Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

4 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Surely just the zipper merge...

image.png.e633234519913aed5589e44962f270b8.png

Correct Oz, a useful but unfortunately limited manoeuvre ...   as ...   and I quote from Collins English dictionary ...   “The zipper merge : To merge traffic together in an orderly fashion...  but only achievable if all merging drivers are male” 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Correct Oz, a useful but unfortunately limited manoeuvre ...   as ...   and I quote from Collins English dictionary ...   “The zipper merge : To merge traffic together in an orderly fashion...  but only achievable if all merging drivers are male” 

I think that might be "Colin's Dictionary"  lol 

4 hours ago, Countryfox said:

"And Under 65"

On 27/05/2019 at 16:31, Parafox said:

I believe that the vehicles on the main carriageway have priority of those joining from a slip road. A driver on the slip road should adjust speed to enable them to join the main carriageway safely. 

Edit: Just checked on DVLA Highway Code...

Ultimately, it is up to the vehicle joining the motorway to give way, if necessary, and filter on without causing any trouble. The Highway Code says that traffic joining the motorway should 'give priority to traffic already on the motorway' and 'adjust speed to fit safely into the traffic flow in the left-hand lane'.15 Feb 2008

There are certain places you expect people to be joining slowing, like the M1 entrance north from J21, or the Wanlip slip on the A46 due to either the amount of traffic or the short slip road... but people who can't get anywhere close to being up to speed with the rest of traffic when they have a massive and totally clear slip lane deserve to shot, or perhaps just called a willy puller. 

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

There are certain places you expect people to be joining slowing, like the M1 entrance north from J21, or the Wanlip slip on the A46 due to either the amount of traffic or the short slip road... but people who can't get anywhere close to being up to speed with the rest of traffic when they have a massive and totally clear slip lane deserve to shot, or perhaps just called a willy puller. 

I find the M1 north at j21 ridiculous. There is no need to go that slow. I once saw a car stop and indicate to be let out.

20 minutes ago, adam1 said:

I find the M1 north at j21 ridiculous. There is no need to go that slow. I once saw a car stop and indicate to be let out.

Rush hour you are lucky to get above 40 to join because of all the traffic. I've started slowing right down so that I've got a gap to accelerate into and get up to speed. But people behind don't know what I'm doing and just start trying to get round me, when I'm just trying to help the whole lane get some speed up. 

J21 approach going northbound should have the slow lane feed off and all those continuing on the M1 made to use lanes 2 and 3. Much like it is at Meadowhall. This would allow cars coming off the 69 or the  island to join the motorway without hoping that everyone pulls out. 

8 hours ago, Babylon said:

Rush hour you are lucky to get above 40 to join because of all the traffic. I've started slowing right down so that I've got a gap to accelerate into and get up to speed. But people behind don't know what I'm doing and just start trying to get round me, when I'm just trying to help the whole lane get some speed up. 

You must be a genius like me. I do the same.

Drivers not understanding that if cars are parked on their side of the road, they have to give way to oncoming traffic if there is not enough room.

Some t*** came over to my side side of the road to get round a parked car and when we came to an impasse, decided to give me a mouthful. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, CollinsLCFC said:

Drivers not understanding that if cars are parked on their side of the road, they have to give way to oncoming traffic if there is not enough room.

Some t*** came over to my side side of the road to get round a parked car and when we came to an impasse, decided to give me a mouthful. 

Yes I've had the same happen to me, it drives me crackers. With regards to the shit female driver stereotype, I find BMW and Audi drivers are far worse. Complete and utter arrogant idiots who have no regard for other road users. 

2 hours ago, CollinsLCFC said:

I don’t know where you live, but on Pullman Road in wigston there I stretch of road similar to the one you’re describing. What pisses me off is if I’ve pulled out to overtake the parked vehicles, and then some div belts around the corner and fvcking floors it to try and make a point and then tries to blame me, when the cvnt wasn’t even on the same road as me when I proceeded with my manoeuvre. I’ve had countless incidents on that road in my 20 years driving. 

• Like 1

Now is the time of year when LCC (or whoever) decides that half the roads in east Leicestershire need to be covered in loose gravel. This appears to be their idea of resurfacing. They kindly put up signs warning of skid risks, but fail to warn drivers that their cars are about to ruined by a shower of high speed bits of gravel being fired at them from the front, from the off-side, and from underneath. And it's not just B roads and country lanes, even the A47 at Skeffington has been done. It drives me bonkers.

4 hours ago, String fellow said:

Now is the time of year when LCC (or whoever) decides that half the roads in east Leicestershire need to be covered in loose gravel. This appears to be their idea of resurfacing. They kindly put up signs warning of skid risks, but fail to warn drivers that their cars are about to ruined by a shower of high speed bits of gravel being fired at them from the front, from the off-side, and from underneath. And it's not just B roads and country lanes, even the A47 at Skeffington has been done. It drives me bonkers.

It's not resurfacing, it's re-dressing. Stone embedded road surfaces are important for safety because of the extra grip they give. Simply slow down. The faster you go the more damage you are like to cause to your paintwork. Unfortunately there will be some dick coming in the opposite direction driving at speed that will flick stones up that hit your car but if you're speed is relatively slow, say 20 mph, you are less likely to suffer damage. To be fair, the LCC or whoever, do provide sweeper trucks that sweep up the loose stones a few days after the surface dressing.

• Thanks 1

P*sses me off when you're driving somewhere where you don't really know, there are two lanes to go straight on, you're in the left lane and all of a sudden there is just cars parked on the main road and no ****er will let you in. Most non-Brits always find it strange that we park on the road.

2 hours ago, Parafox said:

It's not resurfacing, it's re-dressing. Stone embedded road surfaces are important for safety because of the extra grip they give. Simply slow down. The faster you go the more damage you are like to cause to your paintwork. Unfortunately there will be some dick coming in the opposite direction driving at speed that will flick stones up that hit your car but if you're speed is relatively slow, say 20 mph, you are less likely to suffer damage. To be fair, the LCC or whoever, do provide sweeper trucks that sweep up the loose stones a few days after the surface dressing.

It's the surface that's being treated, therefore I regard it as resurfacing, even though you're doubtless correct with the jargon. If I'd driven at 20 mph on the A47 today, someone would have almost certainly overtaken, causing more damage. The only real answer is to not use the car at all when all this (unnecessary imo) re-dressing takes place.

13 hours ago, String fellow said:

It's the surface that's being treated, therefore I regard it as resurfacing, even though you're doubtless correct with the jargon. If I'd driven at 20 mph on the A47 today, someone would have almost certainly overtaken, causing more damage. The only real answer is to not use the car at all when all this (unnecessary imo) re-dressing takes place.

Yeah @Parafox you’ll just have to lug all your medi gear around on foot

On 29/05/2019 at 12:19, adam1 said:

Yep. It's painful getting on there most of the time.

On 29/05/2019 at 13:16, Sir Shep said:

J21 approach going northbound should have the slow lane feed off and all those continuing on the M1 made to use lanes 2 and 3. Much like it is at Meadowhall. This would allow cars coming off the 69 or the  island to join the motorway without hoping that everyone pulls out. 

Road authorities using common sense? We can but dream!

Being sat at a four-way temporary traffic lights for a good 15 minutes this morning whilst the other three directions had no issues. The few cars in front of me were not budging (perhaps rightly), but eventually I crept forwards and was swiftly followed by about 15 others, like the Pied Piper of South-West Leicestershire. 

Edited by David Guiza