Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

1 hour ago, stix said:

Id be fuming. Though it’s not actually against the law is it? I remember watching something on tv fairly recently about this. I don’t think legally you can do much about it. It’s rife around areas where lots of people commute by train into London I think. Infuriatingly ignorant. 

I just googled it and you’re right:

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/lifestyle/cars/parking-drive-law-police-trespassing/

That is pretty messed up, they were actually blocking access to our flat and the one above. There might have been more of a case, but it is still crazy that you can’t do anything if someone parks on your drive. If they park in front of my drive they get a ticket but parking on it is apparently fine.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/local-news/latest-crash-notorious-collision-blackspot-2834430

So a road near to where I live, not the best of roads to navigate but pretty straight forward if you take your time and more importantly look left, right and in front. Yet still we have accident after accident, no doubt due to going to fast. 

Curious about this trespassing on a driveway issue, would you be within your right to remove the car, ie pushing it off your drive, providing you don’t damage said car? There’s no way I’d let someone get away with doing it on mine! 

27 minutes ago, Koke said:

Aggressive drivers baffle me. What's the point?

I suppose it depends what you mean:

There's a roundabout over the M11 just south of Cambridge where the southwards exit is 2 lanes which merge after about 150 yds, barely enough to pull out of lane and pass a lorry or slow driver if absolutely necessary, yet there's often some genius in an Audi who uses it to speed past freely moving but congested traffic then dangerously force their way back into the queue having saved themselves about 3 seconds on a stretch of road where they're going to be stuck in single file traffic for the next few miles in which case obviously there is no point.

Of course on the flip side the person doing 35 on an empty 40 stretch who gesticulated madly at me after I passed clearly thought I was an "aggressive" driver in which case I say the point is to be able to travel at a reasonable pace and not be held hostage by substandard drivers.

On 02/05/2019 at 14:21, Captain... said:

Not quite on the roads, but someone came and parked on my drive. There’s parking restrictions between 2 and 3 so to visit one of my neighbours they just parked on my drive, my car was parked on my drive there was barely enough space but she still decided to park on my drive and block access to our front door. 

I’m just fuming, she seemed really bemused as to why I would be upset saying it’s only for an hour. Who the fvck just parks on someone’s drive?

On 03/05/2019 at 17:37, stix said:

Id be fuming. Though it’s not actually against the law is it? I remember watching something on tv fairly recently about this. I don’t think legally you can do much about it. It’s rife around areas where lots of people commute by train into London I think. Infuriatingly ignorant. 

1 hour ago, Sir Shep said:

Curious about this trespassing on a driveway issue, would you be within your right to remove the car, ie pushing it off your drive, providing you don’t damage said car? There’s no way I’d let someone get away with doing it on mine! 

This topic cropped up once before.

Where I live, parents were doing it quite frequently while they dropped their kids off at the local school. One of my neighbours parked his car across the end of their drive and blocked the offending vehicle in, then refused to answer their door for the day. It didn't happen again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Of course on the flip side the person doing 35 on an empty 40 stretch who gesticulated madly at me after I passed clearly thought I was an "aggressive" driver in which case I say the point is to be able to travel at a reasonable pace and not be held hostage by substandard drivers.

If I remember correctly, there's something in the Highway Code that says a driver should keep up with the general speed of the traffic. There's many that don't do that and I think you're not doing wrong by overtaking these, usually elderly, drivers. 

I was behind a car which was behind a JCB doing 30 in a 60. The car driver made no effort to attempt an overtake so I indicated, pulled out and performed a box overtake manoeuvre. Looking in my rear view, I saw the old guy giving me the willy puller wrist shake.

Dick !!

19 minutes ago, Parafox said:

If I remember correctly, there's something in the Highway Code that says a driver should keep up with the general speed of the traffic. There's many that don't do that and I think you're not doing wrong by overtaking these, usually elderly, drivers. 

I was behind a car which was behind a JCB doing 30 in a 60. The car driver made no effort to attempt an overtake so I indicated, pulled out and performed a box overtake manoeuvre. Looking in my rear view, I saw the old guy giving me the willy puller wrist shake.

Dick !!

When I was having lessons many moons ago I remember being told to keep within the specified speed limit, whilst also maintaining the speed of the traffic around me. 

When every sunken access (manhole, but I didn't want to be sexist) cover is right in your wheel tracks and before you can avoid it, bang.. bang, front and rear wheels drop into it. Very irritating.

