Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

I treated myself to a bag of poncy salt and Chardonnay vinegar crisps.

By the time I got home they were no longer tucked into the pocket on my rucksack.

So if anyone sees my crisps somewhere on the A43 out of Kettering - they're mine and I would like them back.

21 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Not annoyed me, but fvck me, around 2pm today, J16 southbound M1, I'm exiting to go home and some guy towing a caravan has VERY nearly lost it.

Snaking across lane 1 and 2, caravan literally going on 2 wheels side to side.

I've never towed, but can imagine it's difficult. Can't believe this guy recovered it. Genuinely thought it was going to tip and take the car. I was preparing to call 999.

I've attended several overturned caravans, often taking the car with them.

Usually this is attributed to excessive speed. (50mph is the legal max speed when towing any trailer, including caravans). The higher the speed the more unstable the caravan becomes, particularly those with 2 wheels. 

Counter-intuitively though, if you start to lose control, don't brake as the physics of weight and momentum will take you out. 

• Like 1

Just to relate a towing story, several years ago we attended a collision on the M1 SB before J23 Loughborough reported as truck v camper van.

When we got there fire service were already in attendance. We were confronted with a scene where a truck had rear-ended a camper van towing a trailer with a stock car on board. The stock car had been shunted off the trailer and through the back of the camper van. The front of the stock car had penetrated the small sleeping compartment above the cab, in which there was a guy sleeping. Amazingly, he was unhurt, albeit trapped. The trailer undershot the van and was wedged. The trailer also carried LPG fuel for the stock car.

How on earth there wasn't an explosion and no deaths, none of us could figure out

19 hours ago, Nod.E said:

Or, hear me out here, you don't know how to use the lanes properly. 

Happens so often that 'the traffic' is triggered by some air head 5 cars in front doing 60 for no reason whatsoever in the right lane. Made worse because people are happy to tolerate this and proceed to sit behind them at the same speed rather than either a) making a point to the driver in front to tuck in or b) moving across and eventually getting past said air head.

More often than not it only takes a couple of undertakes or a little time in the middle/left lane and you're left with nobody in sight. Put simply, the source of the traffic is usually people not knowing how to use lanes correctly.

I do have sympathy if you're talking about massive tailbacks/congestion, though. Zero point getting impatient in those scenarios. Usually when that happens I'll just cruise in the left lane because most people seem to think the 'fast' right lane will help them to navigate the slow traffic quicker. Except most people appear to think that way, so there are more people in that lane, so it's slower. Plus you have to deal with impatient idiots who think they'll be able to bully their way through 50 car deep traffic.

Point is, there are impatient idiots and then there are good, active drivers that get impatient with idiots. Sometimes it looks like the same thing, dare I say it probably does look the same thing if you're not paying attention.

Should have made myself clear.  In the right hand lane of two (Scottish motorway :rolleyes: )  overtaking slow lorries.

Someone in front is doing 60, there are a load of us queueing behind whoever it is that isn't moving left or making progress (but still overtaking the lorries).

Audi rushes up behind me, joining a queue of cars who all want to get by the lorries, and starts arseriding me, swerving in and out, suggestive of "get out of my way".

I would suggest that the Audi has no more right to progress than I do.   If he starts driving dangerously because he's impatient, he should realise he is in a queue.

Edited by Vacamion
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Normally rarely see a car when I take the dogs out.

The A14 is a car park so loads of morons are using our back roads as a rat run, flying around far too quickly. We have all manner of beasties leaping out of the hedge rows and currently have loads of muntjac all over the shop. If you're driving around here over 45mph you're a d1ck - let alone motorway speeds.

Had two ignoring right of way and trying to embed themselves in my bonnet and got cut up by three more at two junctions. I swear they didn't even look. I struggle to see how these people aren't constantly writing off cars.

2 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Taxi pulled to the side of the road with hazards on, and stayed still for a minute or so. I've begun to pass it, and he's decided that was the time for him to set off again 

Full time drivers and they are mainly incompetent.

• Like 1

****ing Smart Motorways lol 

Not got many round where I live but just back from a trip down south and have got a lovely 3pts and £100 for going under the regular motorway speed limit. 

