Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

4 hours ago, Bert Fill said:

Drivers who sit in outside lanes certainly are a nuisance!

I can think of something worse though - impatient t055ers who respond to someone’s poor driving by being downright dangerous with their flashing, undertaking, pointing, beeping…

At least impatient tossers understand how to drive.

I'm not sure what's particularly dangerous about pointing, flashing and beeping.

Undertaking I can understand and tailgating, too. When I do undertake I do it gradually and carefully, not suddenly and aggressively. And only when it's the only remaining option short of contributing to worsening tailbacks.

Fact remains if more people were educated and knew how to use lanes, there wouldn't be a situation for anyone to get impatient at in the first place. Stop the problem at source. 

Guest Bert Fill
8 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

I'm not sure what's particularly dangerous about pointing, flashing and beeping.

Yeah, they were included more for comic effect tbh.

8 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Undertaking I can understand and tailgating, too.

I understand them, I just think they’re both really crap.

9 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

At least impatient tossers understand how to drive.

Debatable really, what with the undertaking and all.

14 minutes ago, Bert Fill said:

Yeah, they were included more for comic effect tbh.

I understand them, I just think they’re both really crap.

I meant I can understand how they're dangerous. 

I can only speak for myself, but I reluctantly undertake knowing that it's wrong but recognising it's the only solution to otherwise contributing to a worsening situation. It's not my fault the 'problem' exists, but I'll do what I can to help to resolve additional congestion by taking it into my own hands. 

I think that's what annoys me most. People that cruise obliviously in the outside lane take zero responsibility for what goes on around them, despite the fact they are the root cause of so many issues of congestion, and of course accidents. 

People will get too emotionally charged and drive erratically in response. I do, I think, avoid letting that translate into aggressive driving. I save my aggression for gesturing in the vain hope I might teach someone something about what they're doing wrong, which might change their actions in future.

Edited by Nod.E

15 minutes ago, Bert Fill said:

If idiots weren't driving in the wrong lane undertaking would be impossible. 

Why am I going to switch 3 lanes, twice, because others don't know how to drive? 

• Like 3

Guest Bert Fill
7 hours ago, Nod.E said:

I meant I can understand how they're dangerous. 

I can only speak for myself, but I reluctantly undertake knowing that it's wrong but recognising it's the only solution to otherwise contributing to a worsening situation. It's not my fault the 'problem' exists, but I'll do what I can to help to resolve additional congestion by taking it into my own hands. 

I think that's what annoys me most. People that cruise obliviously in the outside lane take zero responsibility for what goes on around them, despite the fact they are the root cause of so many issues of congestion, and of course accidents. 

People will get too emotionally charged and drive erratically in response. I do, I think, avoid letting that translate into aggressive driving. I save my aggression for gesturing in the vain hope I might teach someone something about what they're doing wrong, which might change their actions in future.

Good points, well made, I get where you’re coming from now. Still disagree with the undertaking though! (but yes, cautious and reluctant undertaking is better than the other sort!)

Guest Bert Fill
13 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Why am I going to switch 3 lanes, twice, because others don't know how to drive? 

Because you do know how to drive?

Just now, Bert Fill said:

Because you do know how to drive?

Indeed. But my humble risk assessment says to me that the safer manoeuvre is for me to carry on very carefully in the lane I'm in, all the time waiting for the car outside me to pull in, although not really expecting them to, else they would already have done it, rather than cross right over to the outside lane and back again. 

People in the wrong lane on the motorway is one thing, but there seems to be a new trend developing of people thinking it's a good idea to approach a roundabout, wanting the first exit, go in the right hand lane and then immediately turn across the front of whoever is in the left hand lane. Last week saw a pair of these twats almost cause a 5 car accident, the poor fecker in front of me had one of them go straight across the front of him and behind him simultaneously, I still don't know how they didn't hit him, I've had to emergency stop to avoid the almost pile up and a van came barrelling up behind me not paying attention that ony just stopped in time too. What makes it worse, is that if you did happen to accidentally get in the wrong lane and need that exit, all you have to do is go all the way around the roundabout once and come off safely, but nah, **** that, they're in the right hand lane because DURR MUST OVERTAKE NOW, DESPITE THE FACT I'M ABOUT TO LEAVE THIS ROAD, so why waste 20 seconds going round again when you could put yourself and several other people into a hospital immediately?

Guest Bert Fill
1 minute ago, FoxesDeb said:

Indeed. But my humble risk assessment says to me that the safer manoeuvre is for me to carry on very carefully in the lane I'm in, all the time waiting for the car outside me to pull in, although not really expecting them to, else they would already have done it, rather than cross right over to the outside lane and back again. 

Well I think we both agree that it’s pants (and dangerous pants at that) to be forced by someone else’s oblivious dimwittedness to choose between two poor options. Even if we don’t agree on which poor option to choose!