On 05/05/2019 at 18:32, Sir Shep said:

I'd pay someone to tow it to the middle of nowhere and just leave it at the side of the road. Surely that's legal as long as the car isn't damaged?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

I'd pay someone to tow it to the middle of nowhere and just leave it at the side of the road. Surely that's legal as long as the car isn't damaged?

Its always legal if you don't get caught!

Had to react fast to avoid ending some cvnt on a bike who decided it was more worthwhile to gun it under me instead of waiting for me to pull in front of the vehicle we'd just passed.  Ironically it was one of those bleeding heart twats with one of those "polite notice" hi vis vests made to look like a cop uniform letting us all know we don't pay enough attention to bikes. Cvnt.

Somebody parked on my old driveway once. He was the same fella that used to block me in and park on the verge.

On the day he parked in my actual driveway, a strange occurrence took place. The handbrake on his car mysteriously failed and the car rolled back into the road blocking it. Next to a busy school, children crossed dangerously around the stranded vehicle and traffic built up in both directions. Upon the mans return from picking up his child people were very cross with him. He of course was a complete arse back to them all and a fat man got out of a BMW and punched him in the face in front of his child.

Ah well.

Why does it seem that it's now the minority of drivers that go around corners properly? I get it when it's an incredibly tight corner that you may slightly edge over the white line, but I've seen so many people practically on the complete opposite side of the road when cornering. Quite often it's because they're desperately rushing to beat oncoming traffic - I guess two wrongs makes a right for them. 

In my wild and reckless youth, i parked in some empty apartment spaces, we took off to the show... returned 3 hours later to be blocked in.

Most embarrassing 20 minutes begging to be let out

Edited by ozleicester
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Why does it seem that it's now the minority of drivers that go around corners properly? I get it when it's an incredibly tight corner that you may slightly edge over the white line, but I've seen so many people practically on the complete opposite side of the road when cornering. Quite often it's because they're desperately rushing to beat oncoming traffic - I guess two wrongs makes a right for them. 

Nothing worse than being leant over, committed on a bike to find somebody in a car taking a trip over the white line coming toward you on your side of the road.

• Like 1

I'm on holiday in Rhodes, and following some idiot driving like it's his first lesson in a rented Audi softtop for a few miles (bear in mind I'm driving a Toyota Aygo, not much get up and go). Finally find a safe stretch of road to overtake and as soon as I'm level with him he puts his foot down.

Yelled all sorts of shit at him, he turned off the main road soon after so I could finally drive at a normal pace

What sort of dick does that? It was definitely intentional, he'd been driving well below the speed limit for the 2 or 3 miles I was stuck behind him.

I was following an obviously pissed driver home from work the other day. It was a middle-aged woman in a grey Peugeot 3007 with a cherished plate. 

Followed her up out of Barrow onto Paudy Lane. She negotiated the roundabout suspiciously slowly, then she was swerving into the verge and kicking up dirt, then drifting into the middle. She was drifting into the path of an oncoming articulated lorry and didn't miss it by much. Absolutely insane. 

On 10/05/2019 at 12:01, RonnieTodger said:

People that slow down to about 4mph for a speed bump

I drive a 1972 VW Beetle that's lowered, I have to slow right down for every speed bump but I try to take routes without them if I can, sorry.

• Like 1

Driving the windy roads of the Scottish Highlands today on three occasions I've had to brake hard because someone was coming the opposite direction around a corner at a speed in excess of their ability to stay on their side of the road.

There must be thousands of drivers who are still alive because of the alertness of other drivers, rather than their own ability or common sense (lack, thereof).

Edited by Trav Le Bleu

1 minute ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Driving the windy roads of the Scottish Highlands today on three occasions I've had to break hard because someone was coming the opposite direction around a corner at a speed in excess of their ability to stay on their side of the road.

There must be thousands of drivers who are still alive because of the alertness of other drivers, rather than their own ability or common sense (lack, thereof).

Totally agree. Equally there are hundreds who have met their demise because of those who lack awareness of their speed and position on the road.

By the way, it's "brake hard" not "break hard", unless your resting hard. Pedant central, here I come :P

31 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Totally agree. Equally there are hundreds who have met their demise because of those who lack awareness of their speed and position on the road.

By the way, it's "brake hard" not "break hard", unless your resting hard. Pedant central, here I come :P

You're :P

• Haha 3