Booooo hisssssss

54 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Not got many round where I live but just back from a trip down south and have got a lovely 3pts and £100 for going under the regular motorway speed limit. 

Booooo hisssssss

Get Google maps on your phone, always.

Even if you know the way or use the car satnav.

You'll get a lovely loud beep warning you of the motorway speed cameras.

Driving back home this evening on the M6 through Birmingham, the so called 'smart motorway' was an absolute farce though.

Gantries every mile or half a mile, each with a different speed limit displayed.

50, then 60, then 40, then 50, then national limit, then 40 again...

Plus, in areas where there are roadworks, with static signs displaying 50, the gantry is displaying 60.

What the actual fvck? 

Edited by tom27111
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, AjcW said:

Booooo hisssssss

Girlfriend got hit with the exact same thing recently, on her way back from Manchester got done for doing 70 when it had become a 60. 

Looked to see if it had changed just as she got there, apparently had been 60 consistently for about a day 

2 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Girlfriend got hit with the exact same thing recently, on her way back from Manchester got done for doing 70 when it had become a 60. 

Looked to see if it had changed just as she got there, apparently had been 60 consistently for about a day 

Yeah mine was 7 minutes prior and I was trying to get round an arse hole in the overtaking lane on his phone going slow… I bet he didn’t get clocked lol 

So far, each time I’ve gone through the new 5 ways junction at fosse road (heading from blackbird road to fosse Road) cars have been in wrong lane and swerved across last minute. I thought it was meant to make it less confusing 😂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Get Google maps on your phone, always.

Even if you know the way or use the car satnav.

You'll get a lovely loud beep warning you of the motorway speed cameras.

Driving back home this evening on the M6 through Birmingham, the so called 'smart motorway' was an absolute farce though.

Gantries every mile or half a mile, each with a different speed limit displayed.

50, then 60, then 40, then 50, then national limit, then 40 again...

Plus, in areas where there are roadworks, with static signs displaying 50, the gantry is displaying 60.

What the actual fvck? 

Plus, when they are actually letting you do 70mph for a bit, they don't display the national symbol (or they flash it up for a few seconds). They just turn the display off. So you have to drive past a few before feeling like you can do 70, and you haven't just driven under a broken one. Balls to the M6.

9Why can't we have road signs that actually work and 'warn' us?

Joined m1 yesterday at j23 around 8pm. After a bit it said 2 lanes closed...fine I said. This then turned into m1 closed between j22 and j21. Why the fook not tell me this before I got on at Loughborough? 

I was steaming all the way round the ring road to j19 at fosse Park.

11 hours ago, FLAN said:

So far, each time I’ve gone through the new 5 ways junction at fosse road (heading from blackbird road to fosse Road) cars have been in wrong lane and swerved across last minute. I thought it was meant to make it less confusing 😂

Equally confusing is the Fosse Park roundabout heading out of the city. The road markings directing which lane to use are just wrong.

52 minutes ago, Chiltern Fox said:

9Why can't we have road signs that actually work and 'warn' us?

Joined m1 yesterday at j23 around 8pm. After a bit it said 2 lanes closed...fine I said. This then turned into m1 closed between j22 and j21. Why the fook not tell me this before I got on at Loughborough? 

I was steaming all the way round the ring road to j19 at fosse Park.

Not meaning to be pedantic but, isn't J19 the Catthorpe Interchange?

I guess you meant J21 otherwise you really have taken the long way round. lol

As a motorist and a cyclist I can’t for the life of me understand the need to put huge concrete blocks (Middleton St, Aylestone Rd) to divide the cycle lane from the road, for want of a better word it’s overkill and completely unnecessary. 
I don’t think they’re particularly easy to see and expect a few cars will clip them.

Plus it leaves nowhere to pull in and get out of the way of the emergency services. 
It’s all well and good trying to get people out of cars and onto bikes but our cycle lanes are rubbish, often ending abruptly and straight into traffic.

We’ll never be like the Dutch where the cyclists are kings of the road.

• Like 4