36 minutes ago, orangecity23 said:

People in the wrong lane on the motorway is one thing, but there seems to be a new trend developing of people thinking it's a good idea to approach a roundabout, wanting the first exit, go in the right hand lane and then immediately turn across the front of whoever is in the left hand lane. Last week saw a pair of these twats almost cause a 5 car accident, the poor fecker in front of me had one of them go straight across the front of him and behind him simultaneously, I still don't know how they didn't hit him, I've had to emergency stop to avoid the almost pile up and a van came barrelling up behind me not paying attention that ony just stopped in time too. What makes it worse, is that if you did happen to accidentally get in the wrong lane and need that exit, all you have to do is go all the way around the roundabout once and come off safely, but nah, **** that, they're in the right hand lane because DURR MUST OVERTAKE NOW, DESPITE THE FACT I'M ABOUT TO LEAVE THIS ROAD, so why waste 20 seconds going round again when you could put yourself and several other people into a hospital immediately?

Just as bad are people in the left lane approaching a roundabout who then go all the way round and take the third or fourth exit, meaning I'm driving alongside them and they try and turn off at the same exit as me, making me brake to have to allow them to merge in front of me. 

• Like 1

I get the feeling a lot of people are just shit at driving round roundabouts.

My pet peeve is, when turning right at one with two lanes, you get folk joining at the next entry wanting to go straight on before you're actually past them properly, as they think you'll stay in the right hand lane even though you're often supposed to move to the left depending on the roundabout layout.

It's a bit of a pain in the arse to explain, but it happens at least half the time I turn right on to New Parks Way from Glenfield Road

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Just as bad are people in the left lane approaching a roundabout who then go all the way round and take the third or fourth exit, meaning I'm driving alongside them and they try and turn off at the same exit as me, making me brake to have to allow them to merge in front of me. 

This is the beauty of having an Amazon van.

Mate, if you're trying to cut me up, sneak in front of me, or just be in the wrong lane, you've picked the wrong guy to fvck with.

This 3 tonnes of metal isn't mine and I don't care if I smash the shit out of your car when it's clearly your fault.

Natural instincts usually kick in though, but it's going to happen one day.

There are so many poor drivers out there.

I'm not perfect, none of us are, but if I'm in a strange place and find myself in the wrong lane, I'll correct as soon as possible by signalling and waiting for someone to let me out. Or, I'll just keep going until I find a safe place to turn around.

Another big bugbear of mine is if a lane is shut and there's probably a sign giving you notice a mile before, but nob heads race down and try to force their way in.

They don't understand that it's them causing the congestion they're trying to avoid.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Another big bugbear of mine is if a lane is shut and there's probably a sign giving you notice a mile before, but nob heads race down and try to force their way in.

They don't understand that it's them causing the congestion they're trying to avoid.

Disagree on that one.  Use the available road, the signs are there to let people know to be ready for zip-merging once the 2nd lane disappears, not telling them to start queuing long before the merge.  I'm one of those irritating people that 'jumps' the queue by driving to the end of the needlessly empty lane.

People who don’t indicate when turning left at a roundabout. Seen a few recently when walking where people are turning off main roads (left or right) without indicating and the car behind nearly rear ends them. So annoying. 

53 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Disagree on that one.  Use the available road, the signs are there to let people know to be ready for zip-merging once the 2nd lane disappears, not telling them to start queuing long before the merge.  I'm one of those irritating people that 'jumps' the queue by driving to the end of the needlessly empty lane.

Yes I'm definitely with you on this one, why queue from a mile or so back leaving a lane completely empty? If everyone just merged at the zip the queue would be pretty non existant. 

It's the people queuing in one lane while another one is still open who cause the congestion. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

Yes I'm definitely with you on this one, why queue from a mile or so back leaving a lane completely empty? If everyone just merged at the zip the queue would be pretty non existant. 

It's the people queuing in one lane while another one is still open who cause the congestion. 

If the RAC are saying to do it that's good enough for me.

3 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

It's the people not allowing others to merge that cause the problem because see it as an affront because they've queued in the first 2 lanes for 20 mins.

6 hours ago, Unabomber said:

People who don’t indicate when turning left at a roundabout. Seen a few recently when walking where people are turning off main roads (left or right) without indicating and the car behind nearly rear ends them. So annoying. 

Yep another pet peeve of mine. Someone suddenly slamming on the brakes in front of me to turn off left without any warning whatsoever. 

8 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I get the feeling a lot of people are just shit at driving round roundabouts.

My pet peeve is, when turning right at one with two lanes, you get folk joining at the next entry wanting to go straight on before you're actually past them properly, as they think you'll stay in the right hand lane even though you're often supposed to move to the left depending on the roundabout layout.

It's a bit of a pain in the arse to explain, but it happens at least half the time I turn right on to New Parks Way from Glenfield Road

There's a roundabout near where I live in Lincoln that is horrendous for this. I turn right there regularly and have had a few near misses. 

Sometimes though with roundabouts they are not clear. There are plenty in existence where you are in the correct lane (road markings) only to be in the wrong lane when you get to it.

Whilst we might know the junction there will be those who get caught out.

On the other hand.... some people are really stupid and cant process simple information.

How many times do I see cars in the right hand lane cut across me to head towards Leicester...

Screenshot_20210706-074700_Maps.jpg

Edited by adam1

2 hours ago, adam1 said:

Sometimes though with roundabouts they are not clear. There are plenty in existence where you are in the correct lane (road markings) only to be in the wrong lane when you get to it.

Whilst we might know the junction there will be those who get caught out.

On the other hand.... some people are really stupid and cant process simple information.

How many times do I see cars in the right hand lane cut across me to head towards Leicester...

I find one of the worst for this is Fosse Park island approaching from Narborough Road South.