Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

4 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

So you couldn’t have a car in the middle lane doing 65 and one on the outside lane doing 65? The road is still congested. Therefore I can stay in lane 1 doing no faster than 70 and be allowed to continue. This is what I’m referring to. 

I can see why you think this, but 2 cars doing the same speed in lanes 2 and 3 does not count as congestion. If all 3 lanes are full and all travelling at 65, then lane 1 speeds up a bit, then I guess, technically you are correct. TBF this does happen quite a lot on the M6 where there are several miles of roadworks and a 50mph speed limit.

38 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I can see why you think this, but 2 cars doing the same speed in lanes 2 and 3 does not count as congestion. If all 3 lanes are full and all travelling at 65, then lane 1 speeds up a bit, then I guess, technically you are correct. TBF this does happen quite a lot on the M6 where there are several miles of roadworks and a 50mph speed limit.

Does there have to be a certain number of cars to be described as congested? I would have said if you are being blocked from free flowing traffic then the road is congested. This could be where my misunderstanding stems from

Came to a junction and pull up behind a car idling there not indicating, nothing coming either way. Guy was sat there sending a text!

Notices me behind him after about 5 seconds, pulls off (not indicating), we come to the end of the road, I'm going left, he's going right.

I look over and there he is, still sending a text before driving off towards the A1 (not indicating again).

Total idiot!

Edited by Tuna

4 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

Anyone ever drive past the KP at night? Every time I do, the lights change to Red just outside the Holiday Inn for a couple of seconds, max. Pointless and quite dangerous if someone behind is speeding.

Aka, the David Pleat defence. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

Anyone ever drive past the KP at night? Every time I do, the lights change to Red just outside the Holiday Inn for a couple of seconds, max. Pointless and quite dangerous if someone behind is speeding.

I read this as the stadium's lights turn red lol 

• Haha 1

On 25/03/2019 at 11:36, kingcarr21 said:

Does there have to be a certain number of cars to be described as congested? I would have said if you are being blocked from free flowing traffic then the road is congested. This could be where my misunderstanding stems from

Synoms of congested: crowded, overcrowded, full, overfull, overflowing, full to overflowing/bursting, crammed full, cram-full, thronged, packed, jammed, teeming, swarming, overloaded 

To answer the question... a lot. :D

On 27/03/2019 at 06:36, Bellend Sebastian said:

This'll be popular in some quarters, rather less so in others I suspect:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47715415

What this version of the story doesn't include is that the UK regulator has supposedly said it will mirror the EU standards whether or not we're still in it

Limiting speed is more dangerous than not. 

Braking and accelerating (often to above the speed limit) can both be used to avoid an incident - a potential incident caused by a third party with no fault of your own.

2 hours ago, adam1 said:

Limiting speed is more dangerous than not. 

Braking and accelerating (often to above the speed limit) can both be used to avoid an incident - a potential incident caused by a third party with no fault of your own.

I don't disagree, though I suspect the article is just something to pull peoples' plonkers and get them shaking their heads at bloody EU rules. It's made fairly clear that any system introduced can be easily bypassed to enable you to go faster if needed. Perhaps the real question is with all these black boxes in our cars, will our insurance premiums drop? No, I suspect not.

• Like 1

Had a pearler last night: Driving home on a poorly lit national limit single carriageway at around half ten when the car ahead slams his brakes on:  There was a motorcyclist (not a moped, a proper bike) with an L plate doing just over 30mph. Absurd driving.

When you're joining from a slip road and drivers who don't move across to the next/middle lane (when it's clear to do so) to give you space to join the road. Total lack of awareness of the road and adjoining traffic. They're more of a danger to anyone else in that moment yet they're so blissfully unaware.

5 hours ago, Tuna said:

People driving whilst on their phone, I see this almost every day.

Yep, I only drive about 25 miles a day but in that time I’ll see a couple of people on phones.

What confuses me is the people who are on their phones having a conversation in a car that I would be very surprised if it didn’t have hands free. 

Also as I go up soar valley way when in traffic the amount of people that are looking at their phones whilst I’m crawling traffic. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Yep, I only drive about 25 miles a day but in that time I’ll see a couple of people on phones.

What confuses me is the people who are on their phones having a conversation in a car that I would be very surprised if it didn’t have hands free. 

Also as I go up soar valley way when in traffic the amount of people that are looking at their phones whilst I’m crawling traffic. 

Was a guy doing it yesterday, constantly. Must have been beeped at like 3 times because the queue was moving and he wasn't.

On 15/02/2019 at 20:25, murphy said:

Duelling lorries on the motorway.  

Why do they have to try to overtake when one is going about half a mile per hour faster than the other thus creating a rolling road block for about 4 miles?

The amount of pheasants that think it’s a great idea to saunter across an eight lane motorway in their own time.I know they appear this time of year and also autumn,however I swear there’s more this year.The hard shoulder is knee deep in dead pheasants.

I've almost just been run over this morning.

A bus lane and a normal lane, a coach is in the bus lane stopped at the red light. I step out and a car just carries on through the lights as if they weren't there. Now I don't think they could see the left side light as the bus was blocking it but still ffs. Was probs going 20-30mph so if it had been a second later then I may have spent my Sunday in a hospital bed. 

Driving through St Ives earlier (the Cambridge one) I ended up behind a red Mazda 2 with a PL Champions sticker in the back window and an LCFC air conditioner hanging from her rear-view.  10/10 would get stuck behind again.

And back to the groans: Spent 10 minutes at a slow level crossing because the lady in front slammed her brakes on when the lights started flashing even though she was basically on the crossing and we could have both easily made it across before the reds came on.

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

Driving through St Ives earlier (the Cambridge one) I ended up behind a red Mazda 2 with a PL Champions sticker in the back window and an LCFC air conditioner hanging from her rear-view.  10/10 would get stuck behind again.

That could have been @Izzy