the last few weeks and the standard of driving I’ve witnessed has been appalling. Tailgating, reckless overtaking, reckless lane changing, people on mobile phones, sudden unnecessary braking, ridiculously fast drivers, ridiculously slow drivers, traffic light jumping.......etc. We are literally risking our lives every day on the road now, why has the standard declined so greatly, so quickly?

Edited by Strokes
  • Like 1

Undertook a van on the a50 yesterday (derbyshire) He sat in lane 2  (dual carriageway part) for a number of miles and had the opportunity to pull across. 

I undertook and beeped. When in front I indicated left to suggest he moves across. Flashed and gesticulated at in response. 

I saw him in the distance in my rear view... still in the lane.

6 hours ago, adam1 said:

Undertook a van on the a50 yesterday (derbyshire) He sat in lane 2  (dual carriageway part) for a number of miles and had the opportunity to pull across. 

I undertook and beeped. When in front I indicated left to suggest he moves across. Flashed and gesticulated at in response. 

I saw him in the distance in my rear view... still in the lane.

One of the hundreds of knobheads who don't get lane discipline. It's rife on motorways and dual carriageways nationwide. In particular, in our area, coming off the M1 north at 21A and staying in lane 2 on the A46. Even some "professional" truck drivers do it.

Also M1 south and north between the M6 and Northampton junctions, where it's a 4 lane "smart motorway". So many people will not move into lane 1 and sit for MILES in lane 2 or 3.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Parafox said:

One of the hundreds of knobheads who don't get lane discipline. It's rife on motorways and dual carriageways nationwide. In particular, in our area, coming off the M1 north at 21A and staying in lane 2 on the A46. Even some "professional" truck drivers do it.

Also M1 south and north between the M6 and Northampton junctions, where it's a 4 lane "smart motorway". So many people will not move into lane 1 and sit for MILES in lane 2 or 3.

I occaisionally do a run from west London M25 and up the M1. 

I completely disregard the highways code on several parts of this journey as I know the traffic has built up because lanes 2 and 3 are full. Lane 1 is always empty....

8 hours ago, Strokes said:

I’ve driven back and fourth to Edinburgh over the last few weeks and the standard of driving I’ve witnessed has been appalling. Tailgating, reckless overtaking, reckless lane changing, people on mobile phones, sudden unnecessary braking, ridiculously fast drivers, ridiculously slow drivers, traffic light jumping.......etc. We are literally risking our lives every day on the road now, why has the standard declined so greatly, so quickly?

I think the standard of driving reflects today's society...

Everyone looking out for number one

No manners, respect or courtesy for others

Entitled

Always in a rush

Stressed & high adrenaline = not thinking straight

Wedded to devices

Can only see it getting worse mate. I hate driving these days and wherever possible I let the train take the strain instead.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Entitled

Always in a rush

Wedded to devices

Can only see it getting worse mate. I hate driving these days and wherever possible I let the train take the strain instead.

I wish the train was an option for me but it’s not much use me turning up on site with no ladders or drills. 

The last company I worked for we used the trains a lot, as it was just maintenance and I could get away with hand tools a laptop and smoke poles.

3 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I wish the train was an option for me but it’s not much use me turning up on site with no ladders or drills. 

The last company I worked for we used the trains a lot, as it was just maintenance and I could get away with hand tools a laptop and smoke poles.

Yeah I appreciate it’s not always practical to take the train in some lines of work.

I’ll do just about anything to avoid driving these days. Last week I was working in Glasgow and 15/20 years ago I’d probably have driven but I flew there and back for £95 which I think is great value and a lot less stressful. 

Hopefully by the time my kids are driving everything will then be automated and safe :fc:

8 hours ago, Strokes said:

27 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Entitled

Always in a rush

Wedded to devices

In preparation for when my daughter is old enough to learn to drive, I've been giving a running commentary when we drive somewhere, of what I'm doing, what I'm responding to, what other drivers are doing etc.

I seem to be spending 90% of my time saying, "look at that dickhead..."

• Haha 3

Last week I suffered the 'if you overtake me you threaten my masculinity' merchant, who thought matching my speed going downhill on the Taddington bypass (for those that know it) was a jolly good idea. At 70-80mph, when approaching a narrowing of the road as well as bends, less than funny or clever.

Of course, having failed to either kill me or stay ahead of me, he proceeded to drive as close as possible to me, so I pulled over and allowed him to pass. Clearly, this wasn't enough for this individual, who then tried to rile me by driving beneath the speed limit. Happily, I had no interest in a fight, so he didn't get what he wanted, and I was very pleased he carried on into Bakewell, as I was turning towards Chesterfield. No doubt that ruined his day.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Last week I suffered the 'if you overtake me you threaten my masculinity' merchant, who thought matching my speed going downhill on the Taddington bypass (for those that know it) was a jolly good idea. At 70-80mph, when approaching a narrowing of the road as well as bends, less than funny or clever.

Of course, having failed to either kill me or stay ahead of me, he proceeded to drive as close as possible to me, so I pulled over and allowed him to pass. Clearly, this wasn't enough for this individual, who then tried to rile me by driving beneath the speed limit. Happily, I had no interest in a fight, so he didn't get what he wanted, and I was very pleased he carried on into Bakewell, as I was turning towards Chesterfield. No doubt that ruined his day.

It's times like this I regret not having James Bond type gadgets with which to blow them off the road.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Buce said:

It's times like this I regret not having James Bond type gadgets with which to blow them off the road.

Sadly such behaviour is frowned upon up in the hills. I did however, get his numberplate, not that I can do a damn thing with it.

Don't really drive much these days, but have noticed a degradation in ability...notably in the way red lights at pedestrian crossings are seen as suggestions rather than instructions.

Lost count of the number of times I've nearly been flattened by some goon sailing through on red. And it's not when it's just flipped from amber either - it's often well into the beeping signal to cross.

And I don't think it's just entitlement or stupidity ( though, let's face it, these qualities are hardly uncommon). It's often some div with a phone to their ear who just doesn't register the red light.

Coming round to the view that people should undergo some kind of intelligence test before they're allowed to possess a smartphone...

42 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Don't really drive much these days, but have noticed a degradation in ability...notably in the way red lights at pedestrian crossings are seen as suggestions rather than instructions.

Lost count of the number of times I've nearly been flattened by some goon sailing through on red. And it's not when it's just flipped from amber either - it's often well into the beeping signal to cross.

And I don't think it's just entitlement or stupidity ( though, let's face it, these qualities are hardly uncommon). It's often some div with a phone to their ear who just doesn't register the red light.

Coming round to the view that people should undergo some kind of intelligence test before they're allowed to possess a smartphone...

There are lots of examples I see of "optional" pedestrian crossing lights. Foxhunter is bad for it, but I've seen loads of other examples and all types of people guilty of it. Old, young and the hard men in their 4x4s.

On 20/05/2019 at 12:24, Stoopid said:

On my drive to work this morning I pulled up when the lights changed to red at the old flyover roundabout on Belgrave Road. I had stopped, but the red light didn't deter two drivers behind me in the other lane from sailing through. There's no enforcement and no deterrent.

Then as I walked the last bit towards work I had to play my daily game of frogger with, on this occasion, two speeding drivers completely ignoring the red light on the pedestrian crossing on St Matthews Way. A woman was knocked over there a few weeks ago, but nothing is done about the dangerous driving.

Edited by Arkie Bennett